PDA

View Full Version : Consequences of one day in calorie deficit??

Mikael
07-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Just curious, as this has happened to me quite a few times over the months...

Sometimes I just can't avoid those days, for instance if I'm travelling, if I'm short of money, or have poorly planned the day. I'm asking now because it happened yesterday, and I feel all weak and soft...

What happens? Do you lose some muscle, lose some fat, or nothing important? Would you have to "catch up" by eating more than normally the following day?

Any insight appreciated...

Don Birnam
07-12-2004, 10:15 AM
I would like a good answer to this question, not just "nothing". Yesterday I probably ate about 1300 calories, and went a stretch of about 12 hours where I only consumed a hot chocolate w/ whipped cream and a glass of milk. So what's the effect of that??

geoffgarcia
07-12-2004, 10:18 AM
depends on how big the fluctuation is

galileo
07-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Don't forget cancer!

But seriously, people go in a single day deficit all of the time. It's the premise of a lot of cutting plans, which are quite successful. Don't worry about it.

Manveet
07-12-2004, 12:23 PM
It really isn't going to be a huge deal if it's for one day.

Shao-LiN
07-12-2004, 01:42 PM
It's one day....if you want a number, maybe you'll lose 0.005059324% of lean body mass.

(Yes, that's a made up number)

Don Birnam
07-12-2004, 02:47 PM
It's one day....if you want a number, maybe you'll lose 0.005059324% of lean body mass.

(Yes, that's a made up number)

Yah but that's probably the same amount of LBM you gain through a disciplined week of working out and eating... I guess the real question is how much does it set you back? 1 week's worth? or more? Your next workout might be a joke if your body's stores are depleted...

ryuage
07-12-2004, 02:54 PM
laff ....

Vido
07-12-2004, 05:12 PM
I'd say nothing would happen. You should look at caloric totals over a longer period, such as a weekly basis as opposed to a daily one. Say you eat 1000 cals one day and you're supposed to be eating 3000/day, then you have plenty of options to make up for it (eat an extra 2000 cals the following day, eat an extra 1000 cals each of the following days, etc.).

Now, if those 1000 calories came from beer...then you might have a problem.

galileo
07-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Yah but that's probably the same amount of LBM you gain through a disciplined week of working out and eating... I guess the real question is how much does it set you back? 1 week's worth? or more? Your next workout might be a joke if your body's stores are depleted...

I hope you're not serious.

Don Birnam
07-12-2004, 05:47 PM
I was serious.

WillKuenzel
07-12-2004, 05:54 PM
I'd say nothing would happen. You should look at caloric totals over a longer period, such as a weekly basis as opposed to a daily one.
Right and the next day's workout might not be that adversly affected if your pre-workout meal is adequate. Just because you don't get enough to eat in one day doesn't mean your body is all of the sudden going to go into starvation mode and resort to cannibalizing all the muscle you have. It takes weeks to see any real kind of detrimental effect.

Look at UD2.0. In there you go for 3 days straight on half your maintanence calories. Granted other things have to be in order but you can lose just body fat and hardly any LBM that way.

If you really want to know, tally your calories at the end of the week. That'll give you a better grasp of whether or not that one day hurt you.

Augury
07-12-2004, 07:48 PM
if your maintenance is 2500 cals and you only eat 1300 on a certain day, then your apetite will be ramped up naturally by your body. over the next 2 days you will probably find you eat about 2800 or so per day. you will mostly make up for the loss.

as someone said...check the weekly total. it wont be down half as far as you think.

Holto
07-12-2004, 08:53 PM
if we look at clinical data re: weight loss

the only time you lose LBM is after significant fat loss in a given period of time

this is why we recommend losing a lb/week because you don't lose any muscle

we store thousands of calories as glycogen to help us on days when we consume less cals

not to mention the abundance of energy a single lb of fat yields

I can guarantee you didn't lose LBM

and people who lift store alot more glycogen than sedentary folks

dxiw
07-12-2004, 09:19 PM
it may seem like it set you a week back but it really didnt, the reason you look and feel like **** is other things like water retention and emotional feeling bad, but really your LBM and fat has stayed about the same..

migs
07-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Hahaha

I stopped eating for 3 weeks :D
Med school is a bitch !! Too much tension and anxiety.

Needless to say I have lost a great deal of muscle as well as fat...wasnt really worth it in the end I still got f***** in the exams :(

Saint Patrick
07-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Right and the next day's workout might not be that adversly affected if your pre-workout meal is adequate. Just because you don't get enough to eat in one day doesn't mean your body is all of the sudden going to go into starvation mode and resort to cannibalizing all the muscle you have. It takes weeks to see any real kind of detrimental effect.

Look at UD2.0. In there you go for 3 days straight on half your maintanence calories. Granted other things have to be in order but you can lose just body fat and hardly any LBM that way.

If you really want to know, tally your calories at the end of the week. That'll give you a better grasp of whether or not that one day hurt you.

Amen, Brother.

jimmyD
07-13-2004, 06:42 AM
i was weighing around 276 and went on a 1800 cal a day cut. being fat all my life and now getting to 246 (hit 242 till i went on vacation). I really felt better ,never feeling down, and when i now flex i am starting to see a size increase in my arms . I didnt lift at all i just did cardio. maybe its due to seeing the definition instead of the fat layer. Im sure somewhere in there i lost some lean muscle mass but i was and still am willing to lose it untill my cut is around 200lbs. then i will begin to build.
To answer your question...... Im postive you have not effected your LBM .Im not a doctor but with my body I really never seen where my legs or my arms got any smaller.

AllUp
07-15-2004, 01:47 PM
I'd say nothing would happen. You should look at caloric totals over a longer period, such as a weekly basis as opposed to a daily one.
Exactly. Weekly cal counts and comparison Pwnz

Augury
07-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Guilt weighs 1 lb.