PDA

View Full Version : skinny boy needs help!

quinn
07-17-2004, 05:58 AM
Hi ....
Been Readin up loads on how to fill my body with all that i need to gain weight and bulk up. I am a measaly 130lbs and need to bulk up as much as i can!! Problem being that i can only fit so much food in my belly! I have read so much about weight gain formulas and stuff but dont know which is the best and which is a con. I am breaking my meals down into regular 3 hour sittings but i can still only cram about 1500 - 2000 cals in ( and thats with a couple of tinned nourishment shakes thrown in for good measure!) Please help!!! :bang:

Pete_Sebastiano
07-17-2004, 07:52 AM
Hi ....
Been Readin up loads on how to fill my body with all that i need to gain weight and bulk up. I am a measaly 130lbs and need to bulk up as much as i can!! Problem being that i can only fit so much food in my belly! I have read so much about weight gain formulas and stuff but dont know which is the best and which is a con. I am breaking my meals down into regular 3 hour sittings but i can still only cram about 1500 - 2000 cals in ( and thats with a couple of tinned nourishment shakes thrown in for good measure!) Please help!!! :bang:

You need to eat more frequently and spread your meals throughout the day. Eating 6 or more smaller meals..2-3 hours between each meal should do the trick..Otherwise you can buy MRP to help you cram in those calories easier...

Aspect
07-17-2004, 08:13 AM
If you're only 130lbs and used to eating a small amount, it's not surprising you can't suddenly shovel food down your throat. Eating is just like anything else, you need time to become accustomed to eating more. Just as you build up your weights in the gym, so you need to build up your eating.

Start by adding a couple of hundred calories per day. If you spread them out through the day, it's not too hard - it only adds up to, for example, a slice of bread and a large glass of milk. Get used to that for maybe a week or two, then add another couple of hundred - maybe slightly larger portions of whatever meals you eat, plus a piece of fruit or something. Keep going like this, progressively adding more, and you'll adapt to it. Try to suddenly jump up and you'll struggle.

Other things to consider are eating calorie-dense foods; being quite free with oils in your food (e.g. olive oil as salad dressing or when cooking); drinking full-fat rather than skimmed milk; and snacking on high-calorie foods (like nuts, seeds and/or dried fruit). That last point alone can make a huge difference - if you ate just 50g of nuts and 50g of dried fruit per day, you'll be adding around 400-500 calories right there.

Don't expect miracles overnight, but take a disciplined approach - gradually adapt to eating more, then more still, until you start to gain weight - then stick at it. As you grow you'll need to eat even more, but as long as you build it up sensibly you can do it.

Good luck!

quinn
07-18-2004, 01:55 PM
thanx for the tips .... i like the one about eating high cal snacks like nuts, will be munchin on them all the time! :burger: Are any of these weight gain shakes any good? im willing to give anything a chance as long as im not getting ripped off.
Also im thinking of taking creatine (is this a good idea?)
Im off to eat a big steak dinner now!
Cheers folks :burger:

the one
07-18-2004, 05:45 PM
muscle milk is really good, kinda expensive though, nl2 is really good for sometone in your situation as well

Aspect
07-19-2004, 03:47 AM
Weight-gain drinks and protein drinks aren't necessary by any stretch of the imagination, but you personally might find them helpful. They don't do anything magical, so if you can consume a similar number of calories from real food then you'll not gain anything by using the shakes. However, some people find it difficult to eat enough food, and find it easier to drink some of their calories (either they simply can't face eating more real food, or they haven't got time due to work or whatever).

If you can't eat enough for whatever reason then shakes may be worth using. Otherwise, it's probably cheaper to just eat more whole foods (and it's at least as good for you). To me personally, they're expensive for what they are, but I don't have any problems with appetite etc.; if they were the only way for me to get in enough calories, then they'd be a good choice for me. You'll have to assess your own situation.

One last thing - if you do start to use them, I'd still advise building up the number of calories gradually. Don't suddenly add a thousand calories per day to your diet; build up to it over the course of a few weeks.

Augury
07-19-2004, 06:00 AM
I agree with Aspect in every way. Good post.

