PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger for More

Silverback
07-04-2004, 05:16 AM
It's been a long time, but several injuries later and gaining my degree see's me back to the place that educated me :)

At present my goals are not of hugeness, but Athletic Ability in both Physique and Performance. Ive been back training 12 weeks after the 10 month lay-off.

Here are my current lifts/Stats:

Height: 6'1
Weight: 206lbs
Body fat: ???

Deadlift: 140kg (308lbs) x 8
OHP: 58kg (127lbs) x 8
Squat: 130kg (286lbs) x 12
Bench press: 70kg (154lbs) x 6

The aim is to increase my strength and speed and decrease my weight, therefore improving my power/weight ratio.

The journal will include my: Weight training, Speed training and Diet, plus picture updates to judge progress. Here are some pics to get me started, fire away!!!

TheGimp
07-04-2004, 05:23 AM
Sounds good man, looking forward to seeing how things pan out. Good luck :thumbup:

Looking pretty good too :)

rookiebldr
07-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Welcome back to the journey. Looks like you've kept yourself lean during the layoff period. Well done.

Coke
07-05-2004, 07:10 AM
I wish you the best always...you were the very first cat to lend me some support - I'm here for you bro.

Silverback
07-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Gimp Hey man, thanks for chiming. Im hoping things will pan out sweetly, i know ive got a long way to go especially with the diet. But this journal will provide the imputus to keep me on the right track.

Rookie: Thanks bro, nice to see you drop by, things should start looking better when i get some decent workouts on board.

Cocoa: cheers mate, ive been a little slack with other journals but time is short. Its only now that im finding a little time to do my thing ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Workout (6th July 04)

Deadlift: 145kg (320lbs) x 6reps (x3sets)

A new PR, i seem to have a good momentum going with the deads, im aiming for 400lbs by the year end, a challenge yes. But if im pulling that kind of weight then my sprint times will come down with it.

Bench Press (Flat): 67.5kg (150lbs) x 7 x 5

Upper body weak as ever, but improving nonetheless. I suppose it will be harder when dieting to add weight, but im sure i can make steady progress.

Chins: BodyWeight x 10 (x2)

These were tough as always, but it felt good to finally hit 2 sets of 10 :)

DB Shoulder Press: 24kg (52.8lbs) x 6

The reps were fine, it was just pretty damn hard getting the weights upto my shoulders to start the reps.

Incline Shrugs: 24kg (52.8lbs) x 12

Walking Lunges: 20kg (45lbs) x 20 (x2)

Love the pain these bring my legs!! they feel like they're going to explode. Im banking on these being a big weapon my speed development.

That was the workout, felt okay. A little fatigued come the end of the workout, but considering ive been doing the Pool Lifeguard course this week, ive not been bad.

laterz B-R :)

Coke
07-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Good stuff, you are starting to get on man.

Tank23
07-10-2004, 03:20 AM
Hey dude! Nice session there. Good to see u back into training.

Silverback
07-11-2004, 03:08 AM
Cocoa: thanks for the input bro, im hoping to get some momentum gained in the strength side of things in the coming months, above all the 400lbs deadlift is my most coveted aim.

Jov Thanks for dropping by mate, we'll have to catch-up on msn some time :)

Workout: 10/7/04:

Worout was done a day later than planned, all the swimming i did on the course left me shattered, didnt get any time to do my sprint work either :( , will be on track next week though.

Seated Overhead Press: 57.5kg (126.5lbs) x 7 x 5

These were okay, after taking the week off strength/motor pattern was a little off, but i know that ill get the full reps next week. OHP has to be my favourite movement by far :)

Barbell Row: 47.5kg (104.5lbs) x 10 (x3)

Concentrating on form with these, before i start adding alot of weight. At the moment im super strict, but i know that over time i can get sloppy, thus im trying to take it steady.

DB Bench: 28kg (61lbs) x 6

The reps were fairly easy, the hardest part is getting the db's in position. Its like im wrestling with the damn things!!!

Squats: 110kg (242) x 6 (x3)

Well 2 weeks ago i got a 130kg (285lbs) PR for 6, but since then my knees have felt so sore, ive had to back off a little, especially with the sprinting im doing.

Chins: Bodyweight x 10, x 8

Damn chins are tough, if it wasn't for Xzhibit playing on the sound system i dont think i could of made the reps :) hehe.

That was the workout finshed and me knackered!

On a side note im having a little trouble fitting my sprints round my weight training, usually the day after weights is a no-no, because of leg fatigue. Just wondering if any guys who sprint would like to chip in with their ideas, geoff???

Tank23
07-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Yeh mate, hop on MSN some time. Now that I'm back at uni this week, I'll be on the net pretty much every night.

Eyyy!! We're pushing the same weight on OHP at the moment dude.

Damn nice squatting Andy, 130kg is awesome! You have me beat there mate :D

Ay what style of training are you using atm? Is it a heavy duty type routine?

TheGimp
07-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a good couple of workouts. Lifting some nice weights there :)

Silverback
07-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Jo': Good'ay fellla, hows tricks? Im currently following a routine from over at Hardgainer (produced by Dave Maurice) its BASIC, the most important aspect of the routine is progressive resistance when and where possible!!! seems to be doing the trick nicely, especially in improving my strength. Size gains were quality, but my focus is of strength/size at this point.

