PDA

View Full Version : "Pounding out aggression turns into obsession." - Battery. Another Bulk Journal.

Augury
07-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Welcome to my bulk journal. Its under construction right now if you happen to stumble across it before I shove it on my tagline. Next few pages will be templates for the main posts. After that ill babble a little bit about why im doing this, how and what my goals are and then ill be all set to bore you to tears with what to me is utterly facinating, groundbreaking etc...whilst you of course have seen it all before. How dull.

Augs, July 04.

Augury
07-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Week X, Day 1, Strength Workout - Upper Body

Workout

Military Press 4 x 3-5

Flat bench Press 4 x 3-5

Row machine 4 x 3-5

Incline Dumbell Press 2 x 3-5

Lat Pulldown 2 x 3-5

Lateral Raises 2 x 3-5

Abs 6 x 3-5

Workout Comments

BLAH

Cardio

BLAH

Nutrition/Rest

Meal 1
Meal 2
Meal 3
Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6

Comments

BLAH

Scott S
07-06-2004, 08:41 PM
What is this, like 3 journals now?

I'm still on my first. :D

Augury
07-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Week X, Day 2, Strength Workout - Lower Body

Workout

Hack Squats 4 x 3-5

Ham Curl machine 4 x 3-5

Calf Raise 4 x 3-5

Leg Extension machine 3 x 3-5

Leg Press 2 x 3-5

Weighted Lunges 2 x 3-5

Workout Comments

BLAH

Cardio

BLAH

Nutrition/Rest

Meal 1
Meal 2
Meal 3
Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6

Comments

BLAH

Augury
07-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Week X, Day 4, Growth Workout - Upper Body

Workout

Flat Bench Dumbell 3 x 7-9

Dumbell Shoulder Press 3 x 7-9

Lat Pulldown 3 x 7-9

Machine Row 2 x 7-9

Incline Barbell Press 2 x 7-9

Lateral Raise 2 x 7-9

Skullcrushers 2 x 7-9

Hammer Curls 2 x 7-9

Workout Comments

BLAH

Cardio

BLAH

Nutrition/Rest

Meal 1
Meal 2
Meal 3
Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6

Comments

BLAH

Augury
07-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Week X, Day 6, Growth Workout - Lower Body

Workout

Leg Press 3 x 7-9

Leg Curl 3 x 7-9

Leg Extension 3 x 7-9

Deal Lift 2 x 7-9

Calf Raise 4 x 7-9

Hack Squats 2 x 7-9

Abs 4 x 7-9

Workout Comments

BLAH

Cardio

BLAH

Nutrition/Rest

Meal 1
Meal 2
Meal 3
Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6

Comments

BLAH

Augury
07-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Week X, Day X, REST/CARDIO

Cardio

BLAH

Nutrition/Rest

Meal 1
Meal 2
Meal 3
Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6

Comments

BLAH

Augury
07-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Diet Template

WEEK 2 and on :

Need to up cals from 2600 to 2900. Also introducing carb cycling and halfing fat intake to see how i respond. Also making a concious effort to drink more water. Will be recording water intake. how anal am I?

Following principals of TwinPeaks cycling diet from Avant Labs. It is essentially a carb and calorie cycling diet. Fat and Prot stay fixed and carbs and cals cycle ending up with (hopefully) the correct weekly total.

Prot set at 1.1g/lb = 155g
Fat set at 18% cals (2900) = 60g

No Carb Day (NC):
0.4g/lb Carbs = 57g carbs, 155g Prot, 60g Fat = 1388 cal.

Low Carb Day (LC):
1g/lb Carbs = 140g Carbs, 155g Prot, 60g Fat = 1720 cal.

High Carb Day (HC):
5g/lb Carbs = 705g Carbs, 155g Prot, 60g Fat = 3980 cal

Mon: (LowC) + Rest
Tue: (HighC) + Upper Body Strength
Wed: (HighC) + Lower Body Strength
Thu: (Low C) + Rest
Frid: (HighC) + Upper Body Growth
Sat: (No C) + Rest
Sun: (HighC) + Lower Body Growth

1x(NC)+2x(LC)+4x(HC)
=1x(1388)+2x(1720)+4x(3980)
=1388+3440+15920
=20748
=2964 per day on average.

TRIAL WEEK + WEEK 1:
Starting at 2600 cals per day and monitor.
Macro Split:
Protein set at 1.2g/lb = 170g = 680 cal = 26%
Carbs set at 30% of total = 780 cal = 195g
Fat for ballast (min 0.45g/lb) = 44% = 1140 cal = 126g

Vido
07-06-2004, 11:29 PM
I'm still waiting to see the diet...that's where this battle is going to be won or lost.

Augury
07-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Well, here we are again. Journal 3. As Scott kindly pointed out :) So why am I on My third journal so soon? Well, i have some interesting things (from My point of view) to share and I also should really make an effort at pointing out what I use journals for.

Fisrt off...results. I started my UD2 fatloss diet at 13-14% bodyfat (i was measured at Uni by my physiology lecturer), 64kilos and basically not that fit cordiovasularly.

During the UD2 cycles (both fatloss and massgain(*cough*)) I had BF calipers but hadnt gotten around to using them. I also wasnt really weighing myself often at all (for fear of getting depressed).

Yesterday, for the beginning of this bulk journal I made the effort to do a 7 point BF% test (my training partner did it). Also weighed myself. Im now a rather unexpected 9.4% bodyfat and 63 kilos (139lbs). My weight got down as far as 62 kilos at some point i remeber but basically the results (both from mirror and figures) speak for themselves.

64 kilos @ 13.5% BF = 8.64 kg Fat and 55.36 kg LBM
to
63 kilos @ 9.4% BF = 5.92 kg Fat and 57.08 kg LBM.
This happened over 6 weeks.

So ive lost 2 lbs weight, lost 6lbs of fat and gained 4lbs muscle. I am actually really happy with that and the mirror 9and comments by some girls) coroborates the story. I have top two bits of a sixpack and look conciderably more "muscular" than i did. The irony of looking more muscular when you have net lost 2lbs is amusing...hence now you see why i think im "lean" enough and want to bulk up.

So Scott, thats why im on a new journal. I treat journals like "chapters" rhather than "lifes" and I change journal whenever i have a change of direction. "but werent you bulking on UD2:massgain" i hear you ask. yes, i was. but the diet was very complex, ive done it for 6 weeks and im fed up of the cycling. i am also fed up of fullbody workouts and the challenge it brings to recovery. This bulking diet is different enough in both diet and training to warrant a "clean slate". Besides, phsychologically i like clean slates. Maybee this one will end up at 127 pages like aka's. Though knowing me it will get to about 10 before I find some other method. i love green grass.

Vido: you are correct of course. If ive learned anything its that diet is 80% of your training. I certainly have learned the discipline of a clean diet and even though im now at the end of a "maintenance" week...ive eaten really well and not gained or lost weight and have found my eating habbits from UD2 are ingrained. Think "clean" eating. Even with my girlfriend teasing me mercilessly with pizza I didnt succumb. Well, I did. Im just lying to impress ya.

i spent a few hours setting up the templates for posting progress with last night. i think a few hours now will save many in the future. all thats left is to fill out a diet guide template for myself which i left room for. truth be told, the diet im using for this bulk is pretty simple and not supposed to be flash or create a wide range of effects hormonally or whatever. its main goal is to put me into a hypercaloric state and keep fat at sensible levels. i will do a little cycling though...ill "focus" carbs during the day around the workouts making sure i get plenty before and after. protein will be reduced from UD2 levels of 1.5gxbodyweight to 1gxbodyweight. fat will cycle in opposition to carbs. Also on my rest days ill eat a little more fat and a little less carbs in order to stay a little leaner than just letting it all hang out. The main priority is getting clean calories in my mouth so I have enough to put on weight. I seem to resist weight gain in favour of body recomposition which is a bit annoying when you are trying to bulk.

Anyhow....thanks for dropping by whoever has. Feel free to comment and take the piss. Thats what the journal is for. I used "technicolour" for the actuall training parts so those not interested in my inanne verbal diahoreah can just scross through and look for purple. How thoughtful am I?

Ill post what my diet is supposed to look like a little later tonight.

Augs

Maki Riddington
07-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Your routine looks almost like mine.

Augury
07-08-2004, 03:38 AM
Maki:

Well, Ill take that as a compliment :) A strange thing happened yesterday. I had posted up the routine I was going to bulk on over at the main training forums about 4 or 5 days ago for comments/critique. Oddly, noone posted against it, so either im hated (wonderful news) or it was okish and noone had much to add/subtract or everyone was just plain bored and apathetic as there has been a spate of "critique my routine" posts recently. So armed with no comments I forged ahead and started making the templates you probably skimmed past here.

Then I went (out of sheer boredom) to bodyrecomposition.com just to see if there was anything useful there that Lyle had to say. There was a link to a periodization training routine that he has written for avant labs. After reading it i was a little surprised to find out how many similarities there were in my routine and the way he suggested working. Mine if FAR more simplified that his and his is typically "Lyle" which means you need a phd to actually know what sets/weights/reps/timings you are supposed to be doing on any given day. Still the principal was there...different repranges throughout the week to stimulate the differeing growths.

As can be seen from my routine, I am not really shooting for any sarcoplasmic growth. Im doing mainly strength and myofibril growth training. After probably about 8 weeks of this im going to change things up for maybee 4 weeks and go to a myofibril/sarcoplasmic routine and then drop back to this one. Simply to alleviate boredom and also to create a different training feel for my body to adapt to. I dont know if it will work. I dont know if i will even do it. It totally depends upon the results i get from using this bulk as it is.

Augs

Scott S
07-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Looking over your routine again, if you still have trouble gaining weight, you may want to cut out some of the isolation exercises and see if that helps. I really like Chad Waterbury's thinking with this routine: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=244anti2

EDIT: By that I mean, why do leg extensions and leg presses if you're already squatting and deadlifting in that workout (which may itself not be smart? :D)

Maki Riddington
07-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Chad's approach works great.

Augury
07-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Scott, Maki:

With you on the though process there Scott. Thanks for the link. Ill certainly do some reading. Right now Im just eating at maintenance (after coming of UD2) and just doing maintenance workouts at the gym until I have the diet nailed.

I am wary of overtraining. but compared to the volume i was doing on ud2 massgain this is about half. I also get far more rest per muscle group for recovery/growth. Still, as you say, if im eating the calories i need to be and not gaining then ill cut back on the isolations as you say. Makes perfect sense.

Im going to be drawing heavily from John Berardi for the bulking diet. I like how the guy thinks and I enjoy his site. Gona go read your link now.
The deads are more of an "afterthought" exercise. i wont be going overly heavy on them until i know my lower back can handle the loading. I had trouble there before in the past that took me out of play for 3 weeks.

Im intending to eat like a horse once i know what (and when) im going to be eating. Im currently interested in how Berardi thinks regarding reasons for eating carbs+protien in the mornings...focusing carbs arounf the workout (including post work out nutrition science) and then cutting back on carbs and having protein and fat in the evenings for anabolism during the night. If you havent read his articles, I really think its worth a look.

John Berardi - Nutrition articles (http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition)

Cheers Augs

Augury
07-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Scott:

just read the chad waterbury article. i didnt realise until a few paragraphs in that i had actually read that before. I think probably about 3-4 months ago. I will have another read of it tomorrow when im less tired, see if there is anything i want to steal/modify.

Right now Im just going for simple. i want to bulk and work hard and eat hard. I will see how things go and get advice if things dont pan out for me. Ive spent a lot of time reading and understanding the physiology of fatloss/dieting etc under UD2. Now im turing my attentions to the concepts of bulking and how it works at a physiological level. I know that probably sounds silly and you are thinking "just train and eat goddamnit!" and you are right. But im one of natures curious people and i like to know whats going on. Always have. To me its fun to understand the chemistry/physiology/mechanics and to actually know why things happen when they do. It just adds another dimension to the training and one that keeps my interest high.

Augs

Vido
07-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Im intending to eat like a horse once i know what (and when) im going to be eating. Im currently interested in how Berardi thinks regarding reasons for eating carbs+protien in the mornings...focusing carbs arounf the workout (including post work out nutrition science) and then cutting back on carbs and having protein and fat in the evenings for anabolism during the night. If you havent read his articles, I really think its worth a look.

Whenever I think of Berardi I think of eating MASSIVE quantities of food, which for someone without pure ectomorphic tendencies I can't see being the best approach for. Apparently, there's more to it than just eating a ton of food though. Everything you mentioned in the above quote has been the way I've structured my diet for quite some time now. I guess I just forgot where I got the ideas from in the first place.

Augury
07-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Well, yeah. He does suggest eating quite a lot. however the way its eaten makes sense (either fat + prot OR carbs + prot). All the insulin stuff makes sense to me. All i need to do is figure out if im glucose sensitive or not. Even after UD2 im honestly not quite sure. I think ill do a blood glucose test tomorrow.

Still reading/deciding/planning exactly how the diet is. I have till sunday night to get this sorted.

Augs

Vido
07-09-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm at work and for some reason it won't let me see URL addresses so I can't give you the link to the thread...it's not too far from the top of the diet and nutrition forum though. In the meantime:

By the way, if you want some studies or links on the subject, here are some non-scientific ones (i.e. anecdotal evidence):

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C607965.html (extract: "The glycemic index of a given food depends on a number of factors. In general, fiber, fat and protein slow down the absorption of carbohydrates in foods.")

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/mike13.htm (extract: "Eating fat, fiber or even protein - especially caseinate - along with carbohydrates lowers the rate at which they enter the bloodstream. This tactic reduces insulin levels and may halt fat storage that can result from eating the carbohydrate by itself.")

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...bohydrates.html (extract: "The more fat or acid a food contains, the slower its carbohydrates are converted to sugar and absorbed into the bloodstream.")

http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Carbohydrates.html (extract: "Soluble fiber, fat, acidic foods, and protein (particularly meat) significantly blunts insulin spike")

And some medical ones relating to diabetes and hypo management:

Hepburn DA. Symptoms of hypoglycaemia. In: Frier BM, Fisher BM, eds. Hypoglycaemia and Diabetes: Clinical and Physiological Aspects. London, UK: Edward Arnold; 1993:93-103.

The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group. Effects of intensive diabetes therapy on neuropsychological function in adults in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial. Ann Intern Med. 1996;124:379-388.

