PDA

View Full Version : Bulking help please

MegaMuscle
07-07-2004, 02:41 PM
If i wnat to bulk i should consum 2x my bodyweight but what kind of food should i eat for a clean bulk?how much calories? and how many times a day should i eat? and lastly will medication affect bb i take paxcil and trazadone?thanks fo the help in advance :burger:

jazer80
07-07-2004, 09:28 PM
what do you mean by 2X bodyweight? you wanna eat as much food as possible, basically. start around 18K/lb/day, see if you're gaining too much fat or not growing quick enough and tailor from there. as far as paxil, that's anxiety right? my buddy was on that forever and was captain wrest./football and strong as hell, very serious lifter as well

MegaMuscle
07-12-2004, 01:07 PM
i meant 2 g protien per my bodyweight poundage which would be like 200 grams of protein

pruneman
07-12-2004, 02:33 PM
There is no need for that much protein. You only need 1g/lb of bodyweight. You do however need sufficient calories to gain weight. Basic rule for bulking...consume 1g/lb bodyweight of protein, 25-30% of calories from fat, and the rest should be good clean carbs.

jazer80
07-12-2004, 03:35 PM
dunno about that. i know i've read slightly higher than one, and most would rather err over that instead of falling short

Alke
07-12-2004, 03:58 PM
1 gram per pound will do ya fine, most numbers seem to quote around 1.5 per pound which I think is because it is not as easy to track EVERY calorie as it sounds. The more effort can put in when keeping track of your diet thoguh, the better your results will be.

when bulking it is easy to gain weight as long as you take in more calories than you expend, trick is finding the target nnumber of calories, which are different for everyone depending on body type and amount of LBM. formulas work, I advise using them to get a good start.

THEN once you get the number of calories dialed in to gain (or lose) the second part of the equation is to find the correct ratio of calories. more carbs when bulking, less carbs when cutting.....too many carbs when bulking will result in more fat gained than wanted, and too few carbs when cutting will result in more muscle loss than wanted.

always keep protein AT LEAST 1 gram per pound and you cant go wrong though......I usually up my protein on cutting.

and if you planning on a CLEAN bulk, go ahead and eat some processed carbs after a workout once in a while. Those insulen spikes are good for you, and your body will make better use of the spike after a workout than if you ate that plate of pasta or a slice of pizza on a non-workout day.

dont forget about cheat days, good for you unless you fall off the wagon and eat mm's everyday LOL

post some more info on stats and stuff.......and good luck mate,

MegaMuscle
07-13-2004, 03:36 PM
ok got it thanks guys thanks Alke ill try that 1gram per pound.

jazer80
07-13-2004, 05:33 PM
at least. alke, very well stated

MegaMuscle
07-13-2004, 07:06 PM
whats a LBM

jazer80
07-13-2004, 08:37 PM
lean body mass

Augury
07-13-2004, 08:55 PM
for clarification this is how LBM is calculated:

You weight say 200lbs and you have a bodyfat of say 8%
That means that you have 200 x 0.08 = 16lbs of fat.
Which means your LBM = 200 - 16 = 184lbs

When you cut your LBM is supposed to stay the same (but will prolly fall a little) whilst you lose fat mass. your total weight will also most likely fall.

When you bulk your LBM should rise whilst your fat mass stays the same or rises as slow as possible. your total weight will also rise.

Augs

MegaMuscle
07-14-2004, 11:11 AM
ok. i figured i would eat like this.

6:30, 4 eggs
9:00, wheat bread with 1 cup of penut butter,grapes
12:00, two tuna sandwhiches mixed with a little maynaese
workout at or around 3:00
have small helping of speghetti plain cooked
dinner 7:00 chicken breast or chicken of anykind

i should add more food and find out how much protein is in that which i will do.
i know its not 100 thats for sure.

phatmonky
07-14-2004, 01:23 PM
ok. i figured i would eat like this.

6:30, 4 eggs
9:00, wheat bread with 1 cup of penut butter,grapes
12:00, two tuna sandwhiches mixed with a little maynaese
workout at or around 3:00
have small helping of speghetti plain cooked
dinner 7:00 chicken breast or chicken of anykind

i should add more food and find out how much protein is in that which i will do.
i know its not 100 thats for sure.

www.fitday.com to get a rough idea of caloric values

TOBART
07-14-2004, 08:18 PM
I would eat as much as humanly possible after you workout, its the most important meal. Also eat as much as you can before you go to sleep.

