PDA

View Full Version : Lucozade before/during/after training?

somefuka
07-13-2004, 08:43 AM
What are peoples views of drinking lucozade energy or lucozade sport before/during or after training?? Can it be benefical?

galileo
07-13-2004, 09:02 AM
What's in it?

ryuage
07-13-2004, 09:53 AM
yah it could be beneficial I suppose...

pre for some quick energy/during to keep you in a anabolic state/after to replenish glycogen stores.

Maxgain
07-13-2004, 12:37 PM
its definatly beneficial but for cost to benefit ratio you would want a lot of spare money to be taking it like that

Trent_Steel
07-13-2004, 04:08 PM
I would drink it just before cardio, or after an intense work out if Im feeling a bit dizzy.

Augury
07-13-2004, 08:06 PM
its mainly (or infact i think solely) glucose. good for post workout to get you anabolic.

somefuka
07-14-2004, 03:16 AM
ok cool, sorry how does glucose make you anabolic post workout? is it the insulin boost?

Augury
07-14-2004, 04:00 AM
Well...current thinking seems to go along these lines:

you finish the workout catabolic becasue although protein synthesis is raised post workout, a seperate mechanism called protein breakdown is far more ramped up post workout negating utterly any protein synthesis effect. These two mechanisms are a little like the gas pedal and brake pedal on your car. They are independant and you can use both at once.

The post workout shake (containing protein and carbs) acts to casue a very high blood sugar response, which in turn casues a high insulin response. The carbs that you consumed are then shuttled to the tissues in the body that were sensitized by the insulin response. So the muscles are screaming for glycogen and they get it. The insulin response acts to stop the protein breakdown that is occuring. Simaltaneously the response ramps up protein synthesis. This drives you from net catabolism (muscle breakdown) to net anabolism (muscle synthesis).

Its important to note tho (and this is just my opinion) that you can go overboard here. As Aka and I are discussing on his journal...the total ammount of carbs you consume post workout over 24 hours is far more important than how much glucose you can cram down your throat 15 mins after you put down a weight. Even if you do nothing post workout, your body slowly makes its own changes from catabolism to anabolism. The catabolism lasts for a few hours and the post workout shake basically nails it and prevents muscle loss in that period. Its futher complicated by the thinking that if you eat a large portion of whole food carbs (say cerial) even though its low GI, the sheer volume of food you consume still generates a high blood sugar response. There is a lot of reading around on this topic...i think whats important is getting things in perspective.

Augs

Kirman
07-14-2004, 04:55 AM
i drink a powderd version of lucazdade... costs me 6 a tub and it lasts me about a month if i only have it once 3 days a week (on my training days) Does the trick and i drink it while im training.

I cant recall the name of it, but i will post that later when ive had some lol