Reichard P, Pihl M. Mortality and treatment side-effects during long-term intensified conventional insulin treatment in the Stockholm Diabetes Intervention Study. Diabetes. 1994;43:313-317.

American Diabetes Association: Nutrition recommendations and principles for individuals with diabetes mellitus: 1986. Diabetes Care 10:126132, 1987

American Diabetes Association: Nutrition recommendations and principles for people with diabetes mellitus (Position Statement). Diabetes Care 17:519522, 1994

Slama G, Traynard P-Y, Desplanque N, et al. The search for an optimized treatment of hypoglycemia. Carbohydrates in tablets, solution, or gel for the correction of insulin reactions. Arch Intern Med. 1990;150:589-593.

Wiethop BV, Cryer PE. Alanine and terbutaline in treatment of hypoglycemia in IDDM. Diabetes Care. 1993;16:1131-1136.

U.K. Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group: Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). Lancet 352:837853, 1998

Brodows RG, Williams C, Amatruda JM. Treatment of insulin reactions in diabetics. JAMA. 1984;252:3378-3381.

Special problems. In: Skyler JS, ed. Medical Management of Type 1 Diabetes. 3rd ed. Alexandria, VA: American Diabetes Association; 1998:134-143.

Canadian Diabetes Association. The role of dietary sugars in diabetes mellitus. Beta Release. 1991;15:117-123.

Monoject insulin reaction gel [product monograph]. Montreal, QC: Schering Canada Inc.; 1999.

Gunning RR, Garber AJ. Bioactivity of instant glucose. Failure of absorption through oral mucosa. JAMA. 1978;240:1611-1612.

Cryer PE, Fisher JN, Shamoon H. Hypoglycemia. Diabetes Care. 1994;17:734-755.

Augury
07-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all those links Vido...Ive read about half of them and still trying to find the time to do the rest.

Ive now finished my bulking diet if anyone wants to go have a look at the diet secion above. Im interested to see if anyone thinks im being a foo.

I HAVE to point out that i think im not good at handling lots of carbs. I did a weeks trial just to see. Its horrible for me. So diet reflects this.

Augs

Vido
07-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Personally, I think you should have 2 different diets...one for workout days and one for off days. You could get even more complex than that, but that's as simple as I'd recommend. What do you need carbs for on an off day? May as well just eat extra protein and fat...macronutrients that actually serve some sort of purpose (this is my belief anyway). I know you probably don't want to go no carbs on off days, but why don't you just split it up so you're having 300g carbs on training days and 100g on off days? This averages basically what you're doing now, but the carbs will be used more efficiently.

If you really think your insulin sensitivity is low, my true recommendation is to go no carbs on off days and 400g on training days. Just because you're off UD2 doesn't mean you can't employ the principles (nutrient partitioning).

Augury
07-12-2004, 05:36 AM
ok Vido, thanks for the response, my curious mind is rolling tho...a few questions for you then:

dont carbs help with recovery? i seem to recall a lot of people on UD2 complaining that after a few weeks joints were getting sorer and sorer becasue the low carb days allowed for no real recovery. surely i need carbs on recovery days?

next is a hormonal question. the carb cycling on the UD2 diet was over periods of days. i was under the impression that it took 3-4 days for all the hormonal responses of low carbs and depletion workouts to kick in. Only then was a carbload of use and even the UD2 carbload of 30 hours was a bit rushed by his own admission. will cycling on and off carbs on virtually alternate days honestly have the correct partitioning effect?

i do understand where you are coming from...with your suggestions, but i do need the nigly questions answered before i commit to more complexity. also, if im on 100g or even no carbs on the off days.....getting 2600 cals from prot and fat is going to be (for me) virtually impossible. protein is really expensive (meat or powder) and i dont want to be eating 250g a day of fat.....thats just scary. what do you do on these days?

Augs

TheGimp
07-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Another day, another journal. lol, j/k ;)

Things are looking good - I do like the way you base your decisions on actual science :D When are you set to start?

Augury
07-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Im starting today. Ive actually done a weeks trial already prior to this without reporting anything or any of the training sessions.

I ate at maintenance through the first half of the week and then started eating a la Berardi through the second half of the week up till yesterday just to see how i felt and what my energy levels would be like.

Interestingly, since coming off the UD2 partitioning ive gained weight quite fast.

29/06 - 137
30/06 - 138
06/07 - 139
06/07 - 138
09/07 - 139.5
11/07 - 141

4 lbs in 2 weeks is a little too fast for my liking tho. Its prolly fat. i dont know. Im pretty dispondant right now about diets. Everyone seems to be giving conflicting advice and literally what one expert says another refutes and says the opposite.

My weights are going up and rising fast which is nice. Interesting. My strength shoots up when i overfeed and i suppose along with strength must eventually come growth. I wont be happy, however, until i have some answers about the carbs+fat+insulin responses. Ive posted the questions over at bodyrecomposition to see what folks have to say.

Anyhow....i start "officially" today (which is a rest day) and so ill be posting up stats now as I go. Today is my BF% testing day too.

Augs

TheGimp
07-12-2004, 08:56 AM
So are we still going to have a clash of the titans competition when I start HST on Wednesday? :D

I think if food combining was that worthwhile/worked then it would have more of a following. The way fat blunts the insulin spike seems to completely nullify the point of avoiding fat+carbs at the same time.

Vido
07-12-2004, 10:27 AM
ok Vido, thanks for the response, my curious mind is rolling tho...a few questions for you then:

dont carbs help with recovery? i seem to recall a lot of people on UD2 complaining that after a few weeks joints were getting sorer and sorer becasue the low carb days allowed for no real recovery. surely i need carbs on recovery days?

***I don't have a definite answer to this, but you tell me, by what mechanism are carbs going to aid in recovery? Personally, I don't see how they could. Sore joints on UD2 cannot be attributed to lack of carbs. Combine high rep exercises with an OVERALL large caloric deficit (not just from carbs) and I can see where joint pain might become an issue. I never experienced any, but I take Glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM daily, so that might have helped.

The only reason you'd "need" carbs on recovery days is for sanity purposes. To me, it depends how many off days you have in a row. If I've just eaten a bunch of carbs yesterday, and I know I'm going to get to eat a bunch more the following day, I can quite easily manage to go no carbs for a single day. The longer that period without carbs becomes the more mentally taxing it becomes.***

next is a hormonal question. the carb cycling on the UD2 diet was over periods of days. i was under the impression that it took 3-4 days for all the hormonal responses of low carbs and depletion workouts to kick in. Only then was a carbload of use and even the UD2 carbload of 30 hours was a bit rushed by his own admission. will cycling on and off carbs on virtually alternate days honestly have the correct partitioning effect?

***Will it have the "correct" partitioning effect? Yes, as far as I know you're either partitioning or you're not. There aren't right or wrong effects. Will it have the "same" partitioning effect as on UD2? Well, of course not. But on UD2 your goal is to be able to achieve a supercompensation effect, while on a normal diet your goal is just to make the best use of the carbs you're taking.***

i do understand where you are coming from...with your suggestions, but i do need the nigly questions answered before i commit to more complexity. also, if im on 100g or even no carbs on the off days.....getting 2600 cals from prot and fat is going to be (for me) virtually impossible. protein is really expensive (meat or powder) and i dont want to be eating 250g a day of fat.....thats just scary. what do you do on these days?

***Well, I happen to be eating 4000 calories of purely protein and fat today, so here she goes:

9am: 9 whole eggs + 1 tbsp flax oil + 5 fish oil caps
11am: 2 scoops of whey + 1 tbsp flax oil
1pm: 210g pork tenderloin + 1/4 cup walnuts
3:45pm: 210g pork tenderloin + 1/4 cup almonds + 5 fish oil
6pm: 300g dry cottage cheese + 1/4 cup walnuts
Cardio
9:30pm: 2 scoops whey + 1 tbsp flax oil
11pm: 300g dry cottage cheese + 1tbsp flax oil + 5 fish oil

Maybe I'll throw some fibrous veggies in with the meals where I'm eating pork, but aside from that there you go. 4000 cals, no carbs. Not exactly mouth-watering cuisine, but whatever.***

Augs

Augury
07-12-2004, 11:42 AM
in your example of a no carbs day just there....what was the split of protein to fat? is it 50/50? or boased towards one or the other. couldnt quite tell.

the more i read, the more i KNOW i need to go buy a tub of whey and stop waiting for my mate to actually get me some. im suffering without it. its just getting too hard to eat enough whole protein without eating a ton of very expensive meat. im sick of the sight of tuna.

so Vido?...how is your diet actually going? I dont think ive ever asked you how big/heavy etc you are and where ytou started on your current bulk and what progress you have made. how does this bulk compare to your last bulk? have you always partitioned? is this your first partitioning bulk?

Gimpy: welcome back from holiday. hope it was fun! Yeah dude. Im up for a clash of the mini-Titans (TM). Ill post up my starting stats later today for ya when it gets towards the evening. i need my mate to measure my BF.

so what are the rules and goals? first to gain 10lbs LBM? 15? 20?
measure up some strength execises? (you are ahead here and also im still waiting for some more weights at my gym - they should be here any day now). Are we going to measure BF too?

Could be first to gain 15lbs LBM with only 5lbs fat? if you gain 6 then that is knocked off your LBM total for being a fatty lard ass lol.

I do better when i have a competition feel. perhaps we could just state our personal goals and then just race each other to hitting them.

Augs

TheGimp
07-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Oh boy what have I gotten myself into ;)

No, seriously, I haven't given it much thought but I'm sure a friendly competitive spirit will be good for the old motivation. I'm not really a numbers man, perhaps simply before and after pics and let the unwashed masses decide the winner? :D

Augury
07-12-2004, 03:07 PM
oh god! pics. now thats serious and scary. *sob*. I cant manipulate pics to seem better. im good at numbers lol.

still..pics are fun. can do that. i still think it would be worth doing some other things too. how bout this:

Pictures, before and after (i dont know the length of your bulk. mine is going to be about 12-15 weeks depending).

Most improved lift: %increase on say bench and squat? so its relative to yourself.

sound ok?

Augury
07-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Week 0, Day 7, REST/CARDIO

Weight: 141 lbs
BF: 9.6%

Cardio

None whatsoever. How lazy am I? Oh hang on....I think i walked to the bathroom a few times. yes. Cardio was 0.5 minutes of moderate walking.

Nutrition/Rest

Goals: Cal: 2600, Fat: 110g, Carb: 200g, Prot: 208g
Achieved: Cal: 2580, Fat: 118, Carb: 260, Prot: 110

Meal 1 - Scrambled egg (2 eggs) and Oats with honey and milk
Meal 2 - Cheese on toast (granary bread) with a bowl of red kidney beans with melted cheese on them and a desert spoon of olive oil
Meal 3 - Slop (my crazy vegtable blend) with 4 desert spoons olive oil and a slaice of granary bread
Meal 4 - Lump of breaded cod with sod all else but a bit of vinegar
Meal 5 - 2 riveta with sesamie seeds, peanut butter and ham slices
Meal 6 - N/A

Comments

Day one went pretty well. Im OUT of whey powder still and im living in a house where meat seems to be sparse on the gorund. if i buy it it gets eaten really fast and i end up with no meat two days later. erm...this is goig to make sense to noone. Basically, i hit my cals. My protein was fine for a week up till today so im not worried in the slightest. Will sort out meat in the morning and go buy some whey too.

Vido
07-12-2004, 07:47 PM
in your example of a no carbs day just there....what was the split of protein to fat? is it 50/50? or boased towards one or the other. couldnt quite tell.

***60/40 pro/fat or thereabouts...that could change on any given day...I'm not concerned with ratios in the least.***

the more i read, the more i KNOW i need to go buy a tub of whey and stop waiting for my mate to actually get me some. im suffering without it. its just getting too hard to eat enough whole protein without eating a ton of very expensive meat. im sick of the sight of tuna.

***Judging by the fact that you fell almost 100g short of your goal for the day, I'd say you're right :D. I think eating "massive" quantities of protein must be something you just adapt to, because without paying any attention to my diet I'd be surprised if I didn't get at least 250g (from complete sources) on a "bad" day of dieting.***

so Vido?...how is your diet actually going? I dont think ive ever asked you how big/heavy etc you are and where ytou started on your current bulk and what progress you have made. how does this bulk compare to your last bulk? have you always partitioned? is this your first partitioning bulk?

***I weigh-in very infrequently...probably not the best approach, but I would rather see a 2-3lb jump on the scale than 0.08lb jump...just a mental thing I guess. I do try to do it at a similar time of day though and when in a "reasonably" carbed-up state. In any event, I'm 5'11 currently about 205lbs (estimated bf%12-14?), up around 6-8lbs after UD2 finished...probably at least half of which is water. I tend to "pussy out" on bulks, and not eat as much as I probably should for fear of fat gain. That's why this go around, I'm doing my best to berid of this fear and just pound down the food. For the past couple of weeks I've just been trying to get my metabolism humming so that I can handle all the food I'm going to be eating, which means to balance out the fact that I probably don't need 4000 cals/day right now I've been doing a fair amount of cardio. I figure in about another week my metabolism will be well-adjusted and I plan to embark on a cyclical diet...the basics I picked up from the forums at avantlabs.com. So, to be honest, I haven't been doing as much partitioning as I will be and it is far too early in this bulk to compare it to past bulks...however, if I do things according to plan, I should gain more muscle than usual, but may gain a little extra fat as well.

When you ask if I've always partitioned, I guess the answer would be no. On my first real bulk a few years ago I probably ate about 6000 cals/day of junk...so that probably doesn't count as partitioning :D. I think ever since I started bulking "clean" I've been partitioning, not based on any science at all. I've just always figured you don't need carbs if you're not doing anything, and you do if you are...the KISS principle at its finest.***

Augury
07-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Ok guys...

ive been doing my research for the last 5 hours and its been an interesting 5 hours I can tell you. Ive been trawling avant labs, bodyrecomposition and some buletin boards....and after an awful lot of reading i am seeing more and more info that is pointing to John Berardi not quite being so well regarded as I first assumed (silly me).

