PDA

View Full Version : How do you eat your oats?

Growth
07-12-2004, 12:06 AM
Obviously oats are an excellent source of complex carbs, but how do YOU eat them? i thought the general way was like it says on the packet, put some in a pot, at some milk, water a bit of salt and you heat them till it thickens into that gruel type $hit. Is this how its usually done? Cause ive been scanning the board and finding peeps are mixing in butter, olive oils, things like that. Are you guys just taking the dry oats and mixing that stuff in to make it eadible or what?

buffzilla
07-12-2004, 12:12 AM
I blend a cup of raw oats with my protein shake

vkefi
07-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Oats in my drinks make me gag ;/

Porridge every morning at ..

1 cup of oats, 1.5 cups of hot water, hit it on the stove and stir for a minute or so and yep, gruel type **** ;)

Touch of milk on top to help cool and eat it straight up.

----------------------------------------------------
5'10
184 lb
status - bulking
----------------------------------------------------

galileo
07-12-2004, 06:29 AM
1. Raw rinsing down with water.
2. Cooked lightly with a little low-carb milk and cinammon.
3. Cooked lightly with frozen berries.

Davy
07-12-2004, 06:37 AM
1 cup oats with 2 cups skim milk and coock it in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes , plain like this is how i learned to eat it

ryuage
07-12-2004, 06:59 AM
cooked with water
cooked with water and some splenda
cooked with water, splenda, and unsweetened cocoa
cooked with water and a scoop of protein
cooked with water and some natty pb
cooked with water, natty pb, and a scoop of protein
point being

endless possibilities use your imagination

Augury
07-12-2004, 08:43 AM
I never cook my oats.

I eat 2 cups of raw oats for breakfast every day. Add 1tsp of honey (for glucose), 1teaspoon of natty pb for a little fat to lower absobtion rate, a little cinnamon, half a cup of semi skimmed and water to make it slightly runny.

If i have got whey around i also put in a scoop of that too

yum yum.

geoffgarcia
07-12-2004, 09:16 AM
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tbsp wheat germ
1 cup hot water
1 tbsp honey

Augury
07-12-2004, 12:55 PM
yo Geoff. You vanished for a while. Now you are back :0 Where did you go? nice holiday or something?

Ive missed not having you around to disagree with lol or simply get bucketloads of information from :)

What is the difference between rolled oats and steel cut oats? is there an actual nutritional difference and thus a possible glycemic index difference?

Also...if you are bored im curious to know if in your internet travels you have ever come across a site that says what types of carbs (fructose, glucose, sucrose blah blah) are in different carbohydrate foods.

im trying to put together the carb side of my diet and im finding out that not knowing what sugars are in what carbs is making it hard. eg i only just found out honey has a lot of glucose in it and thus is great as a post workout carb drink dissolved in water. that kinda thing.

Oh crap....i just hijacked a thread (sorry Growth - its semi relevant i guess). Erm...if you wanna reply elsewhere lemme know. if you even see this :)

Augs

Growth
07-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Me also interested in the steel cut oaties, and does cooking them over having them raw have any nutritional advantages?

Augury
07-12-2004, 02:59 PM
i was almost in shock when i read galileo eats his raw oats.....dry... and rinses them down with water. thats scary. perhaps he had been bad that day and was punishing himself?

Jezmason
07-12-2004, 04:40 PM
skimmed milk heated to porridge with either a little natural honey or diabetic syrup, blended in my protein shake or just with whey shake mixed in, all r pretty good.

Trent_Steel
07-13-2004, 11:39 AM
I have 100g of oats with a bit of bran mixed in it. I mix that with a pint of milk and 2 scoops of milk & egg protein. I dont blend or cook it just mix it with a big spoon.