I suffer from similar problems as you Quinn, just a litte futher down the line. Im currently bulking on 2600 a day and Im struggling. Obviously im getting teased by all the "big stomached people" here who can eat 4000 cals and still feel a little peckish. it takes time. Your stomach does seem to grow. there is also a chicken and egg situation. Eating when you arent hungry is utterly miserable. Fire up your metabolism by working really hard in the gym. I mean...INTENSE. Cardio can help some people too (and supresses apetite in others).

The time i can eat most is post workout. i can literally eat 1000 cals after working out and in 45 mins im hungry again. So i feed again. I am getting more aware of when my body needs food. Post workout everything is buzing and i can eat a lot. I wish i could workout in the mornings but im simply not yet disciplined enough to work out at 5am. So i end up eating a lot in the evenings and actually having small meals before bed too.

Liquid is your friend. Ive found some interesting things to do with drinks just by being a little experimental in the world of cooking:

buy some flat rolled oats (if you dont have these already shame on you) and then cooks some of them up till they are a paste. keep this in the fridge. when you want a calorie dense shake....get a half cup scoop of soft cooked oats, 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1 tbs olive oil, big scoop of choccie flavour whey and for me personally half a teaspoon of coffee powder. Add milk (full fat if we are going for calories) and blend in a blender. voiala. This stuff tastes good (to me) and has carbs, fat and protein. this ISNT an ideal postworkout shake (as these should really be fat free) but this is a good way to get cals without chewing and after about 15 mins it just seems to have vanished from my tummy :)

Augs

the one
07-19-2004, 06:42 AM
good posts guys. and the oats dont even have to be cooked i dont think. youll still get the same nutrients and cals, i just throw them in the blender uncooked

Augury
07-19-2004, 06:49 AM
agreed the one. i only precook mine becasue my blender isnt a "blender" its one of those hand held blender things and dosnt really "puree". As such if i dont cook the oats a litte first its like drinking gravel.

quinn
07-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Cheers for the advice guys...
I am trying to get food in my tum every 2.5 hours now and its working good.
I am in a constant full belly phase but as soon as i dont feel 'full' i just top it up with a peanut butter sandwich! Constantll snacking on nuts is doing loads as well , but thanks also for telling me not to go the full hog all at once.
This has made me chill about the timescale that i need to work to. I know that its gonna be a long time before im a 20lbs heavier but im a bit concerned that i may be burning too much off in the gym. Im in every day for 15-20 mins cardio (bike or row) , then i do a 1 hour workout (resistance machines at the moment) 1 day back and arms, the next legs and abs and so on , i know that my met rate is very fast so i try to do as little cardio as pos but if i do any less than 15 mins it dont even lift my heart rate! I have been told that if i do no cardio it will be better but im not sure. Any tips on workouts would be great. :spam:

the one
07-19-2004, 12:52 PM
i would start hittin the free weight area as opposed to the selectorized equipment

quinn
07-20-2004, 08:08 AM
EEEk! Freeweights!!!!!
I dig where yr comming from The one, but thats where all the beefcakes hang out! im a weenie ass and feel realy self concious abouty my size at the moment . I will get in there late when everyone else has left the gym(i get free time as i work there) . if i post my workout scedule will you see if you can add to it for me? cheers

the one
07-20-2004, 08:56 AM
yeah man i u nderstand how it is. i think we ALL started off right where your at./ how old are you? post your routine and well take a look. but honestly man i can tell you that the "beefcakes" wont think anything of you for bein small, theyll prob actually respect you for gettin in everyday and kickin ass.

Augury
07-20-2004, 09:06 AM
yeah man i u nderstand how it is. i think we ALL started off right where your at./ how old are you? post your routine and well take a look. but honestly man i can tell you that the "beefcakes" wont think anything of you for bein small, theyll prob actually respect you for gettin in everyday and kickin ass.

:withstupi

TOBART
07-20-2004, 12:32 PM
quinn, I was and still am kind of in your situation. I used to have no appetite for food, I could eat one meal a day and be happy. I also used to weigh 120lbs. After 7 months, I am up to 138 and gaining consistantly.

Anyways a few tricks for eating more. Eat a huge variety at every meal, add in some vegetables and dip, a bowl of raisons, icecream for desert, etc. Don't not eat something because its not calorie or protien dense.