Holto also set me off on this crazy search by simply being brutally correct in his thinking on some posts on this forum. Seriously...read what he heas written. It makes total sense. in the end calorie is king as he says. When you are bulking you have a series of needs of varying importance. you need to live. that gets priority. so you need cals to live. then you need to buiold muscle. you tore them up and they need to adapt so they get priority next. after you have lived and built muscle ANYTHING you eat after/over and above that is going to go on as fat. where else is it going to go?

so the trick of a bulk as i see it is to eat what you need to live, what you need to build muscle and perhaps a tiny excess over that. if you are gaining a little fat then obviously you have fulfilled the more important needs already and muscle gain has already been maximised.

regarding Berardi's food combining information (not carbs+fat etc....) then i shall point people towards this link. This is Lyle being Lyle. He makes me laugh. i also trust the guy. He is frighteningly intelligent.

Voodoo Food Combining Bull**** (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=voodoo+nutrition+bull****&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=3BB377AD.603DE9BC%40onr.com&rnum=3)

Once you are done there but still not convinced, go to www.bodyrecomposition.com and then go to forums. then search simply on the name berardi and read the 7 or 8 threads it will bring up. Aside from making you laugh out loud at Lyles total lack of punch pulling and patience, you will find a wealth of info on how to bulk. You will also find pretty much everything berardi seems to stand for shot down in flames with scientific justification and the application of common sense.

Im done for the night. This will have an effect upon my diet but only in how i eat it (ie eat what i need and stop worrying about insulin spiking and whatever). My total cals are staying where they are till i know if im gaining weight too fast or not.

Augs

Vido
07-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Berardi's theory may or may not be true. I'm actually starting to lean towards the latter myself, although I don't plan on changing my diet any time soon. I've become accustomed to eating this way and I don't think it's hurting me any, so why bother.

That being said, Holto is full of $#%@. I just spent over half an hour trying to explain to him why his "all calories are equal theory" is complete and utter BS (take a look if you want on the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter thread in the diet section)...I only hope he gets it this time. In short, there is a lot more to it than calories in = calories out.

TheGimp
07-13-2004, 04:25 AM
oh god! pics. now thats serious and scary. *sob*. I cant manipulate pics to seem better. im good at numbers lol.

still..pics are fun. can do that. i still think it would be worth doing some other things too. how bout this:

Pictures, before and after (i dont know the length of your bulk. mine is going to be about 12-15 weeks depending).

Most improved lift: %increase on say bench and squat? so its relative to yourself.

sound ok?

Sounds good. Given the length of your bulk I'll aim to do at least 2x 6 week cycles of HST (or most likely I'll skip the 15 reps at the start of the 2nd cycle and make up for it with some strategic deconditioning in between). Lack of squat rack means it'll have to be hack squats for me.

Protein is overrated. I'm not saying you should be hitting that low a level on a regular basis but bear in mind the 1g/lb of bodyweight has been rounded up from 0.8g/lb which is 112.8g for you.

Bodyfat of 9.6%? Why were you cutting? :windup: :D

Augury
07-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Sounds good. Given the length of your bulk I'll aim to do at least 2x 6 week cycles of HST (or most likely I'll skip the 15 reps at the start of the 2nd cycle and make up for it with some strategic deconditioning in between). Lack of squat rack means it'll have to be hack squats for me.

Protein is overrated. I'm not saying you should be hitting that low a level on a regular basis but bear in mind the 1g/lb of bodyweight has been rounded up from 0.8g/lb which is 112.8g for you.

Bodyfat of 9.6%? Why were you cutting? :windup: :D

I dont have a squat rack either. I do hack squats too :)) So we are good there.

Regarding the protein comment. Whilst i dont think its overrated, i certainly am someone who thinks too much is pointless. 50% of all ingested protein turns to glucose...if you eat more than you need for body maintenance + muscle growth then you just convert the rest inefficiently to glucose. Protein is also effing expensive no matter how you say it. I agree with the 1-1.5g / lb thing...and i knew it was already rounded up fro 0.8
If you go look at the diet template at the beginning now, you will see since Lyle disproved everything Berardi said ive gone back to a bulking regimen that lyle suggests. no biggie really. just slightly reduced protein. more fat.

Oh I forgot to answer. I was 13.5% BF before UD2 and then over the 7 weeks i did UD2 BULK (oh the irony) I went down to 9.4% BF and gaind 4lbs muscle. Infact this was rather sucessfull

Augs

Spartan936
07-13-2004, 05:47 PM
I love it when I can learn from other peoples successes and failures! LOL. Nice journal Augs. Lost fat on a bulk? lol

Augury
07-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Week 1, Day 1, Strength Workout - Upper Body

Weight: 141 lbs (no change since last weigh in)

Summary:
29/06/04 - 137 lbs - 9.4% BF
06/07/04 - 139 lbs - 9.6% BF
13/07/04 - 141 lbs - 10.0% BF

Workout

All weights in KG. Includes bar where apllicable.

Military Dumbell Press 3 x 3-5
4x18 (+2kg, -1rep) - 4x18 (+2kg, -1rep) - 5x18(+2kg)
I hate shouders so I was really happy to see the weight go up from last wek here. I out them first so Im fresh and this has really helped get my strength up and past my 2 month plateau.
Flat bench Press 3 x 3-5
3x52.5 (+5kg, -2rep) - 4x52.5 (+5kg, -1rep) - 4x52.5 (+5kg, -1rep)
Really happy here. Strength on bench broke plateau 3 weeks ago and has continued to rise. Chest is growing with it. Wide grip work has helped. No shoulder pain. Pausing at the bottom of the rep is hard work, but worth it for the gains.
Row machine 3 x 3-5
3x50 (+5kg, -2rep) - 3x50 (+5kg, -2rep) - 3x50 (+5kg, -2rep)
This was bastard hard work and my form got a bit rough round the edges. Will try for 4 reps with better form next week.
3x22 (+2kg, -2rep) - 4x22 (+2kg, -1rep)
hard work. stabilizers had to work overtime as i got close to failing. didnt actually fail tho. Trying to avoid failure. Pleased as heck here.
Lat Pulldown 2 x 3-5
5x80 (+5kg) - 5x80 (+5kg)
My lats are just on a mission right now. They just seem to keep climbing in weight with no loss of reps. I couldnt be happier. The only let-down for Me is that I almost lose grip of the bar. Need to work on grip.
Lateral Raises 2 x 3-5
5x10 - 5x10
No improvements at all over last week. I tried the 12's, but i got shooting pains down My outer right forearm. i think I have possible nerve impoingement here as I also externally rotate at the end of the rom for some infraspinatus work. Will go more traditional next week till pain goes.
Abs 4 x 3-5
5x20 (+10kg) - 5x20 (+10kg)
Using a swiss ball a la macki technique. Using 2x10kg plates held to my chest. Im just treating my abs like any other muscle. They are sore as i speak. good deal.

Workout Comments

Really happy with this workout. Came out feeling swole and proud of myself. I really made a ****load of strength gains here and i honestly put it all down to overeating and focused determination in the gym. I aint big, and my weights are nothing to write home about at all but im still lifting more that some guys much much bigger than me in there now. Makes me laugh. Im in such a girly gym.

Cardio

Kidding right?

Nutrition/Rest

Meal 1 - Raw oats, peanut butter, semiskim and water.
Meal 2 - Slop with olive oil and a beaten egg with 2 slices of cheese on toast.
Meal 3 - Chicken with brown rice, slop and olive oil.
Meal 4 - Tin of tuna with raw chili and a bit of cheese
Meal 5 - N/a
Meal 6 - N/a

Comments

Really really happy with the workout and how i am feeling on the bulk so far. I know ive only reported for two days but i trialed it for a week and all my weights are up madly since last week in terms of strength. On a more cautionary note, looking at me weightgain it is too fast. I am gaining too much fat. Im going to see this week through and the probably adjust calories donwards by 200 cals to 2400 for next week. I dont want to become a fatass. I just want to gain enough fat to know ive gained max muscle and NO MORE. Will also kick off the cardio too. twice a week for now on rest days.

Augs

Vido
07-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Really really happy with the workout and how i am feeling on the bulk so far. I know ive only reported for two days but i trialed it for a week and all my weights are up madly since last week in terms of strength. On a more cautionary note, looking at me weightgain it is too fast. I am gaining too much fat. Im going to see this week through and the probably adjust calories donwards by 200 cals to 2400 for next week. I dont want to become a fatass. I just want to gain enough fat to know ive gained max muscle and NO MORE. Will also kick off the cardio too. twice a week for now on rest days.

The weight gain is probably water. Almost everybody gains a few lbs at the start of a bulk, no matter what diet they were coming off of. Don't drop your calories...I say this because I've had your exact thought pattern before...you MUST eat big to become big (and no, I don't mean a big, sloppy mess).

Maki Riddington
07-13-2004, 08:25 PM
Berardi is a smart guy no doubt, I just don't agree with all the points he makes with his "ultra" bulking style method he pushes. I also agree with the protein comment. I take in about 150 grams and at most, 200 on a crazy day.:)

Augury
07-14-2004, 03:39 AM
Vido, Maki, Spartan, Gimp and anyone else who has read this but not made any comments....thanks for the input. I appreciate the commets i get and the topics that come up here. Its all good. Im learning so much right now, so thankyou again.

Maki:
Ive seen your pics and you are pretty big. So, based on that alone and your comment of about 150g protein....you have a lot of calories to make up. Are you a high carb guy or a high fat guy or pretty equal when it comes to making up your calorific deficit to maintain or bulk on?

Vido
07-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Maki:
Ive seen your pics and you are pretty big. So, based on that alone and your comment of about 150g protein....you have a lot of calories to make up. Are you a high carb guy or a high fat guy or pretty equal when it comes to making up your calorific deficit to maintain or bulk on?

I think he's more of a "pathetic metabolism guy" :D. Last time I talked to Maki I think he was bulking on something like 2600 cals, even at his size.

Has that changed Maki?

Augury
07-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Week 1, Day 2, Strength Workout - Lower Body

Weight: 141lb (no change since last)

Workout

Hack Squats 4 x 3-5
5x52.5 - 5x52.5 - 5x52.5 - 5x52.5
I am really annoyed with my gym now. They have been promising me more plates for about the last 3 months. They told me they had paied for them and they would be arriving in 3 days. That was a week and a half ago. Until the weights arrive my hack squats are limited to this. Ive been here ages and SO want more weight to squat. All i can do is increase the sets :(
Ham Curl machine 4 x 3-5
3x55 (+5kg, -2rep) - 3x55 (+5kg, -2rep) - 3x55 (+5kg, -2rep) - 3x55 (+5kg, -2rep)
Raised the weights and could only sqeeze out 3's. I find heavy ham curls (seated) to be a particularly hard exercise. I just seem to go to jelly fast on them. Lighter weights i can go forever on. Odd.
Calf Raise 4 x 3-5
5x160 (+10kg) - 5x160 (+10kg) - 5x160 (+10kg) - 5x160 (+10kg)
Raised the weight yet again. Still managed 5. The stack only has two more plates left. I never thought i would be this high (352lbs). Im only little.
5x65 (+5kg) - 5x65 (+5kg) - 5x65 (+5kg)
I really didnt think i would be able to rep this weight at all. It felt so heavy and then my legs just started working and it turned out not to be as hard as i thought. Afterwards my knee joints were sore. Still are 5 hours later.
Leg Press 2 x 3-5
4x150 (+10kg, -1rep) - 5x150 (+10kg)
On the second working set i found it VERY hard. Almost lost it and almost failed to get the stack to move from the bottom on the 3rd rep. Then I noticed i had the weight set to 160. I swapped to 150 and finished the set. I guess i know that i can do 160 now too. Thats for next week.
Bulgarian One legged Squats 2 x 3-5
5x17.5 - 5x27.5
Tried these for the first time today and so went easy on the weights. The second set was still doable and so will start at 37.5kg next week. Balancing was the biggest problem of all. These DO actually feel like they hit my quads. I think they will be a really good but hated exercise.
Sumo Dealifts 2 x 3-5
5x42.5 - 5x42.5
Again another first time exercise. Got the idea from Gimpy's Journal. Tried em out. Liked them a lot. Will be doing more of these. Going to run out of weight next week im pretty sure. Im going to phone my gym tomorrow and actually get grumpy on the phone with them. How can a gym not have enough plates????

Workout Comments

Generally very happy with this workout. My hams were still tight and sore from the workout on sunday (3 days ago). Im totally happy with the progress im making on the weights. I wish it would translate to actual muscular growth!!

Cardio

None. Couldnt even if i had wanted. Legs were blown.

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2600 (2671)
Fat: 126g (116)
Carb: 195g (254)
Prot: 170g (109)

Meal 1 - Bowl of oats, peanutbutter, raisins, semi skim milk
Meal 2 - Sausages with spinach and olive oil, cottage cheese and ham sandwich (granary bread)
Meal 3 - Big Curry and a can of beer
Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6

Comments

Hmmm. As you can see from today my training went really well but my diet was quite crap. Whilst I am hitting the calories i need to hit, the constituents are not good enough. Too low on protein (this is ALWAYS my problem) and the fats today and yesterday were way too much BAD fat.
My bodyfat is creeping up but im not very happy about how im feeling. My stomach is actually getting fatter i can see it. im getting worried. I had a g/f come over tonight (yes - a girl who is actually a friend) and we had a curry and a beer. Was fun. But i feel rubbish cos i feell like im messing up the diet.

*Mutter*

Maki Riddington
07-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Maki:

*** Damn it! You said "pretty" big, not 'big.':( Oh well, maybe when I post my next set of pics the response will be a resounding, "damn, you're big!"

I can dream right?;)

Anyways, I'm a low cal guy. I'm cutting at around 2000-2100 cals. My carbs are around 100-150 grams a day and my protein ranges between 150-180 grams with the rest coming from fat. I'm not big on ratios because I don't think it really matters until you hit below 10%. Then fat loss becomes a son of a biatch.

I bulk around 2600. If I push my cals plus 3000 I become fat. This is because I never cycled my carbs in such a way that they were partitioned properly. So come fall when I've finished dropping my bodyfat down to 11% I'm gonna cycle my carb intake. It will look something like this.

Phase I (high volume sets) 20-25 sets per workout.

My carb intake will be focused around my workouts. This means I'll be taking in around 300 grams plus grams pre/during and post. The remainder will be taken at breakfast (50).

On leg day it will be 400 grams. My protein will be at 200 grams a day. Fat (60 grams) will come from fish caps and the meals I eat which won't be that high in fat.

