Protein (g) 9
Carbohydrate (g) 20
Cholesterol (mg) 0
Sodium (mg) 2
Folate (mcg) 179
Iron (mg) 3.3
Manganese (mg) 0.5
Phosphorus (mg) 178

Good stats if you ask me. I was wondering have you guys tried them as a substitute for rice or pasta?
Doesn't taste all that great but Im sticking with them for a while to see if I can get use to them.
18g of protein in one cup, does anyone know how good quality this protein is?

TheGimp
07-12-2004, 01:43 PM
I always try to use them in place of rice and pasta. Great source of protein and fiber. Protein quality should be irrelevant if you're eating them with a proper protein source such as meat.

Trent_Steel
07-12-2004, 01:54 PM
I was just wondering if I should include the protein when I calculate my 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight. If its crap quality I don't think I will.

Saint Patrick
07-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Barley is another good sub for brown rice.

TheGimp
07-12-2004, 02:47 PM
If it goes in your mouth, count it. Like I said the protein won't go to waste, either combining with "complete" or "complementary" proteins consumed with the meal or with aminos in your bloodstream from either the meal before or after.

manowar669
07-12-2004, 08:11 PM
All beans are fairly close in macro breakdown. Dried lentils are more convenient than other dried beans, since you don't need to soak them for hours. I just use canned beans (I like red kidney beans). I do soak canned beans for a bit, and rinse them a few times to get some of the salt off. I also saw on foodtv.com that the gas associated with beans is usually caused by enzymes in the water they are packed or cooked in. Changing the water, and rinsing removes these enzymes. I have no probs with gas from the beans.

jimmyD
07-13-2004, 06:44 AM
omg--Im glad someone posted this! i thought on a cut beans were a nono! but i see i can add them into my cut and god do i love lentils over nastyass brown rice! THANKS!

hemants
07-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Bengal Graham daal is the lowest glycemic food evar.

If white bread is 100, it's like a 9.