Weight gainer drinks have helped me a lot, they are about the only thing I can handle for breakfast and post workout. Just because these are times when I desperatly need food but I am not hungry at all (I work out right after supper).

TOBART
07-20-2004, 04:58 PM
I forgot one of the most important things...

Learn to cook. Seriously, make a hobby of it. If you are eating around 6 times a day you should be eating food you like, and its really easy to like something that you put a good amount of effort into making.

quinn
07-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Cherrs guys i think ive cracked it... been on a 3 hour meal regime for 2 days now and usin all the advice you have given me.Eating has just become part of my daily routine and it feels a lot easier than a few day ago even. Im constantly picking things up or going off to the cafe for a cake or something! Also the nuts are a good thing to nibble on all throught the day, im gettin through a 100g or peanuts a day and the odd peanut butter sandwich..
Oh..... did i forget the other thing....? Yeah i weighed myself today and i put on 2 lbs YAY!!!!! :thumbup: thanx for all the support!!

Augury
07-21-2004, 06:40 PM
ok. so now you are learjing how to eat....

next you need to learn what you should and shouldnt eat to maximise muscle growth and minimise fat gain.

if the 2lbs you put on is all fat then thats not a good thing. if its 2lbs of muscle then you are the lord of muscle and rock :)

So that 100g of nuts...whilst its easy...is basically 50% fat. so you ate 50g of fat. good fat no doubt....but did you need 50g of fat in your diet? would 50g of protein been better.

Carry on learning to eat as you are, more frequently and in greater quantity. K Train like your life depends on it in the gym so you stimulate muscle and keep your apetite high. Then over the next few weeks look at bulking diet stickys. Look at peoples bulking journals. Get a feel for the massbuilding diet components and you are set.

Have fun!

quinn
07-23-2004, 09:00 AM
sure , i understand now. Im making my own shakes from oats , whey , and dextrose. and trying to keep it lean and packed with protien. Although the odd fatty thing is god for me as a treat. (i dont ever eat stuff like burgers and sausage) only ever proper cuts of meat.
Gonna hit the gym 2 times a day ..
Ill post my gym program in a few days.Thanx

Augury
07-23-2004, 09:02 AM
all sounds good.

the trick is to keep going. changes can always be made as you go. but carrying on going is how you get results :)

Augs

_-_v_-_
07-23-2004, 09:38 AM
You don't need to hit the gym twice a day.

Twice a WEEK is sufficient.

Get a decent routine first. That's the most important thing.

The WBB routines would be a good place to start.

Augury
07-23-2004, 11:52 AM
2x per day? how did i miss that.

that is sheer madness. overtraining - muscle loss - exhaustion - CNS burnout in a few weeks. prolly an injury tossed in for kicks.

follow WBB1. its just fine and dandy.

Augs

mikah
07-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Good luck! My roomate used to be 130 and hes 5"6 1/2.
Now hes a natural 180 and 7% BF. You can do this!

quinn
07-28-2004, 06:21 PM
I would be going round in circles if it wasnt for you guys... thanx again .
I have been training too much!! Duh ! Now i see ... Keep balanced in all the factors. Diet, Exercise and Rest.. or as i like to say... DER!
How could i not see it!
One thing tho , should i be trying to exceed what i can comfortably do 2 sets 0f reps? or should i try a few more reps to push myself for now? I can feel a few more in ther but i wanna be lifting more, i need to consider the saftey aspect too, i know . :thumbup: :thumbup:
Cheers!

dyslexic_banana
08-02-2004, 01:50 PM
I've not much to say of any use, but I can say that I'm in a similar boat. I'm 155 odd pounds at 6', and find eating, quite frankly, an ordeal, often. Before I started bodybuilding, I ate probably little or no more than 2000 calories a day, considering which to be more an ordeal than anything else, if discounting junk food treats. Nowadays, I try to get in the required number of calories, but find doing so to be a real pain where it hurts, especially being as the ideal 'bodybuilder's' diet is healthy. I'll find myself forcing myself to eat pasta/rice that I don't enjoy eating, sometimes almost feeling sick, such is the ****ty taste of which.

Does anyone else find themselves sneaking in takeaways and the like, simply to fulfil the calorific requirements of their diet?