Mon: Upper
Tues: Lower
Wed: Rest GPP
Thurs:Upper
Fri: Lower
Sat: Haven't decided
Sun: Rest

Phase II (strength workouts, low volume using 90% of 1RM)

My protein will increase to 300 grams and my carbs will drop to 150 grams and my fat will increase to 100 grams. The carbs will be scattered throughout the day, with 50 of them coming pre workout and nothing post workout except protein. My protein post workout will be high (100 grams) and will take the place of the carbs post workout.

Mon: Upper
Tues: Lower
Wed: Rest GPP
Thurs:Upper
Fri: Lower
Sat: Haven't decided
Sun: Rest

I'll repeat this phase a couple times before I change it. This is a rough draft btw.

Maki Riddington
07-14-2004, 06:50 PM
I think he's more of a "pathetic metabolism guy" :D. Last time I talked to Maki I think he was bulking on something like 2600 cals, even at his size.

Has that changed Maki?

*** Nope. :clap:

Focused70
07-14-2004, 07:55 PM
:spam:

lots of pretty colors, heheh.

nice effort, Aug.

Stash

TheGimp
07-14-2004, 11:25 PM
You're going to have to tell me all about these bulgarian squats :D

Maki Riddington
07-14-2004, 11:29 PM
They're killer. I hate doing them.

Augury
07-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Um....right bulgarian squats.

You get a barbell and load it up to whatever and put it across the back of your neck. I think you could also do this with a front grip, dont know yet. Back of the neck was fine. I also dont see any reason why you coldnt use dumbells....but i just find my grip fails when im carrying 22 kilo dumbels in my hands before my legs get even close to failing.

Anyhow...walk to a bench and get your calves toughing it and then take a normal sized single pace forawrds so one leg is forwards and the other is against the bench. then put the back foot up on the bench with the top of your foot on the bench.

squat down, using only one leg. for me it worked my quads very well and also my glutes. the futher forwards your leg the more glutes empasis seems to happen. bring it back and you will nail the quad.

For a FAR better idea of how to do this look here, as my description was bloody awful:
Bulgarian Squat (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise3/bulgariansquat.htm)

Augury
07-15-2004, 06:11 AM
Thanks Gimpy, Maki, Stash (is it Soba or Stash?), Vido for the continued interest and support :)

Maki Question for you....
I read your draft bulking carb cycling workout thingy and Im curious. On your high volume training you seem to bump up the carbs and focus them around workout. That seems fair enough. Then when you go to strength training you suddenly stop having carbs after workout? Is there a reason for not giving your muscles any carbs post workout after you just made them work really hard? I couldnt quite get my head around that. Even if you are keeping carbs low, 20-30g of carbs post workout will make a big difference to stopping the protein breakdown that takes place after workout. Were you working on the fact that becasue it is low rep, low vol, high load you were doing that glycogen depletion is minimal and thus why have any carbs post w/o?

Soba/Stash:
Thankyou....i aim to please. I was pretty chuffed with the pretty colours. The info stands out easy and I can now see at a glance how things are going. Also means people with very low attention spans will read my Journal and think "ooohhhh....shiny....pretty...ill stay here". :)) My longterm goal is to convert praise for how pretty my journal is (you have spartans complaints and constant reminders that Gimpys journal was better organised than mine for this sudden tidying effort) into praise for how dam strong im getting. I have noticed the distinct lack of "whoa dude....nice lifts". I dont think ill ever hear that cos Im a small person to begin with...but one can hope.

Augs

Augury
07-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Week 1, Day 3, REST/CARDIO

Cardio

Nope. nada. none. zip. www.shush.com.

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2600 (2413)
Fat: 126g (109)
Carbs: 195g (206)
Prot: 170g (158)

Meal 1 - Bowl of oats, raisins, semi skim milk
Meal 2 - Tin of tune, spincach, olive oil
Meal 3 - Sausages with red kidney beans, fibrous salad, olive oil, cottage cheese
Meal 4 - tin of tuna, cheese, olive oil, granary bread
Meal 5 - bowl oats, peanut butter, semi skim, raisins
Meal 6 - N/a

Comments

Went to the cinema to see spiderman 2 today with 8 friends. It was good but it meant that i couldnt eat. i had to eat when i got back so im sitting here at 2am, full of tuna and oats and oil and all sorts of evil stuff trying to get it to go down before i hit sack. I hate bloating before bed.

Augs

Augury
07-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Week 1, Day 4, Growth Workout - Upper Body

Weight: 142 lbs (+1lb since last measurement)

Workout

8x20 (+1rep) - 8x20 (+1rep) - 8x20 (+2rep)
Pretty pleased here. My chest felt "tight" and I have been making steady weekly improvements. Im really liking how the bulk is affecting my lifts. Its like newbie gains all over again.
9x14 (+2rep) - 9x14 (+2rep) - 9x14 (+2rep)
I hate shoulders but I do seem to still actually be making progress on them. They were stagnant for ages (2 months) but they have started moving on up since beginning the bulk. I tend to find breating very difficult during shoulder press. I almost end up holding my breath for the whole set. If anyone reads this crap, i wonder if anyone else struggles to breathe on easted miliataries? If so any tips?
Lat Pulldown 3 x 7-9
8x65 (+5kg), (-1rep) - 9x65 (+5kg) - 8x65 (+5kg)
Went great. My lats are getting a lot bigger quite fast. One problem I have is that whilst my lats can pull down more weight, my fingers are of a different opinion. i wear gloves and they still are slipping off. By the last two reps im hanging onto the bar with the tips of my fingers. Just plain gona hurt my hands soon. Dont know how to solve this.
Machine Row 2 x 7-9
9x40 (+5kg) - 9x40 (+5kg)
I love and hate this exercise. It affects me just like leg curls do. I can keep adding weight but the muscles slowly reduce in ROM rather than failing. Really odd feeling. Almost sickening.
8x42.5 (+1rep) - 8x42.5 (+1rep)
This was hard today. Felt a bit exhausted. I so wanted to hit 9 but couldnt. I didnt want to fail either. I WILL hit 9 next week.
Dumbell Lateral Raise 2 x 7-9
8x8 (-1rep) - 8x8 (-1rep)
Ok...due to a little advice from someone "bigger" in the gym today ie changed my form on these. This is a lateral raise and supposed to target the lateral head of deltoid. However (apparently) the way I was doing it was too upright and my thumbs were higher than my little fingers and so i was hitting anterior deltoid. I was told to bend forwards (not quite 45 degrees) and make sure my little fingers were above my thumbs. i have to admit it hit my lateral deltoids which are a lot weaker and so i struggled to hit my targets. Will keep working this now I know how to do it properly.
Barbell Skullcrushers 2 x 7-9
9x22.5 - 9x22.5
I am plateauing on this exercise. Due to my CRAPPY ASSED GYM with no REAL weight plates, not only do I run out of plates for squat and benchpress but they dont have 1.25 kilo (3lb) plates either. I find the skullcrushers with 10kg each end to be impossible but can rep 9 with 7.5 each end. I guess ill change up next week and just try to get 5 or something with a spotter.
Hammer Curls 2 x 7-9
8x14 (+2kg), (-1rep) - 8x14 (+2kg), (-1rep)
I guess Im happy here. I dont really care about bicep size. I work them only 2 sets per week directly in total. I rely upon other pulling exercises to hit them. Still seem to be climbing in direct weight tho...so i must be doing something right.

Workout Comments

i liked this workout. I felt strong and "fed". I was pretty focused and target driven. Chest was the "weak spot" but this time last week my chest was flying and so i got more reps this week. I was looking in the mirror at my back tonight and really for the first time noticed i actually have back muscles that are "defined". Not huge or anything...but muscles there that i can see when i tense.

Cardio

I used the phone a little and watched Alias series 2, episodes 17-20. I count this as cardio as my heart rate always goes up when I see that woman. Damn she is fine. Saying that I get the same effect if not more when I see my g/f so thats good :))

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2600 (2784)
Fat: 126 (115)
Carb: 195 (204)
Prot: 170 (190)

Meal 1 - cottage cheese and ham sandwich on granary bread
Meal 2 - slop with olive oil and frankfurters, 2 riveta with cottage cheese
Meal 3 - chicken, oats with semi skim milk (postworkout meal)
Meal 4 - bowl of tuna with olive oil and spinach
Meal 5 - oats with peanut butter, semi skim milk
Meal 6 - 1 beer (see gimpy? i do eat ****)

Comments

A good day all in all. Made great progress in the gym (as far as i am concerened), I put on a lb of weight bodily and i actually went OVER my protein total. woohoo. Only downside was not spending evening with my g/f. Goddamn it. Im obviously not swole enough to keep her interest. I will grow bigger and re-woo her.

Augs

TheGimp
07-17-2004, 03:54 AM
Sounds damn good Augs, well done. Diet's looking good. Low intake of alcohol has been shown to increase testosterone in women :)

I dont really care about bicep size
This, however, is blasphemy.

Augury
07-17-2004, 06:15 AM
Low intake of alcohol has been shown to increase testosterone in women :)

Im not sure what the implications of that are but it sounded like it was insulting lol. That the best ya got Mr Going To Lose the Competition? In the last 5 months my alcohol consumption, along with my old desire to walk in the front door and hear the "crack....hisssss" of a freshly opened can has vanished. I dont really know why. I didnt even enjoy the beer i had last night. Made me dizzy. I AM turning into a girl. Wait till im on.

Not caring about biceps is blasphemy? Well...you keep on building up those little babies...im too busy doing compounds :) I look over at Aka's journal and i wonder several things....how did he ever get so strong....(hes not THAT huge but hes so VERY strong) and also how am I ever going to get a journal as neat as his. This is my best shot.

Augs

pruneman
07-17-2004, 08:15 AM
I look over at Aka's journal and i wonder several things....how did he ever get so strong....(hes not THAT huge but hes so VERY strong) and also how am I ever going to get a journal as neat as his. This is my best shot.

Augs

I'm afraid it is useless. It is impossible to have a journal as meticulus as aka's...although I must say you are on the right track :p. Workouts are looking good too...more red than blue :thumbup:

Coke
07-17-2004, 08:59 AM
...you are on the right track alright, because this is like some aka23 type $hit, lol - :D

Augury
07-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Cocoa and Pruneman:

LOL....thanks. its fundamentally more important i think to have a really really neat journal but not actually have much of anything to put in it. A neat journal will make me OH SO much stronger! Anyhow...My own self directed sarcasm aside....

Thanks for stopping by and looking. Thanks for the encouragement and the compliments. The neatness is the easy part. Actually the lifting is really fun. i never thought I would say this but i actually hate my bulking diet. Im never hungry, I eat a lot of what i want (although im keeping it clean) and the extra calories are setting me up for personal bests literally every time i go into the gym....BUT....i feel constantly guilty. Every time i eat something i just think...."oh crap. how much of this is going to build muscle and how much is going to go round my belly". Since slaving away on UD2 to actually cut up I loved how i looked after it. Even though i didnt have a lot of muscle mass, the cut made what i had look really good. now im starting to smooth over it all and Im getting grumpy.

So...straw poll. When you go on a "bulk"....how much fat do you tend to put on? How does your BF% rise compared to LBM? Do you ever feel guilt that you may be eating more than you need for muscle growth? Am I paranoid? Am I just a girl trapped in a mans body? I have a headache. Im going to paint my nails and lose the ability to reason logically.

Augs

pruneman
07-17-2004, 10:01 AM
I have always done an about face everytime I see BF go up and it has greatly reduced the gains I've seen in the gym. I am changing my views though. I am going to attempt get over my fear of a little BF and just bulk away and see what happens. Guilty...yeah I get that feeilng a lot...but I think that is why I am still such a puny biatch.

Augury
07-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Pruneman:
I can see how that can happen. The temptation to abandon a bulk as you see hard earned muscle slowly getting covered with blubber is....well difficult to stomach (pun intended). I suppose the question that is currently filling my mind as I am putting on weight is "how much of this is muscle". If im putting on 90% fat and 105 muscle i really may aswell go back to what appeared to be a very very slow UD2 bulk and just put up with what appeared to be a lack of progress but at least it was LEAN progress. Im putting on 1lb per week (slightly more i suspect) but im yet to be convinced that it is mainly muscle. My belly is slowly but surely losing definition and its making me bite my lips :)

Augs

Vido
07-17-2004, 02:26 PM
I look over at Aka's journal and i wonder several things....how did he ever get so strong....(hes not THAT huge but hes so VERY strong)

I can take a "wild" guess...

Vido
07-17-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm having trouble understanding how you do 140lb lat pulldowns, when all of your other exercises seem so out of proportion to that.

Vido
07-17-2004, 02:37 PM
I have always done an about face everytime I see BF go up and it has greatly reduced the gains I've seen in the gym. I am changing my views though. I am going to attempt get over my fear of a little BF and just bulk away and see what happens. Guilty...yeah I get that feeilng a lot...but I think that is why I am still such a puny biatch.

I get the same feeling usually, but not this time around...I'm letting loose and things seem to be working well.

Maki Riddington
07-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Maki Were you working on the fact that becasue it is low rep, low vol, high load you were doing that glycogen depletion is minimal and thus why have any carbs post w/o?

Augs

*** Correct, plus I'm giving myself enough whey post workout which will be converted to glucose.

Scott S
07-17-2004, 11:30 PM
I was pretty chuffed

English, please?

Thanks. :D

Augury
07-18-2004, 07:09 AM
I'm having trouble understanding how you do 140lb lat pulldowns, when all of your other exercises seem so out of proportion to that.

Are you saying 140lb lat pulldown is good? or crappy compared to my other lifts? Not really sure. My biggest problem on latpulldowns is the grip. The handles literally slip out of my fingers and by the end of the set i am about to let go of the bar...i wish i had a stronger grip. I have to strap myself into the seat cos if i dont i just pull myself off the seat and the weight dosnt move.

Ive always had strong lats and fairly explosive biceps. So i can generate a lot of force (for my weight and size) when doing lat pulldowns. Ive embarassed a few people. Saying all that, my training partner who is 3 inches taller than me and 1lb heavier than me does 5kg more on his lats than i do but all his other lifts are lower than mine. So i guess he has strong lats too?

The other thing to concider perhaps is the machine we are using. not all machines are equal. This machine is not a cable+bar lat pulldown machine. Its two handles that move down in a predefined arc. Im not saying its easier or anything...I still pulldown more than most people in the gym i go to but then i train harder than most of them too.

If i thought my lat pulldowns was anything special i would have suggested to Gimpy that we competed on that too lol! Now I should change my mind?