Gimp: Thanks for the input mate, where you from in the UK then? have you got a journal going? The weights are alright, my upper body sucks allround, but with time i'll change that.

SPRINT workout:

Warm-up:
900m steady state
3 x butt kicks
3 x high knees
2 x carioca
3 x fast feet/calf hops

Sprints =

35m x 10

Rest x 10 mins

35m x 10

Im focusing on shorter distances and higher reps at the moment, ive not got the speed quality to be doing anything above 40m, so while i hone technique/improve body comp this training will suit me fine.

Thats it, will update with weight training sesh later

B-R

Beast
07-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. How dare you start this without notifying me!

6'1" 206 is a great weight. Just think, you're bigger than Brad Pitt, lol.

Your DLs are sweet. So you're just interested in gaining strength, not bulking at all?

Silverback
07-14-2004, 03:37 AM
Whoa whoa whoa. How dare you start this without notifying me!

6'1" 206 is a great weight. Just think, you're bigger than Brad Pitt, lol.

Your DLs are sweet. So you're just interested in gaining strength, not bulking at all?

lol, thanks mate. Bigger than Brad Pitt maybe, but thats by no means big :)

Strength and Speed is my goal and hopefully injury permitting i'll be back on the football field. I'd love to get really big, but i just dont have the genetics :(

Workout:

Deadlift:
145kg (320lbs) x 6
146kg (321lbs) x 6
147.5kg (325lbs) x 6

Another new PR set, and to be honest i felt as though i had way more in the tank. But part of my program is to use conservatism where possible, in order to keep gaining momentum. Im using Micro-loading with mini-weight discs to help make poundage increments without noticeable difference on the bar. I would reccomend it to anyone :)

Bench Press:

67.5kg (150lbs) x 6 (x2)

Should be ready for an increase next week, ever since the shoulder injury my bench has never been the same :( , but im trying to just keep on plugging away

Chins: Bodyweight x 10 x 7

These were tough as usual, the damn calluses on my hands were burning.

DB Overhead Press:

20kg (45lbs) x 8

Kept this light, i was tired at this point and didnt feel the need to push too far, especially after PR's in the DL's and Bench

Walking Lunges:

20kg (45lbs per hand) x 20 (x3)

Love this movement, quads, hams and glutes get a serious workout. Not sure when to add weight, because they are really taxing at the moment.

I finished off with a few sets of external rotation for my shoulders, using bands provided by my physio.

My diet needs some serious attention, im trying to get my bodyfat down to 7% ish, but my refeeds almost end up as binges. Which is surely counterproductive to my cutting goals, i think yesterday was something like 5000 cals which aint good :(
Any advice would be good!!!

till next time

B-R

TheGimp
07-14-2004, 08:03 AM
I'm from north London. Let me draw your attention to my sig as far as a journal goes ;) Your weights are certainly impressive compared to mine.

Coke
07-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Nice work bro, best of luck on the diet tip.

Silverback
07-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Gimp: lol, what am i like!!!, everything i asked was in your profile!!! heheh. i'll be sure to check out the journo fella :)

Cocoa: thanks man, have a long way to reach your standard, but im willing to go that far.

Workout: 16/7/04

BB Overhead Press: 57.5kg (126lbs) x 8 x 5

First set was quality, hit the 8 reps no problem. But by the time second set rolled round the weight was a real challenge.

BB Row: 47.5kg (105lbs) x 10 (x3)

Still getting back into the BB rows, nice and light, high reps. But still gave the lats, mid back and traps all-round stimulation :)

DB Press: 26kg (57lbs) x 10

Technique with the dumbells is hard to get right, only been at them a couple of weeks also, so things are a little rusty. Especially since im dieting.

Squat: 102.5kg (206lbs): x 18

Tried how many times i could squat bodyweight, unfortunately not many, but at least there is room for improvement :)

Chins: Bodyweight x 10, Negatives (+2.5kg) (5.5lbs) x 8

The negatives really hammered the arms and lats, which is what i wanted.

That was the workout finished, my goals are really muddled at the moment. I dont know what i want. Im almost obsessed with size, but sprinting fast is almost as self-satisfying, totally confused over what i want :help:

take care guys

B-R

Coke
07-17-2004, 09:18 AM
It will happen man, just stay on the program with the weights and conditioning...doing good.

skyjumper
07-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Bench Press (Flat): 67.5kg (150lbs) x 7 x 5

Upper body weak as ever, but improving nonetheless. I suppose it will be harder when dieting to add weight, but im sure i can make steady progress.

Chins: BodyWeight x 10 (x2)

These were tough as always, but it felt good to finally hit 2 sets of 10 :)

Upper body is not all that weak if you can knock out 2 sets of 10 chins. Good job!

Silverback
07-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Like the title suggests, things have changed for me. Dont worry im not doing a "Monstar" TM:D

My new goals are centred around size, size and yup more size :) Firstly after purchasing and reading Lyle's UD2 e-book, it was apparent that i shouldnt be dieting at my size and body fat levels, especially the early phase requesting the mirror check :) The second factor was some comments at work from girls suprised that i was dieting, the combination of the two prompted me to return to chasing what i love most. Which is getting big of course :thumbup:

My primary goals are to: 1: Deadlift 400lbs for reps, 2: Attain a 45" chest, 16"arms. 3: Do this in a 3 year period (deadlift excluded) :)

I'll be starting the routine next week and will have more details on my training and diet etc... later this week. On a side note im getting some blood work done tommorow in order to assess potential amongst other things, which could influence further decisions.

