PDA

View Full Version : Shin Pain While Doing Cardio...

GulfVet91
07-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Hey guys
I have been doing some cardio for the past few months now. I have my diet and weight training on track so I wanted to add the cardio since I still have a high bf% (I had a series of operations that messed with my training)
My cardio right now consists of a 30-40 minute session on the treadmill. I walk at a fast pace for 4 minutes (3.5-4.0 mph) and run for 1 minute (7.0-7.5 mph) and then repeat the cycle for the 30-40 minutes. My problem is in my shins - mainly the upper ankle area. While walking it is fine, but I get some severe pain while running. I do all the proper stretching before starting, but it doesnt seem to help. I've done alot of running in my time (being ex-military), but I've never felt this before. My thoughts are shin splints, but I'm not sure. All I need is to go to the doctor and find out that I need to stop training for awhile. Any advice guys?

IronandBlood
07-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Hey Gulfvet91! I had shin splints once before sounds like you might have the same. My solution came when I was told by a physical theropist to try fast walking while keeping a strict heel to toe walk. Many of us run and hardly hit our heels which causes pressure on the lower shin. But nothing beats a good doctors opinion. Train til it hurts!