In truth I really didnt think 80kg was that heavy. Its only 40kg per arm and the lats are the biggest muscle in the body. The stack for the machine goes up to like 120-140kg i think...so ive got plenty to go. I go purple when i do lat pulldowns.

If ya dont believe me we can always get Gimpy to come over and verify...he lives about 10-15 mins from me :) verify the weight that is, not how purple i go. i doubt anyone cares about my "about to explode" look.

EDIT: Since posting this ive been thinking. You are right to think "how come he can pulldown 80kg for 5reps but only squat 52.5 for 5 reps? SOme of the answers to these questions are:

- Squats are freeweights and the latpulldown is a machine (not a cable +bar)
- I WOULD squat more. I use ALL the plates in the gym. More are on order. Ive been squatting 52.5 kg for about the last 4 months now. All the while im promised more plates are "on order". Im sick of it to be honest. I would probably be hacksquatting something like 60-70kg by now if i wasnt limited. The gym dosnt have a power rack either so i cant do "proper" squats.

Im now genuinely worried. Should i be able to bench more than i can latpulldown? Is there something very wrong with my other lifts? What are the "typical" proportions for the lifts people do??

*sigh*

Augury
07-18-2004, 07:11 AM
*** Correct, plus I'm giving myself enough whey post workout which will be converted to glucose.

Got ya. Makes cruel kind of sense.

Augs

Augury
07-18-2004, 07:15 AM
English, please?

Thanks. :D

Chuffed: adjective. To be happy. Normally as a sandboy. Apparently sandgirls arent quite as well rewarded as sandboys. I suspect its probably something to do with getting sand in thier chuffs. See below for details.

Chuff: verb. To make the noise a choo choo train makes. Only do this in public if you are a) 6 years old b) very stupid c) a choo choo train.

Chuff: noun. The much sought after area that lives between a womans thighs.

I love english :)

Augs

Augury
07-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Week 1, Day 5, REST/CARDIO

Cardio

no. I didnt. im going to get fat arent i. I hate cardio. its....just...rubbish.

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2600 (2573)
Fats: 126g (123)
Carb: 195g (203)
Prot: 170g (165)

Meal 1 - Ham and cottage cheese sandwich on granary bread
Meal 2 - Slop(veg puree), red kidney beans, frankfurters, olive oil
Meal 3 - large Chicken breast, 2 riveta with peanut butter, ham and english mustard sammie (blew my nose off)
Meal 4 - tin of tuna with a bit of spinach so i didnt throw up. Im suck of tuna.
Meal 5 - BIG bowl of oats and 2 desert spoon PB and semi skim.
Meal 6 - N/a.

Comments

Yesterday my diet felt like crap. Seriously. I look at the totals and they are virtually perfect. But I was having to CHOKE down my food. I wasnt hungry for the entire day. Every meal i had to force myself to eat. I really am worried im just getting fat now.
My girlfriend came over last night and basically we were spending some really nice and "close" time together alone...the problem was i kept having to stop the mood to eat FU*KING tuna. Seriously...I am sick of tuna. I hate tuna. I almost retch at the smell now. If it wasnt so cheap I would actually take my last tin of tuna and put it into some kind of steel tube, pack it with explosives and blow the fu*king tin into goddamn orbit. How can an animal smell so BAD???? Dont other fish think "god....we all just STINK...who would want to eat us??? But ohhhhhh no. no. no. no. I have to eat 170g of stinking protein a day so Ive got to eat tuna. Why dont i have lovely choccie flavoured whey instead? Oh that would be becasue my MAGIC VANISHING mate who is supposed to get me cheap whey has VANISHED. He probably ate one tin of tuna too many and has simply died of stink. Ba*tard.
Im a very clean person, I love to shower and be good smelling. My g/f appreciates this fact about me. I feel GUILTY when i eat tuna now. Not only do i hate the stuff, hate its STINK but I also think..."oh god....i bet i stink of tuna now too. I bet it oozes out my pores and my poor girlfirnd is trying not to RETCH whilst cuddling with me".
I cannot think of a worse job than working in a tuna tinning plant. That is it. If you work in a tuna tinning plant then you HAVE HIT ROCK BOTTOM. Take a good, long look at yourself. Seriously. You work in a large warehouse that tins the stinkiest sh*t in the world. What are you THINKING??? Stop it. Seriously. Work in a car factory or something. I would be surprised if we could even build fu*ing robots to work in a tuna tinning pant. We would probably end up having to pay the robots too...cos they would be retching hydraulic fuild all over the floor becasue not even robots are immune to the stink of stinking tuna.

Ok. Im actually foaming at the mouth now. Ill stop my tuna rant.

Augs.

Maki Riddington
07-18-2004, 12:32 PM
You are not alone. I hate tuna as well.

ryuage
07-18-2004, 12:39 PM
tuna is food for the soul, eat up. :)

you might wanna try some of those tuna creation type deals, they taste much better

Vido
07-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Are you saying 140lb lat pulldown is good? or crappy compared to my other lifts? Not really sure.

I was saying it's good compared to your other lifts. You're right though, different pulley systems can skew the numbers.

Vido
07-18-2004, 01:02 PM
My girlfriend came over last night and basically we were spending some really nice and "close" time together alone...the problem was i kept having to stop the mood to eat FU*KING tuna.

Why would you stop fooling around with a girl in order to eat? There's some things in life that are more important that bodybuilding :D.

Also, you're only eating 2600 calories/day. I would think in all of your waking hours of the day you could find time to choke down 2600 cals without having to interrupt a "special" moment. Now, if you were eating 6000...no, wait, that's still no excuse. Shame on you.

Vido
07-18-2004, 01:03 PM
If you have room for the extra calories in your diet, tuna tastes a lot better when mixed with olive oil.

Augury
07-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Maki:
Yay. Down with tuna! :swear: Was there a time when you did actually like tuna and (like i seem to be doing) utterly ruining your taste for it by eating far to much becasue its essentially a very cheap way to get protein?

Ryuage:
You sound like my mom. Stoppit! The mere thought of my mom posting on my weightlifting journal scares me in a very unnerving way :))

Vido:
Do you have any figures then for the ratios of different exercises? (even if its just from your own weights). What I mean is...is your bench 1.5 times stronger than latpulldown? squats 3x stronger than bench etc? Just curious. I suspect from your statement that I may be a little disproportionate.

Yeah....regarding fooling around. I have to say that it was a chicken and egg situation (both very good sources of protein i may add). The reason I had to stop fooling around and suddenly eat tuna and stuff was BECAUSE i had been fooling around so long i blew straight past 2 meal times. Thus it was a case of either going to bed 1000 cals short or doing something about it. My g/f was remarkably understanding and i returned the courtesy by cleaning my teeth twice after eating the STINKING FOUL VILE tuna. I try not to make a habbit of breaking up time with a female (especially one who I happen to adore) to eat...i admit that is and does sound insane to have done so. I am however blessed in the fact that ive managed to get through life from about age 12 to 32 (now) without really being single for more than a couple months.

"your only eating 2600 cals a day...."
Honestly....you need to know me better. Probably for all but the last 8 weeks of my life I have probably been eating somewhere between 1200 and 1800 calories per day. More importantly those calories have been coming from dense sources such as crisps, biscuits, pasta....basically all high fat, high GI carb sources. So now suddenly im eating all this whole food that takes up FAR more room in my tummy than the old stuff. Im constantly full. I cant actually remeber the last time I was hungry. Well, thats not true....I am genuinely hungry when i get back from my workouts and the food i eat (prolly 1000 cals) post workout seems to vanish. An hour later ill be hungry again. Its the rest days and late evenings that kill me. Just no apetite. Perhaps I need to do a little cardio on the rest days just to trigger an apetite response. Thoughts? But ok....Ill conceed. Everyone seems to be able to eat all this food so I AM ashamed. motherfu*ers the lot of ya.

I agree tuna tastes (and smells) a lot better with olive oil on it. It goes down a lot easier. I eat all my protein (cept for post workout) with fat as i generally try to avoid a lot of carbs and fat together but the more i read from Lyle the more im realising that its just voodoo. He recently wrote articles all over the place about how fat is stored irregardless of insulin spiking anyhow.....he also makes it clear that the tiniest ammount of insulin triggers fat storage..so almost any food that contains carbs will raise it.

Augs

TheGimp
07-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Just go out and get yourself some whey and some milk to mix it with :)

Vido
07-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Vido:
Do you have any figures then for the ratios of different exercises? (even if its just from your own weights). What I mean is...is your bench 1.5 times stronger than latpulldown? squats 3x stronger than bench etc? Just curious. I suspect from your statement that I may be a little disproportionate.

Perhaps I need to do a little cardio on the rest days just to trigger an apetite response. Thoughts? But ok....Ill conceed. Everyone seems to be able to eat all this food so I AM ashamed. motherfu*ers the lot of ya.

I don't really have any ratios. The one that really stood out at me was the dumbbell presses. To be honest, they're probably in line with the rest of your lifts, but I just remember skimming your weights and thinking "how is this guy only pressing 45 lb dumbbells, when he's doing 140 lb lat pulldowns?" I would think you'd be doing at least 60lb dumbbells for that to be in proportion. It's not really a big deal...so, you're good at lat pulldowns, does it really matter much?

Cardio's the one thing that kills my appetite, so it's my recommendation that you do not try that approach. I only wish I didn't get so hungry at night. I could sit down in front of that damn tv and eat 5-6K cals without even noticing it. I guess we all have our problems.

Augury
07-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Just go out and get yourself some whey and some milk to mix it with :)

Hark at you with your southern ideas and posh london sensibilities. go and buy some whey indeed. preposterous. Next you will be telling me the world is infact a sphere and the....how do you say it....teeleevizion? will allow us to watch actors from afar!

Down with your mumbo jumbo.

By the whey (hahahahaha) where do you guys all get your whey from. Im specifically looking for sources that uk buyers would use. Im looking to get a 10lb bag (for me and my mate) and wonder if anyone knows a cheap source.....i think "at large" to be a bit pricey much as i would like to support the site.

Augs

TheGimp
07-18-2004, 02:26 PM
You can get some dirt cheap unflavoured whey at http://www.wheyconsortium.co.uk/

Personally I use http://www.monstersupplements.com/

Aspect
07-19-2004, 07:50 AM
Hi Augury, just thought I'd stop by and wish you well. Without wanting to sound like a stalker, I'll be watching your progress with interest; the neatness of your journal compels me. Nah seriously, it's far more fun to read journals which are "complete", rather than just a list of weights and reps with no comments, thoughts, analysis, diet etc.

Out of interest, where in the UK are you (roughly)? I'm in Northumberland myself, so I can sympathise with your feelings of having a southerner impose his outlandish ideas on you. For shame!

Seriously though, good luck and I look forward to reading more of your successes.

Augury
07-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Gimpy McGimp:
Thanks loads for those two whey links. Really appreciate it. Is the unflavoured whey utterly foul? Is it ok when added to things with taste (berries, bananas etc)? Sure is cheap. Me likes cheap.

Aspect:
I have shamlessly copied from Gimp and aka in order to become "neat". Now this journal is (one of the reasons my last was ended in favour of a clean slate) was that i was getting frustrated with how long it took to post a days training. Now I have templates for it its a darn sight faster.

Im in East Sussex, about 5 mins from gatiwck airport, just south of the 6 o clock mark on the M25. My parents are from Darlington in the NE of england hence my reaction to the complexities of life imposed by southeners with all their fancy ideas. I assume of course that you keep wippets, have a pidgeon loft and a furry mammal in your trousers :) Perfectly normal. After all, its grim up north.

This is the farthest south ive been....spending most of my life in stafford, then the NE then loughborough (where i went to uni the first time) and now here for uni the second time.

I also use my journal to vent. Every now and then i may surprise people with my pet hates. The include:

- tuna.
- cats.
- cats that smell of tuna (think "smelly cat" song from Friends.)
- being vommited on when kissing a drunk girl (i do this rarely for reasons that are many and on multiple levels).
- the general public
- people who misuse the word "irony". (Alanis Morisette being guilty)
- Girls who play mind games.
- Lars Ulrich from Metallica for being an ass.
- People who have no idea how to build a proper fire
- Older style comedians whos idea of funny is simply repeating the same short phrase over and over again until the audience laughs just to get him to move on. Sadly I didnt credit the audience with this level of intelligence (see my loathing for the general public) and so they deserved to be stuck infront of a stage where the 57 yo "comedian" is saying things like "wheres me trousers"...."ooh i say, what about me grandma"...."fancy that, weve got a right hows yer father" blah blah blah. I feel sick just thinking about it.

One day someone will think im funny (if deadpan and scathing humour can ever be concidered funny and not just bitter) and pay me money for it. Until then Ill just content myself with self-loathing and the sense of security only achieved by saying things like "noone understands me anyhow".

Augs

Augury
07-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Week 1, Day 6, Growth Workout - Lower Body

Weight: 141lbs (lost 1lb since last weigh in)

Workout

Leg Press 3 x 7-9
9x140 (+10kg) - 9x140 (+10kg) - 9x140 (+10kg)
This is starting to get hard now. If i forget to tense my abs during the push phase virtually nothing happens. I had no idea how important abs were to this movement. Getting slight pain in the hips sockets too. not sure why. yet. Still, weights still climbing.
Leg Curl 3 x 7-9
7x45 - 8x45 (+1rep) - 8x45 (+1rep)
Finding this one incredibly hard this week. As i get to about rep 6 the power just seems to go from my legs in a "numb" kind of way. its a sickening feeling. I think its going to be a few weeks before i can get this weight up more.
Leg Extension 3 x 7-9
9x45 (+5kg) - 9x45 (+5kg) - 9x45 (+5kg)
These are odd. Each week i think "gosh...up again. will i be able to move this?" and then find that i can. easily. The only caution is that my knees do actually hurt now, the day after. i just feel this exercise stresses the common patellar tendon and the cruciate ligs nastily. Shearing forces are NOT your friend.
Sumo Dead Lift 2 x 7-9
9x30 (+10kg) - 9x30 (+10kg)
i like this exercise. I get such a lower back "pump" from it though. i wonder if anyone else does these and if so can you describe your "form" for it please? I just want to make sure i am actually doing this correctly (or at minimum safely).
Calf Raise 4 x 7-9
8x130 (+10kg, (-1rep) - 8x130 (+10kg, (-1rep) - 8x130 (+10kg, (-1rep) - 8x130 (+10kg, (-1rep)
i hate these. Whilst i can do them...i get frustrated. My calfs are annoying. They move a lot of weight but dont grow. I do the rom slow, and fully. i pause at the bottom and i squeeze at the top. My calfs wont grow. What do I need to do to them. Oh woe is me.
Full ATF Squats 2 x 7-9
9x40 - 9x40
Swapped out hacks here for spotted ass to floor proper squats with bar behind neck. I LOVED them. The ROM is awesome and I really felt it. i can handle more weight but i was just getting used to the feel. Done them before in the past but in a smithee. these were free weight and with no power rack. just with my bud shadowing me behind.
Abs 4 x 7-9
9x20 (+10kg) - 9x20 (+10kg) - 9x20 (+10kg) - 9x20 (+10kg)
Doing these on a swiss ball with 2, 10kg plates clutched uncomfortably to my chest. BB is pain. Im building character. apparently. Am I building my abs tho??? lol.