Thanks for all the support thus far, and hopefully let it continue :)

B-R

Silverback
07-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Into the first week of the new routine, basically i'll go through what it entails and some of the principles i'll follow. Week by week i'll chart my training, nutrition, supplementation etc... in order to not only help myself, but to get feedback on what im doing right or wrong :)

The routine is created on a HIT base with elements of Dorian Yates, Heavy Duty, Beyond Brawn and a sprinkle of Doggcrapp :) It's an A and B routine rotated on a schedule as follows:

Monday: Routine A
Wednesday: B
Friday: A
Monday: B
etc...

Routine A:
Deadlift (3 sets) x 6
Bench Press: (2) x 6-8
Chins: (2-3) x 8-10
DB Shoulder Press: (1) Moderate
Incline Shrugs: (2) x 10-12
Accessories:
Hammer Curl (1)

Routine B:
BB Overhead Press (2) x 8-10
Squats: (1) x 20
Yates Rows: (3) x 8-10
Incline DB Bench: (1) x Moderate
Accessories:
Calve Raises (1)

Between exercises i will do extreme stretches where appropriate and safe. My diet will comprise of progressive eating, whereby when i plateau with strength increases/weight gain, i increase quality nutritional intake.

I'll keep it short and sweet for now and keep you guys informed. take care and good luck with ya'll training routines too :D

Silverback
07-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Workout B (wed/28/7/04)

Overhead Press: 57.5kg (126.5lbs) x 7 x 5

Lost a few reps off my last workout, but had physio yesterday and my shoulder was a little sore after the ultrasound and sheering techniques (yup its as painful as it sounds!!!)

Squat: 80kg (176lbs) x 10 (x2)

Dropped my squat weight down, my tendonitis in my knees has been hampering me, therefore im just knocking down and building back up, my legs are pretty developed at the moment anyway.

Barbell Rows: 52.5kg (115.5lbs) x 10 (x3)

These were pretty comfortable, since bringing them back into my routine the increases have been 5lbs a week. This is pleasing and hopefully i'll be into new poundage ground at the end of this cycle.

Incline DB Press (moderate): 28kg (61lbs) x 7

Once again, comfortable repping. Before i get flamed for taking things easy, this is the beggining of a new cycle. Therefore intensity/weights will increase in correlation with time taken throughout this cylcle.

1 legged Calve Raise: (15kg DB) x 10/10

The heat was unreal, between each set i had to virtually use a new towel. As i was sweating so much :(!!!

Song of the Day: Twista (Sunshine) one word, awsome!

Ive also just finished Dorian's 'Warriors Story' book, if you haven't read it and you are interested in Bodybuilding/Dorian in particular then do so. Not only is it extremely motivational reading about what he had to go through to achieve what he did. But it also puts training and nutrition in perspective, which i really needed :)

puh!puh!puh!
:shoot:

B-R

Allenronm
07-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Good Luck.

Beast
07-28-2004, 04:53 PM
It's smart of you to take it easy. That way you won't get injured! Lifts are looking good.

HIT is great... To this day I usually keep every exercise to only one working set. I can see the sprinkle of DC in your routine, too. :)

WillKuenzel
07-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Good luck with the new routine. I still incorporate some ideas from those training principles in my training even though I do more Westside-ish style training now.

What's the diet looking like? You did say you were going to post it too, didn't you? ;)

Silverback
07-29-2004, 06:32 AM
Allen Thanks bro :)

Beast: exactly, i know what it is to train hard, its just at the moment i'd rather build up gradually. Doggcrapp is quality, not ready for it yet, but the extreme stretching is very useful.

Will Thanks for dropping by, means alot. You've had alot of success with training on a lowerish volume and i think i can get the same benefits. lol, here's the diet :)

I try to keep things simple with both training and nutrition, there's no faddy combo's/exclusions, just basic moderation.

Meal 1 (8-9am) :
6 Egg Whites
2 Egg Yolks
Oatmeal,Milk, Raisins
Fish Oil

Meal 2 (11am)
BBQ Chicken
Pasta or Sweet Potato
Flax Oil

Meal 3 (1-2pm):
Tuna
Brown Rice
Mixed Vegetables

Pre Workout 4: (4pm)
30grams Whey Protein
1 Banana

Post Workout 5: (6pm)
40grams Protein
40g Dextrose

Meal 6 (7pm):
BBQ Chicken
Pasta or Oatmeal
Fish Oil
Mixed vegetables

Meal 7: (10pm)
4Egg Whites
1 Egg Yolk
Oatmeal, Milk

I eat that basically everyday with a few alterations, depending on what i fancy. If anyone want breakdowns of nutrients etc.. just ask, but it provides 3000/3250cals and 300g of protein. I will keep it like this and see how progress is, with time/increased size then i will increase volume of intake.

