PDA

View Full Version : GPP Training

Maki Riddington
07-08-2004, 07:18 PM
For those of you that employ this method every so often or into particular phases of your training cycles, what types of movements or exercises do you use?

Here's what I've done.

Plates tosses
Plate drags
Farmers walks with weight plates
Medicine ball throws
Taking all the dumbbells off the dumbbell rack and placing them back on
Backawards uphill wind sprints with a 45 pound plate
Loading and unloading all the 45 pound plates in the gym onto the leg press or squat bar

I'd like to hear some of the creative ideas you guys/gals use.

Augury
07-08-2004, 08:11 PM
i tidy the gym. most people dont seem capable of putting weights back where i train. i just see it as a little functional workout. and im less likely to trip on a plate and bust my head open.

oh and i actually "arrange" all the dumbells in weight order when i am bored. people dont seem to be able to grasp the concept of not putting the 10kg bells next to the 30kg bells etc.

Anthony
07-09-2004, 05:06 AM
My current GPP routine looks like this:

squat thrusts/burpees
tire jumps
forward sled drag (it's actually a tire loaded with sand bags)
backward sled drag
sand bag walk (pick up a 60lb sand bag any way you want and walk around)
sand bag throws (toss a 25lb bag around)
sledgehammer VS tire

tony touch
07-09-2004, 09:00 PM
in high school, me and my buddy used to push his station wagon around the parking lot for hours to get ready for football season....talk about leg endurance and explosion.

we also used to fill those huge poland spring water kegs with sand and rocks and do farmer's walk around the track for distance...now that was pain.

Songsangnim
07-09-2004, 11:38 PM
static holds.

pinch grip.

BigRic
07-10-2004, 12:05 AM
What does gpp stand for?

meltedtime
07-10-2004, 07:18 AM
general physical preparedness

melt

Jezmason
07-10-2004, 07:46 AM
I sometimes hit the punchbag while holding a light dumbell on my shoulder day, dunno if it counts but it hurts and feels good!

ryuage
07-10-2004, 01:52 PM
you hit a punching bag while holding a dumbbell? you might hurt yourself doing that one :\ I dunno never tried it though.

Jezmason
07-11-2004, 02:06 PM
It's not bad, it can hurt a bit but i usually hold the dumbell with a flannel or small towel to lessen the pain when i make contact, which ever i take to the gym to wipe down with. S'all good.