Workout Comments

Loved it. Rocked. had fun. moved weight. Gained everywhere. I r teh RAR. Legs are kinda sore today but not as much as i expected.

Cardio

Nada.

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2600 (2259)
Fats: 126g (89)
Carb: 195g (227)
Prot: 170g (137)

Meal 1 - cottage cheese + ham sammie on granary bread. 2 slices of cheese on toased granary bread
Meal 2 - bowl of museli+raw oats and semi skim milk. Large chicken breast.
Meal 3 - slice of granary toast with some olive oil spread.
Meal 4 - cottage cheese, ham, peanut butter sammie on granary bread.
Meal 5 n.a.
Meal 6 n.a.

Comments

Fantastic workout. First mess up of the diet. Simply didnt get enough time in the day to eat. Spent the early evening talking to my ex g.f and then literally said bye to her and went to be with my actual g/f for the rest of the evening and most of the night. This time i took Vido's advice and didnt stop what i was doing with my cute and adoreable g.f to eat food. This is the result. 400 under cals and thats after stuffing myself after i finally got home at 5am. Oh life is just sooooo hard.

Notice (like you give a crap) that i lost 1lb today. I dont honestly blame that on the low cals for the day as the workout was at 4pm when I had essentially been eating on target up till that point. I dont really know why i lost weight. I feel fatter. I suspect its a dehydration thing. ive not been drinking anything like enough water last 2 days and a lot of coffee.

I need to drink more water.
i need to drink less coffee
i need to buy whey.
i need to look into Avant's TP carb cycling diet for week 2.
I need to get some more multis and fish caps
i need to push myself harder in the gym cos i just do.

Augs

Augury
07-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Week 1, Day 7, REST/CARDIO

Cardio

I dont know why I even have a cardio "section". I think i put it here cos im jelous of Aka's cardio like abilities. I really should pick his brains about how to make cardio:
a) bearable
b) less dull than watching paint dry
c) not nausiating
d) more appealing than the worst household jobs i can imagine

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2600 (2549)
Fats: 126g (125)
Carb: 195g (209)
Prot: 170g (154)

Meal 1 - Ham, peanutbutter, cottage cheese sandwitch with granary bread.
Meal 2 - bowl of spinach, olive oil and tuna
Meal 3 - bowl of museli, peanutbutter and semi skim
Meal 4 - chicken breast with rice, spinach and olive oil
Meal 5 - some squares of chocolate
Meal 6

Comments

Last day of the week. All in all its gone pretty well. There will be a summary tomorrow of weights and gains etc and a BF reading. Personally i feel like ive put on a lot of fat. I really dont feel anythig like as lean as I did 2 weeks ago. I would care much less if i felt like i was gaining muscle along with the fat. We will see from the maths tomorrow.

Diet went almost perfect today. Pretty happy and somehow didnt ennd up having to gorge last thing at night either. Well done me.

i really need to think about cardio and the effects on a bulk. I guess ill go over to my idol and guru Mr Aka and ask why he actually does cardio whilst bulking. Why not just eat less cals. Hmm.

Augs

TheGimp
07-20-2004, 03:09 AM
I haven't tried the unflavoured stuff myself but I imagine it's pretty foul. I heard about it from another UK member, Giddo, you may want to PM him. I'd think you'd probably have to add some kind of flavouring to it, berries and bananas sounding good :)

Personally I buy Reflex (www.reflex-nutrition.com) from www.monstersupplements.com. They certainly seem to get the job done; I haven't tried many other brands so I cannot really compare, but I am happy with them. I think they're probably a bit expensive but I get mumsy to buy it :p

Sounds like you're progressing really well (I'm sure the weight loss is just an anomaly), I'm getting paranoid!

Augury
07-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Gimpy:

thanks. I will pm the guy and see what he has to say. ta.

I think regarding the weight loss....its probably jelous paranoia for myself. Prebulk i was at the leanest ive ever actually been in my life and also the biggest regarding muscle. So when i looked in the mirror a small part of me was very self congratulatory. I spent a little too long looking in the mirrior infact. and so bulking now (although should be making me bigger) is certainly making me fatter. or thats how it feels. as a result i am seeing my peak best ever looking body slowly smoothing out. and not even that slowly!

i can understand the paranoia. the only thing keeping me sane is that i know i can go back to ud2 anytime i want and the fat will fall off. now i know it happens im a lot more confident. i also have to think that having more muscle pre ud2 will only help the fat stripping equation and so its all good.

still....i hate fat. and the ultimate irony? my girlfriend prefers me as i am right now (bulking with a smoother fatter physique) than pre bulk when things were defined. what is it with girls huh? huh? they are quite mad.

Augs

Anthony
07-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Could the smoothness be water instead of fat? Either way, I gaurantee you'll prefer being 200 with some fat than 140 and no fat. :D

dissipate
07-20-2004, 07:33 AM
think they're probably a bit expensive but I get mumsy to buy it i wish i could get my mom to buy me supplements!

augury: i hate tuna too :mad: but it's cheaper than supplements :cry:

Augury
07-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Anthony:

Heya Anthony. Nice of ya to drop by :) 200? Me? 200? if that day ever comes, to quote The Last Boyscout.."ill dance a fu*king jig". I still think that was Bruce Willis's best film apart from Die hard but I digress. For me to get to 200lbs I would have to put on 60lbs. Just even thinking of it my mind kinda "skips" in a similar way to when someone says "one of the most beautiful girls ive ever seen is looking at you bud" and before you even turn around to look, you just KNOW she is looking at her mate who is standing in the distance behind you. The two girls then go on later, to slow kiss and really annoy you. But again, i digress.

I would rather be 180 and 7% than 200 and 15%. That is my honest opinion. I would rather be 160 and 7% than 200 and 15%. However I would love to BE 200. But just 7-8%. Bodyfat is, i find, quite unappealing and i hate when i bend over and see rolls. I just think its yukky. I simply cannot concieve that I could ever manage to somehow add 57lbs of LBM. Is that actually possible? Im only 5'6 or 5'7.

Dissipate:
I hear ya. Ive had a secondary cunning plan tho. We get Gimpys mom to buy us all supliments and in return we will sort out some kind of lawn mowing, house redecorating, general heavy labour kind of rota. Yay for good ideas.

Augs

Anthony
07-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Gaining weight while trying to stay lean makes things way more difficult than need be. I'm not saying you should become a fat ass, but you could achieve your long term goals a lot faster if you lived with a little bit of chub for awhile. For example ...

Right now you are 140 @ 10% = 14lbs of fat and 126lbs of LBM. Let's say you did some hardcore bulking and put on 40lbs in the next year (it's possible). Let's assume you end up at 180 @ 14% = 25.2lbs of fat and 154.8lbs of LBM. Then go on a slow cut for ~16 weeks and drop 10lbs of fat while maintaining LBM. So in 1.5 years you could go from 140 @ 9% to 170 at 8.9%.

How long do you think it will take you to gain 30lbs of LBM if you stay under 10%? :)

Vido
07-20-2004, 01:26 PM
My thoughts exactly Anthony. My last couple of bulks I've focused on minimizing fat gain far too much, and the results were not nearly as good as when I used to let myself go a little. So now that I'm bulking again, I'm working on becoming a fattie :D.

Augury
07-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Anthony and Vido:

I agree. I truly do. however im fighting self loathing. I hate getting fat. but ill tell you what i set out mentally when i started this bulk which immpretty sure i have ommited from this journal so far.

i started the bulk at 9.4%BF and Ive always been prepared to go up to 14%BF with the bulk. However if I get over 14% in the course of the bul Im stopping it and Ill go back to a cut. i just dont want to get too fat. Ive a small frame and when i get chub i look like crap. i dont have a long body to hide it all on.

Last time i measured i was 10%. I need to measure again tomorow morning and see what im at BF wise. i have my weight for today which ill be posting into my summary for the week in the journal before i hit sack today.

So as you can see, I am prepared to put on fat. Im happy to put on 4.5% bodyfat infact. But you can appreciate I want to make the most of the fat gain. I dont want to find myself at 14% in two more weeks. That will prove im putting on nothing but fat and no muscle. i need to be gaining muscle too or something isnt working.

Augs

Augury
07-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Week 2, Day 1, Strength Workout - Upper Body

Weight: 141 lbs (no change since last weigh in)

Summary Info:
29/06/04 - 137 lbs - 9.4% BF (begin week of maintenance)
06/07/04 - 139 lbs - 9.6% BF (begin TRIAL bulk week)
13/07/04 - 141 lbs - 10.0% BF (begin Week 1)
20/07/04 - 141 lbs - measure tomorrow (begin Week 2)

Total Calories to be consumed Week 1: 18200 (2600 per day)
Total Calories actually consumed Week 1: 17896 (304 under) (2556 av)

Workout

Seated Military Dumbell Press 4 x 3-5
5x18 (+1rep) - 5x18 (+1rep) - 5x18 - 5x18 (+1 SET)
Weight was hard this week but will be raising next week to try and get 3's. Also added a set here. Realised I wasnt doing enough sets on the upper body strength workouts. Lower body is at correct sets. Just a mistake for week one upper body str.
Flat Barbell Bench Press 4 x 3-5
5x52.5 (+2rep) - 4x52.5 - 5x52.5 - 5x52.5 (+1 SET)
Same again. Added an extra set here too. Quite pleased i managed the extra set actually. I really wanted 5's in the last few sets but couldnt develop them. This is the heaviest i can make the barbell in my gym till new weight plates arrive.
Row machine 4 x 3-5
5x50 (+2rep) - 5x50 (+1rep) - 5x50 (+1rep) - 5x50 (+1 SET).
Pleased with this. Added a set and maxed the reps. Will be going up next week.
5x22 (+2rep) - 5x22 (+1rep)
Happy here too. Sadly the gym dosnt have any dumbells heavier than 22kg so im going to have to add a set and push for 6's next week. I hate my gym.
Lat Pulldown 2 x 3-5
3x85 (+5kg, -2rep) - 4x85 (+5kg, -1rep)
I pulled as hard as i could today. This is my cieling and any gains from here are through blood and sweat. Hurt my fingers as they slid off the bar during the reps. Still happy to get another 5kg.
Lateral Raises 2 x 3-5
5x8 (-2kg) - 5x8 (-2kg)
Changed form here to ACTUALLY target the lateral delts. My previous form was to stand upright and raise. I would then lean back slightly and basically lift with anterior delt. I lowered the weight this week and now lean forwards at about 60degrees and slightly internally rotate arm then pull up. It hits the lateral delt hard. I now know how weak it is compared to my anterior delt.
Abs 6 x 3-5
5x20 - 5x20 - 5x20 - 5x20 (-1 SET) - 5x20 (+1 SET) - 5x20 (+1 SET)
Getting better at focusing on the abs during these. Felt it pretty good.

Workout Comments

Didnt eat enough early in the day. Tried to make up for it with a small pre-workout bowl of oats. Still got to the gym feeling not well fed enough. Workout was fine and strong but i know I could have done better with more food in me earlier.

Cardio

Watched last 2 episodes of Series 2 of ALIAS with some buds (friends, not the beer). This raised my heart rate as she is a foxy babe. Damn.

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2600 (2575)
Fats: 126g (119)
Carb: 195g (221)
Prot: 170g (160)

Meal 1 - ham and cheese on toast (granary) with a half cup of cottage cheese
Meal 2 - Bowl of oats, honey, semi skim
Meal 3 - Tuna and slop with olive oil. Large bowl oats and honey and semi skim
Meal 4 - tuna + olive oil
Meal 5 - frankfurters with a slice of granary bread
Meal 6 - n.a.

Comments

So week one is at an end. Day 1 of week 2 is over. Looking at my weight gains it seems that my initial panick about gaining weight too fast was premature. My weight has averaged no change this week. Meaning that now, over the last two weeks (trial bulk week and week 1) ive averaged a 1lb per week gain. However in light of the fact that ive not gained any actual weight in week1, I will be raising calories to 2900 from 2600. At the same time I am going to be introducing the concepts that are discussed in the "Twin Peaks" carb cycling diet over on Avant Labs. Essentially its a twice weekly cycle. There are 3 different "types" of days: High carb, Low Carb and No Carb. For me, the net effect of this will be that i "average" 2900 cals a day across the week but my carbs (and calories) are cycled. Protein and fat stay fixed and most notably, the fat is a lot lower than Im eating right now. We will see how I respond to it. i feel i need to eat more carbs but im wary of my sensitivity to them and so Im giving the carb cycling a go. Ill post the sequence of carb days into my diet routine on page 1 of the Journal.

Augs

dissipate
07-21-2004, 07:51 AM
hahaha good plan aug... now... where did gimpy go???

Augury
07-21-2004, 10:03 AM
have postes up Week 2 and on's diet on the Diet Template on page one of my journal for anyone who is interested in seeing the next crazyness im up to. Workout remains the same. Calories are up now to just over 2900 per day but cycling carbs and cals will take them down to 1500ish and up to 4000 ish depending on what im doing. High carbs focus around workout days so no surprises there.

This is essentially an experiment to see if i can lower fat intake and raise carb intake and not get fat due to cycling them and thus hopefully feeding them to my body when im burning and cutting them when im resting. I may even be tempted (thanks to Aka being such a goddamned machine and im frankly insanely jelous) into doing cardio which i H8 more than tuna. And you all now know how I feel about tuna.

Off to the gym now to go do my Lower Body Growth Workout. Raaa.