Supplements:
Fish Oil
Prolab Advanced Whey
VIT C/E
Multi Vit
Dorian Yates Approved: Pro-MR
Glucosamine
Creatine

Think that covers it :)

Coke
07-29-2004, 07:02 AM
Your diet looks ace...best of luck with everything!

Tank23
07-29-2004, 07:08 AM
Things are looking absolutely great in here Andy. You're making nice progress.

I like the way you're leaving a 'few in the tank'. Man I'm doing Westside, and I'm having a hard time not training too hard on accessory exercises.

...and dude, you copied my breakfast!! I just changed my breakfast yesterday, what a bloody co-incidence ay!

oh and dude...I'm glad you've become obsessed with size again, I've become obsessed again too, only this time with size AND strength! :)

Beast
07-29-2004, 08:45 AM
NICE diet. You'll definitely make good gains.

Silverback
07-31-2004, 06:43 AM
Cocoa: Hey, Thanks, im pretty anal about my diet, the thing is it can make or break you. Id rather it make me :)

Jovan: cheers for dropping by mate, lol @ the breakfast. Im planning on making great gains over the next few months/years, ive got a 5 year plan to get where i want to be, then i'll see what i feel like then. Yeah im the same partly because of the correlation between Strength and Size being too hard to ignore :D

Arnold jr: :) thanks bro, as i said to cocoa, the diet is key as you know and you aint gonna get big unless you eat right :)

Workout A: 31/7/04

Deadlift: 155kg (341lbs) x 6 (2)

Damn loved hitting another new PR in the deadlift, watched Blood n Guts before my workout so i was fired up :D The deadlift is my new favourite exercise, its great lifting a huge weight off the floor and when you lockout oh boy! :) lol

BB Bench: 70kg (154lbs) x 6 (x2)

Another PR, my shoulder seems getting stronger by the week. The day i hit bodyweight x 6 will be one awsome day :) Felt good having a pair of 45lb'ers on the bar.

Chins: BW x 8 x 6

No PR, but good sets nonetheless. My legs are real heavy so progress on the chins aint ideal, but as soon as i hit the double 8 then i'll be strapping some weight to me.

DB Overhead Press: 24kg (53lbs) x 8

This is the most ive ever done on the DB's even before my injury, i could probably get more, but hoisting then db's off my lap is pretty tuff, think as my bicep stength increases that action will become easier.

DB Shrugs: 30kg (66lbs) x 10

Nice and easy, got some good contractions. Will definately be increasing the weight on these bad boys.

Incline DB Curls: 14kg (31lbs) x 8

Alright i may be a HIT advocate, but i've gotta satisfy the curl jockey with, right? :D anyway i can only see one moderate set as a good thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was really satisfied with the workout, felt good to hit so many PR's in one session, i sign of things to come. I should say that all the lifts don't include warm-ups in case anyone was wondering.

Diet etc.. will be posted when im back from work,

B-R

rookiebldr
07-31-2004, 07:26 AM
Congrats on changing the course to SIZE and STRENGTH. The goals look great and almost nothing feels better than getting pr's, curl jockey. ;)

Coke
07-31-2004, 06:09 PM
Fine session overall - congrats on the pr's.

Tank23
08-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Geez a 5 year plan! Damn you're organised Andy.

Nice session there mate. Ay when u say that all the lifts don't include warmups, what do you mean?

Beast
08-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Woo, nice PRs. I changed my title back to Arnold, Jr. :D

Silverback
08-02-2004, 01:58 PM
rookie: Thanks for chiming in mate, good to have someone with knowledge in the game casting an eye. And yeah the size and strength goals are more like my style, ever since i was little i had a fascination with muscle. Shame injuries have slowed my progress in the past.

Cocoa: Cheers fella :) Felt good to hit up some PR's, though im far from your awsome benching :thumbup:

Jovan: If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail!!! ;) If i can add an average of 6lbs of Lean Body Mass per year from now, ill have 30lbs of pure muscle, which would leave me at about 230lbs shredded, im pretty sure ill be happy with that.

As for not including warm-ups, sorry for any confusion. I do warm-ups its just that i dont list them in the journal. Basically its 3 warm-ups for the Major compunds, 2 for compounds and 1 for smaller body parts :)

Arnold jr: Thats what i like to see :) thanks for the feedback bro.

Workout B: 2/8/04:

BB Overhead Press (seated): 57.5kg (126.5lbs) x 8 (x2)

Felt good to actually get the full reps on this, its actually the most weight ive ever overhead pressed!!! So there was special meaning in it :)

Squat: 90kg (200lbs) x 10 (x3)
Immediately followed with 20 reps of db pullovers (20kg/45lbs)
Knee felt much better and these squats were real easy, hopefully the recovery will continue and i'll have legs like Ronnie in no time, yeah buddy!!!

BB Row: 55kg (121lbs) x 10 (x2)

The actual pulling/back work is not too hard, but my lower back was giving me grief after the squats, i may revert to DB rows to save my back.

Incline DB Press: 28kg (61.5lbs) x 8

Nice moderate set, next week i'll bump to the 30kg's, my old PR was 35kg's for 6, so im gunning for that weight :)

Single Leg, Calve Raises: 20kg (45lbs) x 10 (each leg)

Nice work, calves were burning after the sets.

