PDA

View Full Version : nutrition while working + budget

dissipate
07-08-2004, 07:26 AM
i'm about to start a 9 to 6 job soon and am on a tight budget so i don't have money to spend on meal replacement drinks. i'm wondering how to plan my meals though, because i'm not sure yet whether eating even though it's not lunch hour is acceptable, and if it is, how to pack a gigantic amount of food to work.

imagine a gigantic plastic container with 4 slices of bread, PB, lettuce, tomatoes and boiled chicken breast hehe. plus soya milk. everyday.

!!!

:help:

Aspect
07-08-2004, 08:43 AM
It all depends on whether you are allowed to eat outside of lunch, and what facilities you have (e.g. a fridge etc.) If there's a fridge, then you could improvise a drink by mixing skimmed milk powder with milk; an easy and cheap way to get in a few hundred calories in a short break (at a push you could grab it on the way to the toilet and down it; might get some funny looks though).

Assuming you can eat or drink during breaks, you should be OK - eat a decent breakfast before work, then either have your lunch relatively early then something mid-afternoon, or have something late morning and a late lunch. Eat as soon as you get back from work (or the minute you walk out the door), with a final meal before bed.

If your work are even more relaxed you may be able to eat regularly through the day. Most offices are fine with you eating at your desk so you can have snacks whenever; a factory or construction job would make it more difficult. But as long as you eat well just before and after work, and can manage two feeds at work (e.g. at 12 and 3), you should be fine.

BIG C
07-08-2004, 09:47 AM
I work for a chemical plant. I usually bring protein(for shakes), cans of tuna, chicken/ wheat pasta in containers and just grab a quick bite every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I do have a fridge to keep them in.

I don't have any problems here eating when I want and a few chicken breast/ wheat pasta/ tuna prepared before work is pretty cheap.

Good luck on your new job! :thumbup:

dissipate
07-09-2004, 05:28 AM
thanks aspect and big c!! i don't know what i'd do if this forum didn't exist!!!