Augs

Vido
07-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Just checked the new diet. You're not supposed to have 2 high carb days in a row, nor are you supposed to have 2 no carb days in a row (but this isn't a problem for you). The only type of day you can have 2 days in a row is the low carb day. I believe this is the case if you are someone who tends to put on fat easily, or someone who just wishes to minimize fat gain as much as possible...as I understand it, you fall into the latter category.

Just because Wednesday's workout falls on a day that you lift doesn't mean it has to be high carbs. You should be carbed up from the day before, so you should have more than enough energy to destroy your legs that day. You would make this a low carb day, and just focus those carbs primarily post-workout, with maybe something small pre-workout.

I'll give you my split which I quite like just for reference:

Mon-off (cardio), no carbs
Tue-back/traps, high carbs
Wed-chest/abs, low carbs
Thurs-legs, high carbs
Fri-off (cardio), no carbs
Sat-miscellaneous (more of a power workout with heavy deads and bench), high carbs
Sun-arms, low carbs

I also set my diet up a little bit differently too. I don't like the fact that you're eating under maintenance on so many days (especially if you take my advice and drop one of the high cal days). Again, I don't care about %'s of macronutrients and I always eat tons of protein, so I don't even worry about setting it at any level. I want to average 4200 calories/day, so my no/low/high carb days are 2600/4000/5400 cals. So, that's 5 days of eating over maintenance, and then 2 days of supposed dieting in an attempt to keep the fat gain low.

Augury
07-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Vido::
I really appreciate that you take so much time to keep me on the straight and narrow :) Thanks for taking the interest.

I dont know if you saw my post over on avant:

Avant Labs->Mind and Muscle Magazine->Questions, suggestion, and ideas.->Carbohydrate Cycling by Twinpeak. I post on page 9 at the bottom. (for some reason i cant link to avants forums directly)

Anyhow...in the post I detail a diet closer to that which you suggest which is only 3 high carb days, 3 low and 1 no. however if you follow TP's suggestions for ammounts of carbs on each of the days (0.25/lb for no, 1/lb for low and 4/lb for high) then you see that with 3high, 3low and 1no I fall short of the total i need (2900/dayx7=20300). TP suggested if i dont gain that i add in another high carb day. So if i do that (whcih ive already done) then i end up having to fit in 4 high carb days a week. Adding to that he suggests putting them on your workout days i was left with what i posted in my diet section.

Im not setting any of this in stone and up open to suggestions. However your low carb days seem to be anything but low :) You seem to have High, almost as high and medium lol. How did you arrive at your carb totals?

Augs

Vido
07-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Im not setting any of this in stone and up open to suggestions. However your low carb days seem to be anything but low :) You seem to have High, almost as high and medium lol. How did you arrive at your carb totals?

I didn't even post my carb totals, so you're only inferring from the number of calories I'm consuming. Like I've said before I eat A LOT of protein, and my fat intake is probably higher than the one you've set for yourself. My no/low/high carb days in terms of CARBS are trace/200g/600g.

TheGimp
07-22-2004, 03:57 AM
I look forward to seeing whether all this diet business is worth it :) Good luck with it.

where did gimpy go???
I'm right here? :confused:

Augury
07-22-2004, 05:28 AM
Gimpy:

hey. you could have even used the word "malarkey". I think that is such a cool english word. It implies so much. So lets see an action replay:

"I look forward to seeing whether all this diet malarkey is worth it Good luck with it."

Dosnt that have a good feel about it now? It implies what I think you were trying to imply which is that im mad and always fiddling. Yes, I suppose I am, but you have HST to fiddle with see...and my workout is simple and fixed and just me adding weights and pounding out reps whereas you have mad variating (is that a word?) set schemes and rep ranges and deconstructive thingys and stuff. I needed something to "fiddle" with. So I found something. Its about 10x simpler than UD2 tho.

Vido:

Heya Vido, got some Q's for ya:

"Sat-miscellaneous (more of a power workout with heavy deads and bench), high carbs"

When you say "power workout" is that like my strength workout? Ive always kinda thought of 3-5 reps as Strength, 7-10 as hypertrophy/growth and 12-15 as sarcoplasmic growth/depletion. What kind of range is "power" in and what does it do for you?

So are you actually following the TP diet? I saw your post over on aka's journal so I basically assume now that you are on the TP diet and have modified it yourself a bit? He is a bit vague with numbers but Ive read that hes working on a TP diet for the anally retentive soon so I will be happy. You were right, I stupidly inferred your carbs from the calorie totals. I was probably too busy thinking "bloody hell how much????" to think straight and not equate cals with carbs. You say:

I average 4200 calories/day
no - 2600 - trace
low - 4000 - 200
high - 5400 - 600

From this Im guessing say 100g fat?
no = 425g prot?
low = 575g prot?
high = 525g prot?

Im a numbers guy, always have been so im just trying to see how all your numbers play out. you are right....you DO eat a LOT of protein. If i tried to eat that much i would throw up. I cant recall what you weight but that must be getting on for 2-3g/lb for you? Does it hurt lol?

Im going to send TP an email today cos I want some slightly "straighter" answers from him regarding numbers. Just tossing in an "extra high carb day for a low carb day" seems rather vague and means i have to break his rules of no back to backing unless i have a high carb day on a rest day which seems...insane.

Augs

Augury
07-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Week 2, Day 2, Strength Workout - Lower Body

Workout

Weight: 141 lbs (no change since last weigh)

Full ASF Squats 4 x 3-5
5x52.5 - 5x52.5 - 5x52.5 - 5x52.5
Still no more plates in the gym so cant raise weight as i so desperately need to. Having to just suck it down. Will go to 6 reps per set next week. Im loathe to move out of the "strength" rep range tho. Perhaps an extra set instead. I dunno.
Ham Curl machine 4 x 3-5
4x55 (+1rep) - 4x55 (+1rep) - 3x55 - 3x55 (-2rep)
I dont really know how last week i managed to do 3,3,3,5. This week went more sensibly 4,4,3,3 as my strength faded. So I dropped 2 reps on the last set compared to last week. This really is a limit for me. i want to see 5's across the board. Will bust my ass next week (probably quite literally)
Calf Raise 4 x 3-5
5x170 (+10kg) - 5x170 (+10kg) - 5x170(+10kg) - 5x170(+10kg)
I really didnt think this would happen. I was almost going to repeat last weeks weight but make sure my form was good. However at the last minute i decided to raise the weight and still focus on form. wow. I actually did slow, controled reps with pauses at the bottom. Rep 5 of each set was really slow as the muscle just didnt have the strength to move explosively. Im pretty pleased here. Only 2 plates left on the stack tho :(
4x70 (+5kg, -1rep) - 5x70 (+5kg) - 5x70 (+5kg)
Ok. This exercise is a double edged sword. I am really happy that my quads seem to be getting stronger. I actually think this is my fave exercise. I just love the feel of my quads going at full tilt. However, it hurts my knees. I know this is a bad exercise for the knees and I get a lot of knee soreness now as a result of this. I dont want to bust up mk knees though so Im concidering dropping it or alternating it with something else. anyone else do these?
Leg Press 2 x 3-5
5x150 (+1rep) - 5x150
This was bloody hard. I didnt realise i was pressing 330lbs till I did the maths a sec ago. I know its not a squat or anything but the sled isat a slight incline and so when im pressing this im lifting 330lbs off the stack plus a small proportion of my own bodyweight and the chair itself. So im actually lifting more than just the stack. That said...i pretty much doubt i could squat with 70kg on each side of a bar. I do the leg press with my heels 10 inches apart and i do keep good slow form on them too on the negs and im as explosive on the push as I can be with the weight. My ROM is the equivalent of going to paralell. When i squat with a barbell i do Ass To Floor. I honestly am getting a bit scared now. I need to raise this to 160 to only get 3's but it feels like if i losr focus for a moment i will have some horrific accident and snap my knees or something. I get a little pain with this but its actually in my hips at the top of the push.
Bulgarian 2 x 3-5
5x37.5 (+20kg) - 5x37.5(+10kg)
Pretty happy with these. balance is still a serious issue but the movement itself is deep and rewarding. This is getting closer to a working weight now. I think 42.5 will be a challenge. I will also need a spotter for balance.
Sumos 2 x 3-5
5x40 (+5kg) - 5x40 (+5kg)
These are also starting to get heavy now. Whilst I can physically move the weight and complete the exercise and also feel i could lift more i suspect i have the form wrong. I need to post on the boards for the correct form. i think im using my lower back way too much on this.

Workout Comments

I ate more before the workout in terms of total quantity and also in terms of eating more carbs pre workout. When in the gym i felt a bit sleepy though. i think its just from r/l stress and poor sleeping patterns. Im a total night owl. Still, i got through the workout without too much daydreaming and almost all lifts are up. When in the name of Zeus's BUTTHOLE are the new weights arriving.[/B]

Cardio

none whatsoever.

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2600 (2660)
Fats: 60g (58)
Carb: 360g (389)
Prot: 155g (150)

Meal 1 - ham and cottage cheese sammie on granary bread. Bowl of oats with a little honey and semi skim.
Meal 2 - bowl of tuna and spinach
Meal 3, Pre workout - bowl of oats, honey, semi skim
Meal 4, Post workout - large bowl oats, honey, semiskim. Plate of low fat sausages and brown rice.
Meal 5 - n/a
Meal 6 - n/a

Comments

I was going to move to Twin Peaks diet today but im just not ready. i dont have everything I want to know about it in place yet. Vido is also showing me errors and Aka is casting a pall over the whole concept right now. thats not a critisizm its just that I take other peoples opinions seriously and listen. So in light of that ive delayed the introduction of TP diet until day1, week 3. Thats if i introduce it at all. Up till then ill be sticking to my original bulk diet but for these changes: Increased cals from 2600 to 2900, halfing fat intake to 60g from 126g. Increasing carb intake from 200g to 475g and dropping protein from 170g to 155g simply to fit in with the TP scheme and info from other sources (sorry vido - i know you love your P).

I decided to do this last night AFTER i had eaten all of the days food and so im basically just looking like a meal from last week. Diets are so annoying. Still tomorrow (day 3, week2) should be set.

Vido
07-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Heya Vido, got some Q's for ya:

"Sat-miscellaneous (more of a power workout with heavy deads and bench), high carbs"

When you say "power workout" is that like my strength workout? Ive always kinda thought of 3-5 reps as Strength, 7-10 as hypertrophy/growth and 12-15 as sarcoplasmic growth/depletion. What kind of range is "power" in and what does it do for you?

***Totally used the wrong word there, my bad. It's even more of a strength workout than the UD2 strength workout is in terms of reps. Bench varies between 3-5, deads between 1-3, and then I throw some farmer's walks in at the end. There are 2 reasons I like this workout and chose to include it:

1) I like having deads on basically their own day. They really take a lot out of me, and I feel that my strength levels in the back exercises that would follow if I were doing them on back day suffer a great deal.

2) I hate full body workouts. I'd much rather do one or two bodyparts/day and only hit them once/week. I am, however, aware of the science behind HST-style (more frequent) workouts. This way, I am hitting my chest (bench) and back/legs (deads) twice/week, as opposed to just one.

So are you actually following the TP diet?

***To be honest, no. I skimmed the diet once a little over a month ago and haven't looked at it since. I did, however, incorporate some (most?) of the principles I remembered from that one reading into my current diet.***

I saw your post over on aka's journal so I basically assume now that you are on the TP diet and have modified it yourself a bit? He is a bit vague with numbers but Ive read that hes working on a TP diet for the anally retentive soon so I will be happy. You were right, I stupidly inferred your carbs from the calorie totals. I was probably too busy thinking "bloody hell how much????" to think straight and not equate cals with carbs. You say:

I average 4200 calories/day
no - 2600 - trace
low - 4000 - 200
high - 5400 - 600

From this Im guessing say 100g fat?
no = 425g prot?
low = 575g prot?
high = 525g prot?

***The way I count calories will never add up probably. If I'm having a whey shake, for example, I consider that 23g protein (for one scoop)...I don't bother counting the fat, carbs towards my daily totals for those 2 macronutrients (that is where I get "trace" carbs from because I realize they are there, but they're not directly counted as carbs). You might be a bit confused now, so let me try to repeat that more simply. One scoop of whey is 23g protein, 1g fat, 2g carbs, and 110 calories (or something to that effect). I count the 23g protein towards my daily protein total. I count the 110 calories towards my daily calorie total. I DO NOT count the fat or carbs towards my daily fat or carb total. Don't ask why, that's just the way I do things :).

So when you see 2600 calories and assume 100g fat, you automatically presume I'm eating more protein than I am. You see, if I were eating 425g protein that would be 1700 calories from the PROTEIN ALONE...but there's always trace carbs and fat around, so to keep calories at 2600 that protein is going to be lower. I hope you follow as I don't think that's overly clear. I can try again later if you wish.***

Im a numbers guy, always have been so im just trying to see how all your numbers play out. you are right....you DO eat a LOT of protein. If i tried to eat that much i would throw up. I cant recall what you weight but that must be getting on for 2-3g/lb for you? Does it hurt lol?

***I'm sitting at about 210lbs, so 2g or so per lb, give or take. I'd eat 250g, which is already over 1g/lb without even trying, so getting the extra 150-250g really isn't that difficult for me. And no, it doesn't hurt, lol.***

Im going to send TP an email today cos I want some slightly "straighter" answers from him regarding numbers. Just tossing in an "extra high carb day for a low carb day" seems rather vague and means i have to break his rules of no back to backing unless i have a high carb day on a rest day which seems...insane.

Augs

Augury
07-23-2004, 04:55 AM
Week 2, Day 3, REST/CARDIO

Cardio

I cycled furiously to the cinema to see Spidey2 again. This ammounted to a 5 min sprint where I amazed passers by with my near matrix like abilities to dodge, weave and contort my body and bike to fit through narrow gaps. Effect on calories? probably zip.

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2900 (2788)
Fats: 60g (55)
Carb: 435g (394)
Prot: 155g (181)

Meal 1 - ham and cottage cheese sammie on granary bread. Bowl of oats with a little honey and semi skim.
Meal 2 - tuna and red kidney beans with a little olive oil.
Meal 3 - bowl oats, honey, semi skim
Meal 4 - large chicken breast, brown rice, onion, chilis.
Meal 5 - oats, honey, semi skim, cinnamon
Meal 6 - n/a

Comments

Pretty happy with yesterdays new diet totals. Didnt feel too full as I ate a lot earlier in the day. Didnt want to be left with 1500 cals to eat before bed. Im eating a LOT of oats. What do others on high carb diets actually eat dammit? Id say im eating 3 cups of raw oats a day. Is that normal?