Workout over and time for post-workout shake/creatine.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Im loving training at the moment, feeling stronger, larger (already) is helping increase my confidence. Also all the extra food is pretty cool too :)

take it easy :cool:
B-R

Beast
08-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Great job on the overhead presses, man. Your squats are looking good, too. How far do you go down on them?

Tank23
08-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Dude squats are looking great!

I prefer DB rows over BB rows, I found that I couldn't focus on contracting the upper/mid back because all my attention was on the lower back, just trying to remain in that bent over position. I wish I could do them right though, coz they're one of the hardcore type movements, they belong with the squats, deads, bench, militaries. :)

WillKuenzel
08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Great job on the squats! I would probably sub the bentover rows for t-bar rows or chest supported rows if you have either of those. If not, then db rows are great.

Silverback
08-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Arnold jr: Thanks :) On the sqauts, im in the rack going just past paralell (pins are set there) I don't usually touch them but just brush them. Any lower and i worry about my knees.

Jovan: amen on that one, BB rows are a superb builder, no doubt. But in the interests of maintaining training longivity i think the DB's are the choice. Squats are okay, looking to get back over 300lbs as soon as possible.

Homey: Thanks man, was the diet alright for you? :) I'd love to include t-bar rows, but im training in my home gym (power rack etc...) so unless i spend some cash and buy one i reckon i'll stick with the DB's.

Silverback
08-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Just a quick update, i got my body fat % measured today (Skin Fold Callipers)

I came out with: 10% I was pretty pleased, its just a matter of keeping it tight.

Im going to get tested once a month to check my progress, hopefully i'll keep the fat gains low, whilst adding as much muscle as possible.

After todays visit to the physio, i have found out that i have mild Bursitis in my right shoulder, its not much of a problem. I have a program for strengthening the rotator cuff and stabilising the scapula, this in turn should bullet-proof the joint.

thats all for now folks :)

Coke
08-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Although the bursitis news is not so great, it is good to hear about the bodyfat levels, increased confidence, etc...Real nice to know you are finding your groove.

Silverback
08-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Cocoa: Cheers mate, the shoulder is a little tight/sore, but its manageable. Yeah im finding a good groove, i think my no limits attitude is helping this a great deal. I know i'll never make the Olympia, but i can go as high as my body will let me :)

Workout A: 5/8/04

Deadlift: 157.5kg (346.5lbs) x 5 (x2)

In terms of weight it was a PR, but i didnt make my 6 reps. The main reason was that the bar was scraping my quads on the concentric phase, it threw my momentum off at a tangent. Next workout i will wear some track pants to try and combat it (any other ideas?)

BB Bench Press: 71kg (156lbs) x 6 (x2)

The first set was smooth as silk, but the second set was tough, real tough. Form was good, but not in the normal 3/3 cadence. Not too far off my 80kg x 6 previous PR, looking forward to smashing threw it in the coming weeks :)

Chins: Bodyweight +1.25kg (2.75lbs) x 5 (x3)

Finally decided to add weight to the exercise, i decided to add just a small amount so that i can accumulate weight over the weeks and get some momentum.

DB Overhead Press: 24kg (53lbs) x 7 (moderate)

Didn't improve on last week, but the bench press PR took some sting out of my delt power.

DB Shrugs: 32kg (70lbs per hand) x 10 x 8

Nice couple of shrug sets, i know deads are the daddy for the traps, but im using it as an assistance to my lockouts in the deadlift.

DB Curl: 16kg (35lbs) x 8

Nice improvement on the curls, first few reps were cake, but the intensity really heated up after this.

Workout was quite satisfying, shame about no PR on the deads, but next time it will be mine. The last few days have been ones of reflection and optimism. In the past the main problem ive had with gaining, is that ive been too caught up with proportion, well now im saying screw proportion i wanna be a monster! The more i read about how we work, the more i realise genetics role in bodybuilding. Basically im going to get as big/strong as possible then when im actually BIG i'll start working on the intricate details.

soz if that went on a little long :)

thats all folks!!!! looking forward to tommorows squats :)

Silverback
08-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Hey guys lagged with a few workouts being posted so i'll hit them up now:

Workout B Saturday: 7/8/04

BB Overhead Press:58.5kg (129lbs) x 8 (x2)

PR on the press!! Im surprised at how close ive been able to keep my press to my bench, but in reality im happy with the progress on each. My shoulder is feeling fine and i know there's a long way to go, but im getting closer day-by day :)

Squats (to Paralell): 95kg (209lbs) x 10 (x3)

Sweet sets of squatting, im planning to add 10lbs a workout until i hit 300lbs, im sure i can do it. I may have to drop down to 8's but thats cool with me.

DB Rows: 24kg (53lbs) x 10 (x2)

Added these back in the routine, my lower back was horrible after the squats, there was so much blood back there that i felt i was going to faint!!! Incidently ive bitten the bullet and ordered a t-bar rower for my home gym :)

Incline DB Press: 30kg (66lbs) x 6

Moderate set, nice to finally get back on board the 30's

Single leg calf raise: 15kg (35lbs) x 10 (x2)

Nice sets, ive got a new calve block, which allows for a larger range of motion. Felt much better too :)
J'ai fini

Silverback
08-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Workout A: Tuesday 10th/ 8/04

Deadlift: 157.5kg (346.5lbs) x 6 (x2)

Boom! PR in the house. Altered my form a little, i.e. pushed out chest a little more and the weight almost felt easy. I think at the end of this training cycle im going to be so close to 400 for 6 :)

Flat BB Press: 72.5kg (160lbs) x 6 (X2)

Another PR, last rep again was tough. But im pleased at the progress, im moving closer to my 200lbs goal, then when i hit that, the only way is up baby.

