PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Initial Push

Chubrock
07-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Alright, my 1 rep max is 175lbs on benchpress. I thought at first that my weakest part of the lift was towards the end, so I began doing rack lockouts to strengthen my tris. At this time I am using 165lbs for 10 reps during the rack lockouts. I don't really think that my triceps may be the problem and now I'm beginning to think it could be my initial push. What I need are some suggestions for some lifts to boost my initial push.

Anthony
07-09-2004, 11:25 AM
First, build up to more than your 1RM for lockouts and keep the reps low (1-3). Second, if you fail with the bar on your chest, it's too heavy.

Lots you can do to help your lift, though. Work your lats. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and keep them that way for the entire lift, keep your lats tight and control the descent of the weight (you may find your descent becomes slower), and keep your elbows tucked. I've found this gives me a light of strength at the bottom, almost like a spring waiting to pop.

Also consider some speed work where you do 6-8 sets of 3 reps at 50-70% of your 1RM as fast as you can. I started using an extended pause at the bottom of my speed sets and I feel this will help me.

BIG C
07-09-2004, 12:33 PM
If you have a workout partner or spotter you could try partial reps (from chest to half way up) for reps.

Do light enough for 6-8 reps for 3 sets.

strike613
07-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Board Presses!

Chubrock
07-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Can somebody please explain to me what these board presses are?

shredder
07-10-2004, 10:34 PM
if i were id work on getting my military presses as strong as i can, because i know when i did my bench got a hell of alot stronger. i was weak on the bottom like u but when i worked on my military presses that sure wasnt a problem anymore. goodluck.

Anthony
07-11-2004, 07:12 AM
This is a board press, but they are used for lockout strength: http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/exdetails.asp?exid=53

Scott S
07-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Could just working the lower part of the ROM help?

My thinking that if it's his pecs that are failing, all the extra tricep work from lockouts won't really do much.

Chubrock
07-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Anthony, do ya have any more tips you could give me?