Vido
07-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Why were you having a high carb day on an off day?

I actually like oats, and eat less of them than I would if I didn't have my messed up way of counting calories. 1/3 cup oats is 114 cals, 20g carbs, 4g protein, 2g fat (or thereabouts), but I'm only counting the carbs and calories towards my daily total. I wouldn't really eat less than a cup of oats at a time so that's 12g protein and 6g fat that I'm just pretending aren't there, but those extra 102 calories do exist and I have to count them. Given I have only a set amount of calories to work with for the day, I try to use sources that have a greater % of their calories coming from carbs than oats do. Basically, this equates to eating a lot of brown rice. I believe yams are actually an even better choice, but I don't find them filling enough. A 200g carb yam could be devoured in seconds.

Augury
07-23-2004, 11:49 AM
In one of my earlier workout posts (about 3 back maybee?) I said that i had decided to defer the TP cycling diet for at least another week (until beginning week 4) so i could get a few straight answers from TP himself via email.

in the meantime ive upped cals from 2600 to 2900 (you proud of me Vido? im eating see?) and ive increased carb intake somewhat and decreased fat intake. i felt that 130g of fat a day on 2600 was a bit too much even if it was good fats. So im eating 65g or so a day and 400ish carbs at 2900. Ill do that for a week and see how things go till TP replies.

what in gods name is a yam? ive never heard of it. It sounds like part of a cammel.

Augs

TheGimp
07-23-2004, 12:09 PM
On this side of the pond we call them sweet potatoes.

Augury
07-23-2004, 12:24 PM
no way. lol. i never realised that. i actually quite like them but they are expensive and always in the "speciality" foods area where I shop. hmmm.

The other thing...ive read that potatoes are very high GI foods cos they are starch and starch is just a bunch of glucose stuck together. is my memory failing me here? do you guys eat a lot of potatoes then? ive avoided them so far for that reason...i love tatas. i would hate to think ive been missing out on my fave carb.

in what circumstances do you eat them? pre? post workout? any old time?

Augs

Vido
07-23-2004, 12:26 PM
in the meantime ive upped cals from 2600 to 2900 (you proud of me Vido? im eating see?)

Thatta boy :thumbup:

I was under the impression that yams were low GI, while regular potatoes were high GI. I think I recently read something to the contrary though, so I could be mistaken.

Aspect
07-24-2004, 04:21 AM
Yams and sweet potatoes are actually different - though they're similar. In the US in particular, the word "yam" is misused, and what is referred to in the US as a yam is actually a sweet potato. True yams are actually tubers that grow mainly in Africa, and can get as large as 100lbs. Ideal for a bulk then.

Both are lower GI than white potatoes, though cooking method affects GI too (so a roasted yam is higher GI than a boiled white potato). Boiling gives the lowest GI, roasting the highest. However, this may be a result of the reduction in volume when roasting, and increase in volume when boiling, as water is eliminated/absorbed respectively (I say this because GI is a measure of the effect of a controlled amount of the food - usually 50g. Roasting eliminates water, which makes the item "denser", while boiling has the opposite effect - water is absorbed, so the item becomes less dense.)

So there you go...

Augury
07-24-2004, 05:32 AM
Vido:

And I eat all my greens. Im good.

I need to measure my BF today, its a little overdue, and i need to post yesterdays training/diet. Im a slacker.

Aspect:
Thanks for the info :) That was pretty detailed. Do you work in the GI measuring industry lol?
I cannot imagine how big a 100lb tuber is. My god...that would feed a small village for a week. Are you in the US or the UK Aspect? And wheres your journal? Do you have one?

Aspect
07-24-2004, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the info That was pretty detailed. Do you work in the GI measuring industry lol?

Lol no, but I'm a diabetic so things like GI and carbs in general are pretty important to me :). The information overload was because I'd just been reading aka's journal, and I tend to become even more of a fact-fiend than normal after reading his posts (I mean that in a good way; I greatly admire his analytical style of writing).

I'm in the UK, Northumberland in fact. I haven't started a journal as yet, because I'm off on a 3-week holiday next week, so I didn't think it worth starting a journal then leaving it dormant straight away. Anyway, I'm only returning to lifting at the moment after a long lay-off, so I'm basically lifting bugger all weight while I get used to good form again. I'll be starting a journal when I come back, so you can follow my progress (or lack thereof) to your heart's content ;).

TheGimp
07-24-2004, 09:18 AM
I look forward to reading your journal when you start it Aspect. Your posts are very informative :)

I am not entirely sure how GI works, but wouldn't the fat used in roasting slow digestion, thereby reducing the GI?

Aspect
07-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Thanks; I'll try not to disappoint when I start the journal ;).

I think the figures given in most GI charts tend to be for dry roasting / baking. If you roasted in oil/fat, then as you say the additional fat would tend to blunt absorbtion of sugar into the blood (i.e. lower the effective GI).

As I say, I think that part of the reason for the difference in GI between roasting and boiling is simply down to the amount of water, and the artificial way GI is measured. If you take a 100g potato and roast it, it will weigh less than 100g at the end as some water has been lost. If you boil a 100g potato, it will end up weighing more than 100g as some water is absorbed.

So obviously, if you take 50g of each cooked potato, the roasted potato will contain more carbohydrate than the boiled. It will therefore have a larger effect on blood sugar, and will therefore be measured as having a greated GI. However, in the real word, if you ate the entire potatoes, you'd be eating the same amount of carbs in both the roasted and the boiled, and the effects on blood sugar will be much more similar.

GI isn't really an infallible way of looking at carbs, because the quantity of carbohydrate you take in also has an effect on blood glucose levels (e.g. eating 200g of a 50-GI food will have a greater effect than 50g of a 75-GI food etc.), as does whatever you eat with it (eating fibre, fat or protein with your carbs blunts the effects of the carbs in terms of spiking blood glucose levels / spiking insulin). I personally wouldn't worry about it in too much detail; I just use GI as a rough guideline, not something to obsess over.

JTyrell710
07-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Gimpy McGimp:
Thanks loads for those two whey links. Really appreciate it. Is the unflavoured whey utterly foul? Is it ok when added to things with taste (berries, bananas etc)? Sure is cheap. Me likes cheap.

Aspect:
I have shamlessly copied from Gimp and aka in order to become "neat". Now this journal is (one of the reasons my last was ended in favour of a clean slate) was that i was getting frustrated with how long it took to post a days training. Now I have templates for it its a darn sight faster.

Im in East Sussex, about 5 mins from gatiwck airport, just south of the 6 o clock mark on the M25. My parents are from Darlington in the NE of england hence my reaction to the complexities of life imposed by southeners with all their fancy ideas. I assume of course that you keep wippets, have a pidgeon loft and a furry mammal in your trousers :) Perfectly normal. After all, its grim up north.

This is the farthest south ive been....spending most of my life in stafford, then the NE then loughborough (where i went to uni the first time) and now here for uni the second time.

I also use my journal to vent. Every now and then i may surprise people with my pet hates. The include:

- tuna.
- cats.
- cats that smell of tuna (think "smelly cat" song from Friends.)
- being vommited on when kissing a drunk girl (i do this rarely for reasons that are many and on multiple levels).
- the general public
- people who misuse the word "irony". (Alanis Morisette being guilty)
- Girls who play mind games.
- Lars Ulrich from Metallica for being an ass.
- People who have no idea how to build a proper fire
- Older style comedians whos idea of funny is simply repeating the same short phrase over and over again until the audience laughs just to get him to move on. Sadly I didnt credit the audience with this level of intelligence (see my loathing for the general public) and so they deserved to be stuck infront of a stage where the 57 yo "comedian" is saying things like "wheres me trousers"...."ooh i say, what about me grandma"...."fancy that, weve got a right hows yer father" blah blah blah. I feel sick just thinking about it.

One day someone will think im funny (if deadpan and scathing humour can ever be concidered funny and not just bitter) and pay me money for it. Until then Ill just content myself with self-loathing and the sense of security only achieved by saying things like "noone understands me anyhow".

Augs

augs- From a Bostonian's perspective-- that is the most confusing and incomprehensible post i have ever seen. all i can say is what are you talking about- i have never seen more of a language barrier between US and UK than in that post...

i like the journal tho, and i hate when comedians do the "keep comin back to the same stupid phrase" thing.

Augury
07-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Tyrell:

lol. Ive never been told im unintelligable before. I cant spell, i know that...but you didnt understand anything I said? was it words? phrases? I re-read it and though im willing to admit i was off on a rant, I thought it at least made partial sense. Mabee a little too much coloquialism/slang crept in? I tend to do that on rants.

Thanks for the compliments on the journal. You have Aka and Gimpy to blame for its neatness. Though the neat posts are more than destroyed by the winding babble that usually seperated them.

Augs

TheGimp
07-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Fair enough Aspect, just an issue of semantics it seems. Personally I would say potatoes cooked in the oven without fat would be baking and with fat would be roasting :)

Augury
07-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Week 2, Day 4, Growth Workout - Upper Body

Weight: 142 lbs (+1 lbs since last time)

Workout

9x20 (+1rep) - 9x20 (+1rep) - 9x20 (+1rep)
Happy with this. Will move up a weight next week. Stabilizers felt good and solid.
7x16 (+2kg, -2rep) - 8x16 (+2kg, -1rep) - 7x16 (+2kg, -2rep)
Really happy about this. Shoulders finally seem to have broken their plateau and are making progress in militarys. I never know whethere to quote the weight of one of the dumbells or whether i should be quoting the total weight im pressing which would be 32kg in this case (70lbs).
Lat Pulldown 3 x 7-9
9x70 (+5kg, +1rep) - 9x70 (+5kg) - 9x70 (+5kg)
My lats seem to be unstoppable. As usual grip on the bar is my limiting factor. Progress is scaring me.
Machine Row 2 x 7-9
7x45 (+5g, -2rep) - 7x45 (+5g, -2rep)
This is starting to get hard now and Im wary of losing form so next week I will keep the weight the same and focus on form and probably still only get 7 reps out of it.
9x42.5 (+1rep) - 7x42.5 (COLOR=RoyalBlue]-1rep[/COLOR]
Im a bit angry about this. I guess the earlier part of the workout took it out of me and I slipped a rep compared to last week with no weight increase. **** happens.
Lateral Raise 2 x 7-9
9x6 (COLOR=RoyalBlue]-2kg[/COLOR], +1rep) - 9x6 (COLOR=RoyalBlue]-2kg[/COLOR], +1rep)
Dropped the weight from last week and focused on keeping form really strict here. It hit the lateral delt. Im happy. Just need to work up now. I use a canted forwards angle and slightly internally rotated arm as i do the movement.
Skullcrushers 2 x 7-9
9x22.5 - 8x22.5 (COLOR=RoyalBlue]-1rep[/COLOR])
Pretty grumpy here too. This is my skulz plateau. I slipped a rep here due to being tired from earlier efforts. I simply cannot raise the weights to 27.5kg (which is the smallest increment i can make [from 50lbs to 60.5lbs] and get more than 2-3 reps. I dont know what to do really. My gym dosnt have 1.25kg plates to increment slower with. Gits.
Hammer Curls 2 x 7-9
8x14 - 7x14 (COLOR=RoyalBlue]-1rep[/COLOR])
Slipped here too. Guess all the pulling killed me.

Workout Comments

The workout was strong and positive. All the isolations suffered from me going balls out on the compounds. thats as it should be. Happy with progression. Strength has been on an upwards climb for last 4 weeks now.

Cardio

None.

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2900 (2833)
Fats: 60g (77)
Carb: 435g (379)
Prot: 155g (161)

Meal 1 - ham and cottage cheese sammie, bowl of oats, milk, honey
Meal 2 - red kidney beans and frankfurters
Meal 3 Pre Workout - oats and honey and water
Meal 4 - oats+honey, chicken+brown rice+spinach+olive oil
Meal 5 - pitta bread, soft cheese, roast beef
Meal 6 - N/a

Comments

Too long ago to remember.

Augury
07-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Week 2, Day 5, REST/CARDIO

Cardio

None. Well...rode a motorbike and saw an airshow.

Nutrition/Rest

Cals: 2900 (2668)
Fats: 60g (112)
Carb: 435g (294
Prot: 155g (119)

Meal 1 - suasage and cottage cheese sammie, bowl oats+honey+milk
Meal 2 - Big Pizza
Meal 3 - Big bag Onion Ring crisps (yipeeee)
Meal 4 - n/a
Meal 5 - n/a
Meal 6 - n/a

Comments

This is what happens when you go to an airshow with your mates on sportsbikes and dont take all your food with you.

dissipate
07-27-2004, 06:52 AM
mmmm pizzaaaa.......

Augury
07-27-2004, 11:41 AM
yes. recently there has been far to much "**** it, its a bulk" kind of meals.

I feel like i need to make some changes though. Since going onto higher carbs i feel like my BF is increasing but my weight isnt which means im just aining fat and not muscle. This isnt a good feeling.

Im concidering cutting back on the carbs and upping my fat intake again. Still havent heard back from TwinPeaks so Im not sure if ill be cycling or not on the carbs. Aka seems to have done just fine with no cycling...but then hes also on super high carbs too. Im constantly amazed by how he achieves what he does. I recon hes from another planet.

Im also concidering ditching my strength workouts. Im not entirely sure what they are achieving. 3-5 reps is making me push weights that i dont feel my joints are ready for. Ive had a LOT of aches and sharp pains in my joints since starting this workout.

I wonder if anyone has any opinions?

I fully intend to stick to my upper/lower growth workouts (7-9 reps) as they are working really well. So I can either just repeat them again at the other end of the week and do two upper/lower growth workouts a week, or I can do some other split. Im just feeling that although im moving heavy weights as far as my body goes, im hurting joints. Its nice to be getting "stronger" but i feel like my muscles are actually shrinking of late...which is odd....as all my lifts in both types of workouts are increasing across the board consistently.

Augs

Augury
07-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Well, havent posted in a while. My girlfriends mom just got diagnosed with an advanced cancer and pretty much the world just dropped out from under my girlfriend and her mom (and family). Updating the journal has not been my top priority in the last week or whatever its been since i last posted.

Things havent stopped in training land though and if i get a mo this evening ill do an update to try and catch things up. been sticking to my diet and training even if i havent been updating the journal.