Chins: Bodyweight (211lbs) + (5.5lbs) x 5 (x3)

Nice set of chins, explosive on the concentric and precise on the eccentric. Dante reccomended doing them in this cadence and im liking it alot.

DB Press: 24kg x 7 (moderate)

Damn, stuck on this weight for 2 weeks now. Im thinking the bb presses are taking my pressing strength away from me, but im gonna bust a gut to progress next week.

Shrugs: 32kg (70lbs) x 10 (x2)

Nice sets of shrugs, ears to the shoulders. Nice smooth motion :)

Db Curl: 16kg (35lbs) x 8

Much smoother than last week will move to the 18kg(40lbs) next session.

Thats all folks :clown:

Coke
08-11-2004, 05:39 AM
Love to see the red, congrats on the pr's man.

Silverback
08-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Love to see the red, congrats on the pr's man.

Dont we all!!! :) thanks for the support bro, means alot.

Wednesday 11th august 04'

Diet:
Meal 1: BBQ Chicken
Oatmeal
Muller Vitality
Fish Oil

Meal 2: Turkey/egg Salad
Designer Whey Protein bar

Meal 3: Mac n Cheese
1 x Whey

Meal 4: BBQ Chicken
Jacket Potato
Fish Oil

Meal 5: 2 x Whey
natty PB
4 x Rice Cakes

Meal 6: BBQ Chicken
Oatmeal

Diet not brilliant today, spent alot of time on the road inc an airport visit! In saying that still got in some good cals for the rest day. Mac n cheese was a bit of a treat, tastes so damn good. Thank the lord for bulking :)

Training: Rest Day

MISC:
Sleep: 7.5hrs
Soreness: Chest and lats have been a little tender today, i think ive got my diet and stretching routine down tight. So recovery is pretty much optimal.

Comments:
Really glad to hit those PRs yesterday, the deadlift had me on a high all day :) Starting to fill out a little, face is losing its chissled look lol!!! adopting a deca bloat :cool: Im excited about what i can acheive over the coming months. If i can be pulling a 400 in the dead for the new year, then that will give me a solid platform to work off. The journey to hugeness begins here :)

Beast
08-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Your DLs are definitely your strongest point! Congrats, man. Increase that weight on the DB presses no matter what. You'll be fine.

Oh, and can you spare some HGH? :D

rookiebldr
08-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Deca bloat. <evilgrin>

Tank23
08-12-2004, 07:40 AM
lol@rooks

Dude your workouts this week are looking fantastic! I envy your squats and deads mate.

Ten % bf is great too dude....you must be looking awesome huh.

[english accent]Jolly good work, chap. Carry on. [/english accent] :D

Silverback
08-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Arnie: Thanks mate, appreciated. Deadlifts have always been a fave of mine, probably because my lower back and glutes could move a freight train!!! Your right those damn presses need to increase no matter what, getting them in position is probably the hardest part. Spare GH? have you seen how much the stuff costs?!?! im gonna have to take out a mortgage for the stuff :)

rook: hehe, it cant be helped. When im eating every 2 hours, bloat is bound to be expected, shame it seems to go straight to my face, my abs are clear as day as usual. oh well its genetics i suppose. :burger:

Jovan: hey man, thanks for dropping by. I seem to have a natural strength in the squat/dead. I wish it were the case for my pressing strength. Im looking pretty lean i suppose, but i need so much more size, i have good width. But thickness needs to be achieved, which is kinda tough being 6'2. I mean even big Gunter doesnt look that thick in comparision with the smaller dudes and he's a big guy!!!

Workout B (12/8/04)

BB Overhead Press: 60kg (132lbs) x 8, 7

Moved up in weight again, felt awsome to hit the 8 reps on the first set, second set was tough after the 4th rep and i knew that 8 reps would be pushing it. next session it will be mine, no doubt.

DB Row: 26kg (57lbs) X 10/10 (X3)

Nice lats contractions, taking it easy moving the weights up, no point hitting a brick wall too ealry, thus add a little each week and get that gaining momentum.

Squats: 100kg (220lbs) x 10 (x3)

Loved every rep of these!!! It felt so light it was almost a joke. I even paused a couple of times on the last set to intensify the stress on my quads.
(Followed with 'breathing' db (45lbs) pullover x 20reps)

Incline DB Bench: 30kg (66lbs) x 3

Damn, getting these into position was a nightmare, im going to drop the weight next week and make sure i own the 28's (10-12reps?) that step up seems to hit my ability to get them in position. Ive made good progress on them, so a few weeks of ground work will be cool in the bigger picture.

Single legged calf-raise: 20kg (45lbs) x 10/10

Nice sets worked through a few warm-ups before hammering them with the 20's. Calves are starting to grow already, they're only measuring 16.5" but that will change with the squatting and calf work combined.

