PDA

View Full Version : feet angle on squat

Alke
07-14-2004, 02:36 PM
I always read that you should have a slight angle in your feet when squatting, so I usually angle my feet , but maybe I do not have enough of an angle?

I was watching some vids, and a lot of squatters have their feet at near or more than 45 degrees angle out,

I tried squatting today with feet at more of angle than ever before (almost 45 degrees) it seemed to help a lot coming out of the hole and I had less tendancy to lean forward.

How much angle do you guys use and do you think I can continue Squatting with my feet at such a wide angle?

Icceman
07-14-2004, 02:40 PM
45 is good....any more than that then youll be hurting form. the vids are prolly right i would just stick with 45 degrees.

Adam
07-14-2004, 04:52 PM
I point my feet straight ahead.

ElPietro
07-21-2004, 08:45 AM
I "think" pointing your feet ahead, creates more tension in the hips. So if you have flexible hips, this could be good to tighten things up and give some more spring out of the hole. With less flexibility, you probably need to angle them a bit more to ensure you can still hit depth.

I think my feet are only on a very slight angle, but I honestly don't really care or check. I just look down to make sure they are roughly the distance apart I want them, and then squat.

meltedtime
07-21-2004, 09:21 AM
I point my feet straight ahead.

That is a recipe for a blown knee cap. Always angle your feet outwards. Pointing your feet straight ahead puts way too much pressure on the knees.

Check out this article: http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewarticle&articleID=5

Here is an excert:

1) The quadriceps muscles can contract more efficiently when the feet are pointing slightly outward . They should NEVER point straight ahead. If you squat with a very wide stance, your adductors tend to assist the quads. This can result in stress to the medial collateral ligament, abnormal cartilage loading, and improper patellar tracking.

melt

Saturday Fever
07-21-2004, 10:24 AM
You should not be squatting with your quads. And if you do, you shouldn't be in the powerlifting forum.

As far as where your toes are pointing, you angle them out because this makes it harder to push down or push with your toes. It makes you push out on the sides of your feet. That, tied to sitting back and not down, will keep the tension on your posterior instead of your quads.

BigCorey75
07-21-2004, 03:30 PM
my feet are out very slightly, mostly straight but out just a slight bit to take the stress off my knee. but when i stick straight it keeps my hips tight and really helps give me power out of the whole

Alke
07-21-2004, 04:29 PM
well, could maybe HEIGHT could play a part in feet angle?

I am 6'3" and I have to admit that since I have started squatting with my feet at 45 degrees vice what I have done in the past using a slight @20 degrees angle that I feel a lot more tension and power coming out of the hole and less stress on my knees.

Manveet
07-21-2004, 04:49 PM
my feet are always pointing out. My hips are just to tight, and I feel a lot weaker with toes pointed straight.

Vido
07-21-2004, 07:15 PM
my feet are always pointing out. My hips are just to tight, and I feel a lot weaker with toes pointed straight.

:withstupi

Padawan
07-21-2004, 08:56 PM
When I squat, my feet are pointed in the same direction as my knee travel is.

Keep everything balanced and in the same lines...

SalahG
07-22-2004, 01:04 AM
How is that stupid in anyway? Try squatting full depth with your feet pointing forward, with out your heels coming up, if you can't do this than your hips a little tight.

WillKuenzel
07-22-2004, 02:13 AM
The "i'm with stupid" is just another way of agreeing. Its not meant to say that it was a stupid comment but that he agreed in a lighthearted way.

fen2zla
07-22-2004, 04:35 AM
The "i'm with stupid" is just another way of agreeing. Its not meant to say that it was a stupid comment but that he agreed in a lighthearted way.

:nod:

SalahG
07-22-2004, 11:44 AM
I see :)

adrenalinaddict
07-22-2004, 11:51 AM
How is that stupid in anyway? Try squatting full depth with your feet pointing forward, with out your heels coming up, if you can't do this than your hips a little tight.

If your heels are coming up it means that your calves are tight. Stretch your calves and hold for at least 20 seconds for corrective stretching. do this before a workout and also throughout the rest of the week.

Well as far as pointing the toes straight. Everything Ive ever learned from NASM and other training programs is that you should always have your toes straight. Keep everything in line as was said before...this is proper posture and provides the proper tension-length relationship for all your muscles and the proper positioning for all the joints as well. Push through the heels and squeeze the glutes coming up to use them instead of your quads.

As far as tension on the knees from keeping your toes straight, it seems to me that its not necessarily more tension on the knees when theyre straight, its that you are directing that tension to other areas by compensating and putting your toes out. Thats not necessarily a good thing. Im sure there are plenty of articles out there supporting toes angled out and straight. I guess you need to decide for you which is best. I trust NASM as a good source for my info though over random articles and the likes.

:strong: Nevermind, I realized this is in the powerlifting forum, and form is a little different for a lot of lifts when in powerlifting. Not necessarily the healthiest, but oh well.

SalahG
07-22-2004, 01:23 PM
If your heels are coming up it means that your calves are tight. Stretch your calves and hold for at least 20 seconds for corrective stretching. do this before a workout and also throughout the rest of the week.

Well as far as pointing the toes straight. Everything Ive ever learned from NASM and other training programs is that you should always have your toes straight. Keep everything in line as was said before...this is proper posture and provides the proper tension-length relationship for all your muscles and the proper positioning for all the joints as well. Push through the heels and squeeze the glutes coming up to use them instead of your quads.

As far as tension on the knees from keeping your toes straight, it seems to me that its not necessarily more tension on the knees when theyre straight, its that you are directing that tension to other areas by compensating and putting your toes out. Thats not necessarily a good thing. Im sure there are plenty of articles out there supporting toes angled out and straight. I guess you need to decide for you which is best. I trust NASM as a good source for my info though over random articles and the likes.

:strong: Nevermind, I realized this is in the powerlifting forum, and form is a little different for a lot of lifts when in powerlifting. Not necessarily the healthiest, but oh well.
No. It's a slight mix of both, hip tightness causes calf tightness, when you your hips can not move through their full range of motion it pull everything out of alignment, your knees get pulled out, you lean forward to get depth, putting the weight more in a direct line with your quads, and then your calves come up.

adrenalinaddict
07-22-2004, 11:22 PM
When you say hips are you referring to like your Hip flexors being shortened giving an anterior pelvic tilt? If thats what you mean, then ya I totally get what your saying. A lot of times those tight hip flexors and tight calves come together. If your form is pretty much perfect but heels just come up its most likely tight calves, but you are correct if the rest of your form isnt on, and tight hip flexors are pulling you forward then it will definitely throw everything else off and pull your heels up as well.