PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to increase my protein intake ?

migs
07-13-2004, 01:32 AM
How much is considered excess ? I know its related to weight, for a 160lb person how much protein is too much ? I usually eat around 140-180gm protein a day with no supplements and I feel that I'm not eating enough in relation to my size. I've seen people post that they eat 300, 350, 400 and one guy even said 488gm !

Do I need to increase my protein intake ?

Aspect
07-13-2004, 02:34 AM
Do I need to increase my protein intake ?

Probably not - but like everything else, it's a personal matter. However, there's little compelling evidence that for most people, eating more than 1g per pound of bodyweight is necessary or even beneficial. Saying that, there's little evidence to say it's detrimental either.

Only you can figure out if you're eating enough protein, but I'd say you probably are. Eating more than you are currently probably won't do you any harm, but it'll be no better than eating extra calories as carb or fat; and protein sources tend to be relatively expensive. Remember, you also need to eat enough calories overall if you want to put on weight. And you need to train hard on an appropriate routine unless you want the weight to go on as fat.

Are you gaining weight at the moment? If not, you're not eating enough calories full-stop. Address this first - get to the point where you're steadily gaining weight by eating more in general. When you get to this point, and you're training hard, then you can experiment sensibly with more or less protein etc. and see what effect (if any) it has on your rate of gain. But until you're gaining weight, you're best off concentrating on getting the calories that you need.

TheGimp
07-13-2004, 04:44 AM
Sounds like calories, not protein, are to blame if you're not gaining weight.

_8_Ball
07-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Probably not - but like everything else, it's a personal matter. However, there's little compelling evidence that for most people, eating more than 1g per pound of bodyweight is necessary or even beneficial. Saying that, there's little evidence to say it's detrimental either.

Good clear answer... I like someone who is open minded as opposed to quoting the "big guy" from his gym...

_8_

migs
07-14-2004, 04:52 AM
Yeah you could say that I dont eat enough calories that is why I dont gain weight, I just want to gain muscle with no fat. Is there any equation for something like that ? I had thought that If I had decreased the calories then I would probably burn the fut I have as well as grow since I work out and eat alot of protein, theres proabably something wrong they cuz Im not gaining weight but Im increasing in power and muscle(shape and size).

Aspect
07-14-2004, 07:39 AM
If you're new to lifting then it's possible to lose fat and gain lean weight at the same time (it sounds like this is what's happening to you at the moment). However, this state probably won't last very long.

Once past the beginner stage, it's very difficult to gain muscle and no fat. It's even more difficult to gain muscle and lose fat. Not impossible, but extremely difficult. It's generally better to try to gain muscle while limiting the amount of fat you gain for a period of time (say a few months). Then, have a period of time where you try to lose fat while maintaining as much muscle as possible. You'll hear people on this board talking about a "clean bulk" or a "slow cut" - this is what they're referring to.

As I mentioned above, you probably don't need more protein than you're eating already; you need to increase your total calories. Combined with training, you should then start to put on lean mass. You may also put on some fat - as I say, this is very hard to avoid and I think you may need to accept a small fat gain while you grow.

I personally would recommend you read this article (http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/baseline-diet-01.htm) (and the second part (http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/baseline-diet-02.htm) as well) and try putting this into practice. It explains how to work out how much you need to eat, and how to minimise your fat gains while you put on muscle. If you read it and have any questions, please post them and I'm sure we'll all be happy to help.

migs
07-14-2004, 07:49 AM
I started 9 months ago and ive trained for about 6 of them 5-6x a week. Ive currently been at a plateau that i want to get past...finding difficulty hence the question i asked.