PDA

View Full Version : salads

body
07-12-2004, 04:00 AM
As some of you may be aware i work in the food industry.
I have been briefed to come up with a salad with a target consumer of gym going people.

What would you like to see in a salad that is suitable for you guys and girls to eat.

attica
07-12-2004, 05:26 AM
Lots of spinach, not so much iceberg - romaine, mesclin, and cress are good too.

Primary veggies:
cukes
tomatoes
shrooms
carrots
celery
sprouts (alfalfa)
chickpeas
peas
broccoli
cauliflower

Secondary veggies (stuff I like, but others might not):
radishes
onions
avocado
green peppers
hot peppers (usu. banana)

Non-veggies:
tuna
chicken breast
hard boiled eggs

Other miscellaneous stuff I like to put in my salad that salad bars rarely/never have:

craisins (dried cranberries)
walnuts
almonds

Oil (olive) and vinegar.

hth.

Max-Mex
07-12-2004, 06:25 AM
I love Spring Mix salads. Romaine or any green leafy lettuce is good. Onions, boiled eggs, green peppers, shredded carrots. As far as meats go, chicken, turkey or lean beef. Dressings: olive oil and/or vinegar.

Augury
07-12-2004, 09:19 AM
yeah. if there is going to be a dressing please dont use vegtable oil. extra virgin olive please.

the more leutice is in a salad the less i am likely to buy it simply because its a 0 cal filler and i feel ripped off.

nuts are good in salads. cashew.

If you can design a salad that contains basically enough "leaf" to fill you, enough protein (nuts, perhaps tuna, or any other protein bearing objects) and some oil for actual calories then educated gym goers will buy it.

hell, if i got 20g protein, 20g fat and felt full after on a salad id be happy as ya know it. very handy for going "out" with.

geoffgarcia
07-12-2004, 09:24 AM
As some of you may be aware i work in the food industry.
I have been briefed to come up with a salad with a target consumer of gym going people.

What would you like to see in a salad that is suitable for you guys and girls to eat.where would a person get this salad? is it a supermarket "baggie" typa salad mix? or a fast food salad for a person on the go? or something different?

body
07-12-2004, 11:17 AM
where would a person get this salad? is it a supermarket "baggie" typa salad mix? or a fast food salad for a person on the go? or something different?

supermarket. be a salad as in a salad meal. Pre-packed fast food style. but you can take with you to eat.

Anthony
07-12-2004, 11:38 AM
How about a steak and potato salad? :D