PDA

View Full Version : Fat Burning Zone vs Cardio zone

GrindingOut
07-16-2004, 12:02 PM
simply put....i see cardio machines at the gym that list an intensity lower than cardio and call it a "fat burning zone" which has a lower heart rate...

then there is cardio, higher intensity/heart rate...

Isn't it CARDIO that burns more fat?

Surely these machines aren't saying that working out at lower intensity burns more fat than higher intensity cardio?

Vido
07-16-2004, 01:37 PM
You burn a higher % of calories from fat at a lower intensity. However, because you burn more calories overall at a higher intensity you are actually burning more total fat, just not as a % of cals burned.

GrindingOut
07-16-2004, 02:18 PM
You burn a higher % of calories from fat at a lower intensity. However, because you burn more calories overall at a higher intensity you are actually burning more total fat, just not as a % of cals burned.

Interesting...so it sounds like to reduce fat...lower intensity is better?

Vido
07-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Interesting...so it sounds like to reduce fat...lower intensity is better?

I don't know how you got that out of what I wrote, but let me try again. Say you do low intensity cardio and burn 100 calories, and 40 of them are fat calories. Now, do moderate or high intensity cardio for the same time period and you burn 200 calories, and 70 of them are fat calories (numbers are all made up). In the low intensity version, you burned 40% of your calories from fat, and in the higher intensity version only 35% calories from fat. However, you burned an extra 30 calories from fat in the higher intensity cardio because you burned more total calories. You burned MORE fat in the higher intensity version, but a SMALLER % of the calories you burned were from fat.

Matt-itude
07-17-2004, 06:27 AM
I don't know how you got that out of what I wrote, but let me try again. Say you do low intensity cardio and burn 100 calories, and 40 of them are fat calories. Now, do moderate or high intensity cardio for the same time period and you burn 200 calories, and 70 of them are fat calories (numbers are all made up). In the low intensity version, you burned 40% of your calories from fat, and in the higher intensity version only 35% calories from fat. However, you burned an extra 30 calories from fat in the higher intensity cardio because you burned more total calories. You burned MORE fat in the higher intensity version, but a SMALLER % of the calories you burned were from fat.

im stupid, so where do the other 65% of calories burnt come from?

Rik-s
07-17-2004, 06:58 AM
Carbs ?

Jezmason
07-17-2004, 07:53 AM
I dunno but i always hear that working at 60-70% of your target heartrate burns fat most effectively.

TBone4Eva
07-17-2004, 08:58 AM
Carbs ?
Yes, the other 65% are being burned from your glycogen stores.

Another benefit of high intensity cardio is that your metabolism is boosted so you continue to burn more calories after your workout then with low intensity cardio.

Vido
07-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Yes, the other 65% are being burned from your glycogen stores.

Another benefit of high intensity cardio is that your metabolism is boosted so you continue to burn more calories after your workout then with low intensity cardio.

In many cases, some will unfortunately come from protein (muscle) as well.