PDA

View Full Version : Are 'spare tires" a good enough indicator..

rich
07-15-2004, 06:01 PM
that your diet/bulking is sufficient, if you are of the ultra-fat burning type.

I have put on 2 inches around my waist without any specific diet, just eating as frequently as possible and taking the odd weight gainer shake. Although the rest of me remains pretty skinny, I have this gut and I don't want to put on any more in that area because when I sit down it looks pretty damn unnattractive! (anyone who's seen axl rose lately knows what i'm on about)

So basically the question is..

- am I ok going on eating heartily without a specific diet?

- or is there a possibility I am still not getting enough calories even though i am getting a nasty paunch?

sorry if this is a dumb question

ryuage
07-15-2004, 06:11 PM
actually if your waist is growing and everything else is staying the same... you need to recheck your diet AND your training...

WillKuenzel
07-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Like ryuage said, if other areas of you aren't growing then you aren't eating correctly and/or your training is a bit off. It helps to have a specific diet, that way you know exactly what you are eating and know how to change it based upon your weekly/monthly results.

Are you getting stronger in your lifts? That's another good indicator. If you are just getting fatter then you are going to have to take step back reevaluate what you are doing.

rich
07-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Actually my lifts are getting much stronger much quicker, it's surprising when I look through my log/diary thing and see the progression after a few months working out.

When I say the rest of me remains skinny, I think I have put on some muscle growth but the places where there aren't muscles remain skinny.

Maybe a pic would help?
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=48858
on the right

It doesnt show my gut but I assure you it's there and getting bigger.

WillKuenzel
07-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Measure your arms, chest and legs. If they aren't growing faster than your gut then you are eating too much or just too much of stuff you shouldn't. You can bulk and get fat but if you do it right, you try to minimize the fat you do gain.

AstronautJones
07-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Agreed. I would say to keep bulking, especially after seeing the pic. Just make sure you are eating plenty of the right kinds of foods, and you have a solid training routine.

rich
07-15-2004, 06:55 PM
ok sh*t, i've measured up and it seems my arms and legs are almost not growing at all. maybe a couple of millimeters in the last few months but 1-2 inches on the waist.

so why am i lifting more?
and if i stop eating junk arent i just going to stop gaining altogether (both fat and muscle?)

meltedtime
07-16-2004, 07:12 AM
and if i stop eating junk arent i just going to stop gaining altogether (both fat and muscle?)

That could be your problem right there. Bulking is NOT an excuse to eat junk and as much as you want. You still need to eat healthy. You just eat more. You don't need to be as strict on calories or fat intake but deep fried and empty calorie foods are still out.

melt

rich
07-16-2004, 07:39 AM
[edited]

Yeah melted, what you have said seems to match up with what I'm reading

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/gainingmass.php

"The truth is that if you are natural (and you should be) and want to get big, you need to simply eat more. You also need to train properly. Proper training and the ingestion of sufficient total calories (with sufficient protein) are what will make you huge, not following some overly strict typical bodybuilding diet. "

"If size and strength are your goals, then what you need is a boatload of nutrient rich calories combined with proper training"

So basically I need to read up on nutrients and proteins because I have no idea if I'm getting any. Thanks guys.