Misc:

Sleep: 8 hours

Soreness: Ouch, my neck and shoulder have both been caning today, the work with the physio is helping, but i feel that the gh and/or a cortisone shot would make things a million times better. The fact that im improving the weights nearly every workout tells me that im not that that bad.

Comments: Got some grits shipped over from the US!!! looking forward to trying them, after seeing Ronnie using them quite a bit in his DVD, lol how sad is that! Took the day off work to get some things done that needed doing, working full-time after being at uni sucks so much. Its such a shock to the system, i feel like my life has become 'work and training' which is not such a bad thing as im not drinking at the moment.

Will post my diet in a bit, need to go feed the machine :)

Silverback
08-17-2004, 05:40 AM
Quick Update:

Workout (15/8/04)

Deadlifts: 160kg (352lbs) x 6 (x2)

Another PR on the deads, lightweight :) The first set was so smooth, the second set had a few rough moments, but i came out on top, yeah!!!

Flat BB Bench: 73.5kg (162lbs) x 6 x 4

First set was superb, another PR very happy. Second set was tough, real tough. Got the 4th in great form, but the 5th rep was not happening. Should get it next session.

Chins: 3.5kg (7.2lbs) x 5 (x3)

Ive never had a close relationship with chins, due to my big ass legs. But im starting to make progress and my whole damn back was crippled after these sets.

Finally got that 8th rep, getting them into position was a nightmare as per usual. I think i need more forearm/bicep stability to help me ease them into position, if it wasn't for this reason id hit 12 reps no worries.

DB Shrugs: 34kg (75lbs) x 10 (x2)

Not much to say, im thinking of dropping shrugs, dont really get much benefit from them and deadlifts seem to cover my traps pretty well i think.

DB Curls: 18kg (40lbs) x 6

Most weight ive ever DB curled ever!!! The reps were really cool too, didnt get the 8 but its on its way, i can assure you guys :)

That was the session done, finished off with some db lunges with a couple of ez grip 45 plates and i went for PWO. Pretty satisfied, looking forward to chasing my 12 week goals, so far on week 4 :)

laterz B_R

Tank23
08-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Damn nice session there brudda!

Coke
08-17-2004, 08:01 AM
You ought to be well pleased with setting so many records - :thumbup: ...keep up the great work.

Silverback
08-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Jovan: Thanks for the support bro, much appreciated. Session was pretty good eh.

Cocoa: Hey, good to see you dropping by regularly, its cool to get someone who has already got solid development all-round, to cast their eye over my training :)

Workout B (17/8/04)

Seated Overhead Press: 60kg (132lbs) x 8 x 6

Tough couple of sets, didnt get a new PR, but delts got a real workout. May drop to 6 reps and work on progressing with that for the rest of this cycle. Then bump up the reps at that point.

DB Row: 28kg (62lbs) x 8/8 (x2)

Added another 5lbs and was a long way from failure, which was pretty satisfying :)

Squat: 105kg (230lbs) x 10 (x2)

Nice sets of squats, lower back was pumped beyond belief!! quads and glutes were hit hard also.

DB Bench (incline): 28kg (62lbs) x 8

Nice set, drop the weight from the last workout. Aiming to move to the 10-12 rep range then progress. Especially with the DB's, those things are harder to manouvre at higher weights.

Single Legged Calve Raise: 15kg (32lbs) x 10/10
20kg (45lbs) x 10/10

Still easing the calves into training, nice contractions, i think it will be time to increase the weight next session.

Soreness: Shoulder feels a little sore, definately getting stronger. But little niggles when stretching remain.

Comments: Im starting to deal with not gaining weight/reps every workout. The more i learn about the iron game the more i realise the importance of the long-term and consistent progressive poundages. I think that a 400lbs deadlift and 200lbs bench is extremely realistic by the years end, hopefully my current progress will reflect this. ill probably put some more pics up then too.

Cheers guys

:)

Beast
08-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Congrats on the rows, man. I'm sure you'll hit those numbers by the end of the year.

Coke
08-19-2004, 12:15 PM
...a little bit at a time is where its at - nice session.

Silverback
08-26-2004, 04:02 AM
Beast: I hope so too, ive definately got the desire to hit those numbers. The sooner i put up the bigger numbers the sooner i'll start looking like a freak :)

Cocoa: Thanks man, i totally know where your coming from. It takes time to build muscle and even longer to look massive. I was reading about Arnold's past and it took him 3-4 years to get to a decent level of size, so its understandable that it will take longer for me.

Sorry for the lack of updates, just caught up in blood tests/results and the usual work

Workout: 25/8/04 (A) :

Deadlift: 162.5kg (377.5lbs) x 6 (x2)

Last week this weight seemed like a bloody tonne, but today the reps were quality, smooth as silk ;)

Flat BB Bench: 73.5kg (162lbs) x 6 (x2)

Another new PR, im using a 2/3-4 cadence, so i could probably go heavier with looser form, but after all safety is a priority in this exercise, behind building huge slabs of muscle of course :D

Chins: Bodyweight + 6kg (13lbs) x 5 (x3)

Tough 2nd and 3rd set, nice to hit 3 PR's in a row :)

DB Shoulder Press: 24kg (53lbs) x 8

Damn, ive been stuck on this weight for 3 weeks now!!! just can't push out the extra rep or two, anyone got any suggestions other than try harder?!?

