PDA

View Full Version : Trying to replace dairy in diet

thinkdq
07-10-2004, 05:07 PM
could anyone give some suggestions on replacements for dairy. i usually have a cup of diet yogurt and half a cup of cottage cheese each day. i'm looking for something that takes very little prep time.

thanks for the help in advance.

Max-Mex
07-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Why are you trying to replace, if I may ask?

thinkdq
07-10-2004, 10:48 PM
i'm finding that i am mildly lactose intolerant and the fact that i just don't want to ingest dairy on a regular basis anymore.

Max-Mex
07-11-2004, 03:48 AM
In that case, eggs. You could also try some lactose free milk or lactose free diary. Most grocery stores have products like that. If you can't find the stuff there, try health food stores.

thinkdq
07-11-2004, 11:28 AM
i really want to stop taking in dairy of any kind with or without lactose.

thinkdq
07-11-2004, 11:31 AM
and eggs are a great subsitute but i already have 8 egg whites in my diet. i don't want to have anymore in there.

any other suggestions?

Max-Mex
07-11-2004, 11:48 AM
beef, chicken, tuna, egg based protien powders. Be sure your getting enough calcium if you totally drop dairy products (calcium vitamin or multivitamin).

raniali
07-11-2004, 04:53 PM
if you are looking for low-carb, low-fat, high-protein substitutes.... your best bet is a can of tuna with a few crackers, protein shake or a piece of meat (although raw would require the least preparation as you desire).

Scott S
07-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Do you have objections to dairy products other than lactose (which is easily controlled with Lact-Aid)?

Vido
07-11-2004, 06:39 PM
I don't understand while people suggest Lactaid when it's far easier (and more importantly, cheaper) to just go ahead and replace the dairy products.

Scott S
07-11-2004, 06:45 PM
And I don't understand people who take offense to simple questions.

Vido
07-11-2004, 06:52 PM
I'm not taking offense to it. I just don't see how it's a logical suggestion, unless he REALLY likes dairy products and can't imagine living life without them (which it doesn't sound like). If you choose to keep the dairy, you have to buy the food + the pills. If you just replace it, you only have to buy the food...seems like an obvious choice to me.

I can't remember how much Lactaid pills are, but if I remember correctly they're not overly cheap. Just makes more sense to me to either save money overall, or be able to take that extra money and buy more food.

Manveet
07-12-2004, 12:26 PM
But what about calcium? What other foods contain such high amounts? If he drops dairy, he might have to supplement with calcium tabs. Or, he might have to buy more of some other food that contains calcium. Either way you look at it, he's going to have to spend a little extra money.

Vido
07-12-2004, 05:25 PM
There are other whole foods that have calcium in them. Can't name them off the top of my head, but I know they exist.

As for calcium pills, they are A LOT cheaper than lactaid pills.

thinkdq
07-12-2004, 05:35 PM
truth be told i personally believe that i shouldn't be ingesting the dairy because it's not ment for me. it's meant for calfs.

i also believe if my body is reacting to it. i should stop taking it.....my body doesn't want it.

i don't believe it taking drugs to allow myself to take something a naturally shouldn't.

i realize the other option is to eat beef, chicken, tuna (i want to limit my tuna intake to 1-2 times per week), or protein shakes, but that isn't as economical as yogurt and cottage cheese.

i also don't want to subsitute in soy products.

any vegetarians around? what's an easy option that doesn't cost much?

Scott S
07-12-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm sure most green leafy vegetables have a good amount of calcium in them. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/milk/whycal/vegetables.cfm

The potassium and the handful of B vitamins offered by milk could also easily be made up from other sources. Perhaps it's just my bias toward milk that makes me curious why the OP would give it up, other than being "mildly lactose intolerant."

TheGimp
07-13-2004, 04:42 AM
Perhaps almonds. Obviously easy to "prepare" and a reasonable source of calcium, but a lot more calorie dense than (low fat) yoghurt and cottage cheese. Note that dairy calcium is not easily absorbed.

I'm a vegetarian and I can say that if you're ruling out soy then there's not a lot left. There's a wealth of soy dairy replacements out there. Meat substitutes are generally just as expensive as the real thing and often made with things like eggs, milk protein and soy.

Schweinhund
07-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Try Soy.

Over the course of the last 2 months, I have eliminated all Dairy, and Animal products from my diet.

I replaced my Meat intake with Soy as well, and I'll tell you right now - I feel better than I've ever felt in my life. I know some Vegetarians claim that you shouldn't eat processed soy - but I happen to like it.

Soy milk looks fairly comparable nutritionally, and the Vanilla flavored "Silk Soy Milk" is AWESOME tasting! I made a chart comparing Soy milk to a local brand of milk here in Florida, and I attached it.

I also use a Soy Protein Powder that is really good.

Here's a link to Bobby Rock's site (He was in the drummer in the metal band Nitro, as well as Vinnie Vincent Invasion, and went for the big bucks in Nelson. He has some info about Vegetarian Body Building (he's been one for over 10 years now.)

http://www.bobbyrock.com/veggiezone.html

I'm not into the whole *Animal Rights* thing - "Sorry Cows! I'm a metalhead and I'm not giving up the Leather!"
I just wanted to try something different, and Strict Vegetarianism is working for me. It's kind of like a purification process.

Hell, it allowed me to finally completely quit smoking after 18 years - something I could not do as a meat eater.

Tim