PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete protiens... ???

_8_Ball
07-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Hey everyone,

I got to thinking about this yesterday...

I've heard the term incomplete protien before, I was just wondering if I could get some food examples..

Would Milk qualify?

my skim milk says 8g of protien per cup...

How about the shrimps I'm eating today.. 100g = 20g... Just wondering what constitute a complete protein versus and incomplete one... How is one to know?

thanks,

_8_

thetopdog
07-07-2004, 11:41 AM
any meat or aniamal derived protein (milk/whey included) is complete. I think most or all plant proteins are incomplete and need to be combined with another source of protein to get the full benefit

Holto
07-07-2004, 11:55 AM
incomplete protein is really a myth

the explanation is that it's missing 1 of 8 essential amino acids which is absolutely false

1 cup of romaine has 1/10 of a gram of protein but it has 20 amino acids including the 8 essential amino's

things that are classified as incomplete are usually not a significant source of protein

you would need 20 lbs of romaine to get a good dose of protein

check it out for yourself

www.nutritiondata.com

_8_Ball
07-07-2004, 12:30 PM

the explanation is that it's missing 1 of 8 essential amino acids which is absolutely false

1 cup of romaine has 1/10 of a gram of protein but it has 20 amino acids including the 8 essential amino's

things that are classified as incomplete are usually not a significant source of protein

www.nutritiondata.com

Sounds good to me... :)

It's just something I had been thinking about for a while..

thanks!

_8_

luke77
07-07-2004, 12:47 PM

www.nutritiondata.com

What about foods like beans though? They have a decent amount of protein but I've heard that it's incomplete.

thetopdog
07-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Keep it simple, either eat animal protein with your non-meat protein, or combine 2 types of non-meat protein at every meal and you'll be set

Holto
07-07-2004, 08:00 PM
What about foods like beans though? They have a decent amount of protein but I've heard that it's incomplete.

www.nutritiondata.com

end of story

hemants
07-08-2004, 08:49 AM
No such thing as an incomplete protein. All protein sources have ALL essential amino acids just in differing ratio's. If you get enough protein you will get enough essential AA. Essential AA requirements for an average adult male amount to 6g of protein per day.

Interestingly enough bread contains more essential amino acids per gram of protein than any meat or dairy source. Of course you'd have to do a lot of cardio to burn off all those carbs if all you ate was bread LOL.