PDA

View Full Version : Keto experts, over here

Sinep
07-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi, I've been on keto for a few weeks and it isn't going so well so far. I've done keto before and had quite a bit of success with it but this time I am having alot of problems staying in ketosis. First off, my fat intake is at least 70% of my calories and my total calories intake is around 2600-2800. I know that I don't take more than 0-5g of carbs a day. But then I piss on the ketostrips and I am in and out of keto all the time. In the morning partcularly I'll be out of ketosis. So what do you think could be causing that?

Jasonl
07-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Do you take a whey shake by itself? I know that can shift you out of ketosis.

Sinep
07-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Whey shake? No, actually right now I'm trying to narrow the problem down so I stick with food I've had experience which is sausages and chicken. Fat intake comes from mayo (no carbs) and olive oil.

MaDmaN2
07-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Do not rely on Ketostix..It's possible there are no ketones in your urine becauseyou have burned them up....I never use them, too unreliable...

Sinep
07-12-2004, 01:26 PM
That would make sense since after 8 hours of sleep I usually am pretty damn hungry.

Shao-LiN
07-12-2004, 01:40 PM
If you're losing weight, then shouldn't be a problem.

jimmyD
07-13-2004, 06:48 AM
where can i get some info on how and what to eat to go into keto?

Paul Stagg
07-13-2004, 07:24 AM
If you've been eating 70% fat and 30% protein with almost no carbs for more than 2 days, I'd bet you are in ketosis.

Jimmy - why do you think you want to use a keto diet?

buffzilla
07-13-2004, 04:27 PM
First off, my fat intake is at least 70% of my calories and my total calories
Do you like drink oil or somthing?

raniali
07-13-2004, 05:40 PM
the fact that you have been successful before with keto and that the keto strips are negative now is testament to the fact that our bodies are pretty freaking amazing. i found that i wouldn't test positive on keto strips after the first few weeks of keto myself. your body acclimates to the changes and has learned not to 'waste' anything (ketones). i am sure you KNOW when you are in keto and when you aren't just from minor physiological changes. at least i did. and even if the keto strips were negative for me, my urine still had the tell-tale keto smell. probably too much info - but whatever.

jimmyD
07-13-2004, 08:42 PM
just want to lose some weight. Im around 245lbs now and i am very fat.Id say in the 30%fat range. Im sick of it and i am not gonna lose only 1 pound a week so i can be skinnier in less than 5 years. I dont care about losing any muscle at this time. actually my doctor wants me to not gain any muscle due to my diabeties. but after i get off this medicine (due to being so fat all my life) i will be able to eat what i need to gain the muscle. I did a modified keto diet once and lost alot of weight. At that time i had short term goals so after they were met i gained it all back very fast. I have some short and long term goals this time -one that includes seeing my abs-(main one is to get off this medicine im on which includes losing alot of body fat!)--

Paul Stagg
07-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Check with your doc to make sure keto is the way to go if you are diabetic.

I always suggest you buy Lyle McDonald's book - 'The Ketogenic Diet'. There may be a link around here somewhere to get to his online store (in Hulk's sig?). I know you can get an e-book version, so you don't have to wait for it to be shipped.

Lyle explains how everything works, and how to set up your training and diet for a number of variations of the diet.

jimmyD
07-14-2004, 06:24 PM
The only probs i have found with doctors is they dont like any of the "fad type" diets. If its not what a dietician says it isnt good. Go and tell your doctor you take protein shakes --he will flip and say thats stupid and there is no reason to "waste " your money. I even one time mentioned creatine ...... that was the end of that subject. what i have found is try to find what works for the individual. and im just trying different new stuff to see what works best for me.

Jasonl
07-14-2004, 07:22 PM
The only probs i have found with doctors is they dont like any of the "fad type" diets. If its not what a dietician says it isnt good. Go and tell your doctor you take protein shakes --he will flip and say thats stupid and there is no reason to "waste " your money. I even one time mentioned creatine ...... that was the end of that subject. what i have found is try to find what works for the individual. and im just trying different new stuff to see what works best for me.
Lyle's books do not contain "fad type" diets. Just buy one and you will see.

Jezmason
07-15-2004, 08:39 AM
My doctor doesnt even know what creatine is.

harryhoudini66
07-15-2004, 09:19 AM
Drinking alot of soda or sugar alcohol carbs?

AllUp
07-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Ketostix arent too effective after a while. You can do the most insane depletion style WO coupled w/HIIT, be low on carbs (15-40), drinking crazy water and not taking in any sugar alcohol carbs or citrus, yet it will still show negative. For me they tend to work after a week and a half at maintenence and they usually become less accurate week by week to the point where it only shows me in ketosis on my last lowcarb day before the carbload.

Just a PN, I find I am in ketosis more during the weeks when I'm doing more HIIT/Cardio opposed to DepletionWO/HIIT, but that is most likely because i'm weird. :D

Also protein shakes/low carb MRP's kick me out of ketosis sometimes so I opt for solid foods if possible.

AllUp
07-15-2004, 10:20 AM
My doctor doesnt even know what creatine is.
atleast he wasnt saying it was dangerous like some uneducated docs out there...

<<Insert image of doctor from a TV commercial here>>
"Creatine is bad and will put you in a casket"