1 cup of 2% milk has over 150 calories and 9 grams of protien, consider drinking about 4 cups of that a day to boost your protien intake.

MegaMuscle
07-15-2004, 09:03 AM
ok thanks for the info

jazer80
07-15-2004, 03:05 PM
i'd definitely recommend eating as much as possible after a workout. prefereablly drink an extremely dense shake, as time after a workout is precious, and if you eat you gotta wait for that to breakdown. i have a shake, then anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes later i have a meal. as far as eating as much as possible right before bed, dunno about that. i do eat before bed, but if you have any concern about gaining too much fat you don't want to have a wicked large meal. i usually have a shake w/ milk, egg, whey, soy, and some vitamins. oh remember that whey shakes by themselves at night are far inferior to any of the other proteins i listed in the shake due to overall time of bioavailability

_-_v_-_
07-15-2004, 03:55 PM
There is no difference whatsoever between eating before bed and eating at, say, noon.

Don't worry about it.

Augury
07-15-2004, 05:16 PM
There is fair reason to eat before bed...but I would not suggest "eating as much as you can". When you sleep you end up in a catabolic (muscle eating) state. if you eat some slow digesting protein (say cottage cheese if you are natural or caesin if you supp it up) then it will help stave off the catabolism. Nothing wrong with a few carbs and a little fat either to help keep things slow and steady through the night. I prefer liquid intake at night as i dont blat. Eating a 3 course meal before bed is simply asking for gastro-intestinal problems and a crappy nights sleep.

_-_v_-_
07-15-2004, 05:23 PM
For some, yes.

I merely wanted to remind people of the fact that, simply because one is eating before bed, one need not avoid carbs.

Augury
07-15-2004, 05:28 PM
agreed. a shake with carbs, fat and protein in it is a good plan before bed IMHO.

Augs

MegaMuscle
07-17-2004, 07:01 PM
you still have to consume carbs or muscle fiber goes down though right?as in you lose muscle.You say liquid intake you mean a protein shake right,is Nitrotech a good whey protein to be taking after workouts or before bed?
I alwasy have trouble sleeping too it drives me insane to not be able to sleep sometimes?

also i weigh about 100 pounds so how much carbs,protein,and calories should i be consuming per day?

yes i do know that carbohydrates turn to sugar then to fats.

jazer80
07-18-2004, 09:04 AM
nitrotech is very expensive, definitely not signifiantly better than any whey, and remmber you don't want whey before bed (not as the primary protein anyways) because it is a very fast acting protien. this is why it is a good protein for after a workout (and even before)

Augury
07-18-2004, 10:38 AM
you still have to consume carbs or muscle fiber goes down though right?as in you lose muscle.You say liquid intake you mean a protein shake right,is Nitrotech a good whey protein to be taking after workouts or before bed?
I alwasy have trouble sleeping too it drives me insane to not be able to sleep sometimes?
also i weigh about 100 pounds so how much carbs,protein,and calories should i be consuming per day?
yes i do know that carbohydrates turn to sugar then to fats.

At night as you fast (dont eat) you slowly use up your liver glycogen. Your body turns slowly catabolic and muscle breakdown occurs. How bad this is I dont know...to be honest I really wouldnt worry too much about it. For millions of years the human race has been going to sleep and its rare you hear anyone wake up and say "whoa...where the F*CK has all my muscle gone???". However when you are a bodybuilder muslce is precious and also the more muscle you have the more your body wants to get rid of it. Muscle is a dead weight around the neck of your energy balance. It is very "expensive" for your body to keep and maintain all the muscle that bodybuilders have...and so if your body can get rid of a bit of it it will.

So at night as you go catabolic due to going for what...8-10 hours without food you will start to use up a bit of muscle. This can be avoided via a couple of simple things. Get some slow releasing protein in you. No need to buy some epensive supliment here. Just eat some cottage cheese its packed full of caesin and also takes longer to digest than caesin becasue it enters your tummy as a whole food. Also have a bit of carbs....say a tiny bowl of oats and just a bit of fat. So what i often do is eat half a cup of cottage cheese and then have a 1/3 cup of rolled oats (compared to 1.5 cups for breakfast), with some semi skim milk and desert spoon of peanut butter mixed in. P+C+F but all in small quantities. The fat will slowl everything down and the net result of all this should be remaining anabolic a lot longer than you would have. Whetere it nakes a jot of difference in the longrun? I really cant say. Better than doing nothing though, thats the way I think.

Augs

MegaMuscle
07-19-2004, 11:13 AM
cool thanks Augury and everybody for your help