PDA

View Full Version : Best Post workout drink for muscle gain

vegetapower
07-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Ok which of these would be my best bet for a postworkout muscle growing drink?
1. 1 cup milk,2 scoops of whey powder, frozen berries, ice, creatine
2. 1 cup water, 2 scoops of whey powder, frozen berries, ice, creatine
3. Gladator smoothie at local shop which has a 45 g protein low carb powder mix and 2 types of fruit like strawberry and blueberry, with a side of creatine.
4. postworkout drink from GNC blended with ice and creatine. Or does anyone else have some cheap alternatives that will build muscle?

buffzilla
07-13-2004, 04:23 PM
You should have made this question a poll, with it being multiple choice and all that. Try blending oats in your protein shake.

vegetapower
07-13-2004, 05:00 PM
What!!! Oats are very slow digesting so wouldn't they be a very bad choice for a post workout shake. I usually have them raw with my moring shake though.

T_Chapman
07-13-2004, 05:10 PM
probably number 2. add some dextrose.

theomen
07-13-2004, 06:26 PM
I'd go with number 2, as you use water. Dairy will slow down your digestion rate. I'd recommend water+ice+malto dextrin+whey+glutamine

Augury
07-13-2004, 08:03 PM
when you finish a workout you are catabolic. you need carbs and an insulin spike to get you anabolic again. Despire the fact that protein synthesis is ramped up a little after a workout, protein breakdown is very high. The post shake is to stop protein breakdown, leaving you in a net balance of protein synthesis.

fast digesting carbs (glucose) are great and hit the spot. dont have any fat at all with this as it will slow down the absorbtion and make it all rather pointless. have some fast absorbing protein with the glucose as it not only promotes a higher insulin response when combined with carbs, but it is there for imediate protein synthesis.

A good start is 0.8g/lb of glucose/dextrose and 0.4g/lb of whey

your mileage may vary.
Augs

AstronautJones
07-14-2004, 01:28 AM
3-4 slimfast shakes.

Tasty.