DB incline Shrugs: 26kg (57lbs) x 10 (x2)

Nice contractions in the mid back, doing its job :)

DB Curls: 18kg (40lbs) x 6

The sixth rep was torture, cant wait to get to the 20kg's. May hold off until i can get 8 on the 18kg's

Comments: My drive has never been stronger, im determined to get to 250lbs solid, it may take a few years but im prepared. I keep playing around with the idea of AS. But i feel too young and not enough foundation.

Ğragons
08-26-2004, 04:24 AM
v nice, nice work on the PR's

Coke
08-26-2004, 07:02 AM
More red is always good to see man, keep it up.

TheGimp
08-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Nice deadlifting :)

Tank23
08-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Great sessions dude, keep it up mate.

Silverback
08-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Workout (27/8/04) B:

BB overhead Press: 62.5kg (137.5) x 6 (x2)

I was ready for these sets, im determined to put some size on these shoulders. The sooner im pressing bodyweight for 6, then im pretty sure i'll have some shoulder size to match.

DB Row: 30kg(66lbs) x 8/8 32kg (70lbs) x 8/8

Nice sets on the db rows, i know i have a long way to go. My back is by far my worst bodypart. Its getting the connection between my mind and my back My arms seem to take alot of the work, this something i need to work on.

Squat: 110kg (242lbs) x 8 (x3)

Man, im really getting back into the squats, my lower back is starting to buck up and im no longer using a belt. Ive got a mad desire to get my legs and ass as big/freaky as possible. Just something about these bodyparts that scream freak and power :)

Incline DB Bench: 30kg (66lbs) x 6

Reps were real smooth, glad to finally push out some decent reps with this weight.

Calve Raises: 24kg(52lbs) x 10/10

Comments:

Nice to be hitting up some Pr's lately, ive been keeping my diet tight, pushing more cals and protein everyweek. My weight is upto 217lbs (from 211lbs) im feeling bigger, but avoiding temptation to take measurements until the end of this cycle.

Sorry if the journal aint too entertaining at the moment, but all i seem to be doing is eating, training, working and sleeping. Its a beautiful life!!!!!

Coke
08-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Great news about the weight gains - :thumbup: ...you seem so driven this time out.

rookiebldr
08-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Great work on the pr's and the weight gains. 217 is great!!! 217x6 on militaries will be awesome. It definitely sounds like a goal to go for. I think I'll go for it too now. Bodyweightx6 overhead presses for massive delts! Sounds like a plan.

Beast
08-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Wow, lotta red. I wish I were making those gains.

Silverback
08-30-2004, 03:58 AM
Cocoa: Driven is what i am, ive always wondered what held up my training. I mean my diet, nutrition and rest were all perfect, hell even my routines were good. But the one thing i lacked was a drive, not just any drive an obsessive one. But i keep this obsession in the gym, thats where it matters. The diet, rest etc.. is the easy part, but kicking your ass to make those little gains each week, is what really matters.

As i said in your journal cocoa, the likes of you have been behind that inspiration, ive also gotta give props to Mr jr Arnold and the Work of both Stuart McRobert and Dante (aka Doggcrapp). Ive still got along way to go, but now the difference is that i belive i can do it. Onwards and upwards and all that :)

Rook:
Thanks man, appreciated. Im glad you brought up the Overhead press. Because in my opinion it is so underated, back in the day of Reg Park, the press was imperative in a routine. The emergence of the bench press kind of gave the OHP the backseat.

But my opinion is that the press is the best shoulder builder by far, forget laterals. Press your bodyweight for 6+ reps and then complain about your medial/rear delts lagging.

Beast:
Lol, i wish i had your gains hehe. Youve already made those gains, arnie. Your in a different league now, i just hope i can promote myself to that league :)

Silverback
08-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Workout (30/8/04):

Deadlift: 165kg (363lbs) x 6 (x2)

Im finding my groove on the deads, i think that these steady increases are the way to go, for sure.

BB Bench: 75kg (165lbs) x 6 x 5

Got the PR on the first set, second set got the 5, but there's no way the 6th rep was happening.

Chins: Bodyweight (217lbs) + 7.5kg (16.5lbs) x 5 x 4 x 3

Damn, these were tough, my back was completely fried. To top things off i did my extreme stretche afterwards and my wrist strap was too tight on the bar, lost circulation in my hand!!! My thumb is still tingling 8 hours on :(

Reps were really smooth, will move to the 26's next workout.

Incline Shrugs: 26kg (58lbs) x 12

Not much too say, nice scapula retraction i suppose.

BB Curl: 35kg (77lbs) x 14RP

Switched on to the BB after stagnating on the DB, tried to sample a bit more of Doggcrapp also. Im desperate to get on the DC program, but Dante reckons that trainees, ought to have 3-5 years of solid straight set training under their belt.

My bi's felt good, but im having a hard time working out the intensity. I think it will take a little time to get used to Rest-Pause. If any DC trainee is reading this chip in with your thoughts :)

Have a good'one guys :thumbup:

Coke
08-31-2004, 08:35 AM
You are indeed in the groove dude! - nice workout effort.