PDA

View Full Version : 120 cal burn x4 a week enough?

BlingMeter
07-07-2004, 08:09 PM
i need to loose 1" on the belly, and 1 " on both sides of my belly. average 40hr week joe. breakfast conssists of xtra pulp orange juice x2, white hen roast beef sandwhich, or once a month or twice mc d's, lunch white hen, roast beed sand, pepsi, maybe something else. other times mc d's to. 1/4lb'er, big mac, dbl cheese usual intake at a lunch when we do. protein 2 times a day. now to the point, woulnd running on the tread mill at 6.5mph for 12min straight 4 times a week help me loose this 1" annoying hassle? its summer and this 1" (haha so tiny) has to go, but no muscle loss. thanks

the tread mill says 120 cals burned so thats when i stop

Vido
07-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Why do you stop at 120 calories burned?

To answer the question, no, burning an extra 480 calories/week is not going to make you lose an inch off your waist...in fact, it will do very little at all.

dxiw
07-07-2004, 10:32 PM
doesn't really matter what you eat just how much.. if you want to lose that inch and not lose muscle do this:

1) eat your diet at 500cals below maintenance
2) avoid eating high carbs and fat in the same meal
3) eat 1 gram per pound of bodyweight in protein
4) burn 200 calories 4 times a week

1" is probably around 3-5lb. with diet at 500cals below maintenance and the cardio you should be around 4300 cals in deficit every week. 3 weeks to a month you should have lost about an inch..

thats just basic guidelines.. if you want a strict cutting diet to burn serious fat and keep muscle (which is a lot harder to follow than that)..I can help u but i think those lifestyle modifications may help a lot already. Also, get some green tea extract and try to get 400-500mg of polyphenols a day. That should accelerate fatloss a bit

HobbesAB
07-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Its hard to predict what 1" will be in terms of pounds of fat lost.

Abdominal fat is usually the last to go so if you have a lot of fat elsewhere (back, legs, arms), then you're likely to lose there first before your stomach.

BlingMeter
07-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Its hard to predict what 1" will be in terms of pounds of fat lost.

Abdominal fat is usually the last to go so if you have a lot of fat elsewhere (back, legs, arms), then you're likely to lose there first before your stomach.

haha arms rock solid, chest, back, legs, etc all rock solid, just got a tiny bit of annoyance on the bottom. ill run for 200 cal burns this time. cut back on little bit of crap and see how things go. thanks

Ironman_1964
07-08-2004, 04:59 PM
You can not spot reduce fat. I would recommend increasing your cardio from 12 minutes to a minimum of 20 minutes 3 to 4 times a week.

SpecialK
07-09-2004, 08:32 AM
I read that the calories you burn during the actual exercise are insignificant compared to the extra ones you burn as a result of the elevated metabolic state your body is in during the hours after cardio. So instead of counting the ones you burn during exercise, just go 16-20 min. at as high of an intensity as you can maintain for that time, and do that a few times per week. This is called max-ot cardio, BTW. If you do a search on the forums for it you can probably find some threads on it. Or you could go to www.ast-ss.com and click on the link at the top that says max-ot.

Vido
07-09-2004, 05:17 PM
I read that the calories you burn during the actual exercise are insignificant compared to the extra ones you burn as a result of the elevated metabolic state your body is in during the hours after cardio

This is only the case if the cardio is high intensity. SpecialK, you seem to be aware of this, just making sure everyone else is on the same page.

BlingMeter
08-18-2004, 08:01 PM
well i have been doing the 200cal x4 a week. one week on one week off cause i got lazy, but now im back on it. does it matter if i go 4mph until i reach 200 cals or do i have to have a minimum setting like 6.5mph the whole way or something?
today i went 7mph for 5 min. walked at 4.3mph for about 5. then ran 8.5 for couple min, rested for 2 min at 4.3mph and ran the rest at 7mph. or is this wasting my time?

Ğragons
08-19-2004, 09:29 AM
not really very much is it

Vido
08-19-2004, 06:32 PM
well i have been doing the 200cal x4 a week. one week on one week off cause i got lazy, but now im back on it. does it matter if i go 4mph until i reach 200 cals or do i have to have a minimum setting like 6.5mph the whole way or something?
today i went 7mph for 5 min. walked at 4.3mph for about 5. then ran 8.5 for couple min, rested for 2 min at 4.3mph and ran the rest at 7mph. or is this wasting my time?

200 calories is 200 calories, provided the calorie counter on the machine you're using is accurate. The only difference lies in the fact that you continue burning calories AFTER you finish the exercise if the exercise is at a higher intensity.

Regardless, like Dragons' mentioned, 200 calories is really not very much. Assuming you're doing the cardio for body composition purposes (and not for general health) that's really an insignificant amount.

BlingMeter
08-19-2004, 08:42 PM
well im tryin to cut back on body fat (little pudge on bottom of belly), only place i have fat.. and ill be bulkin soon so i wanna keep as much fat away as possible. if 200 is wasting my time then i dunno wtf i am gonna do cause running for 20min is a pain in the ass :cry:

Vido
08-19-2004, 09:52 PM
You should be burning more calories than that in a 20 minute session. Then again, unless you're doing sprints, 20 minutes is quite a short amount of time to be doing cardio for.

Feminator
08-23-2004, 06:56 AM
If you don't want to do the cardio you can achieve the same effect by eating less to produce the same deficit. I find that the fat I lose is proportional to what I eat, no matter what exercise I do. The difference between 2000 and 4000 calories a day is much greater than no exercise and half an hour's running.