PDA

View Full Version : teen in need of some advice

luckee001
07-17-2004, 07:17 PM
hi, i have posted on here before but i have another diet critique question. just to recap, i am 17 year old female, used to be VERY competitive distance runner and all around athlete before i became obsessive and anorexic. i am now 80 pounds and am 5 foot 6 inches so it is pretty scary. i am lifting with a trainer 4 X week and doing NO CARDIO, just lifting. no sweating or anything too calorically expendible. i want to gain quality mass (lots of muscle and yes, i realize, some fat) and i would love to put on about 2 pounds a week because i want to start my senior year NOT looking like a skeleton. I have been very reluctant to up my calories before, but i am now willing to push my limits and i realize how important calories and nutrition are to putting on mass. i am really going to up my calories this time.
anyways, i would like it if u would review my diet for me. i am taking creatine as well to help put on muscle, and have just been mixing 5 grams with gatorade at the very end of my workouts. i was wondering if it woould be better to use a protein powder or supplement with creatine in it post work out instead (?) what are ur opinions? also, is 5 grams enough, and do i take it on days i am not training? (with the gatorade, or plain?)

heres my diet, it is about 2000 calories, so i should be able to put on two pounds a week at my size (80 pound female)

**Macros are calories= carbs/protein/fat

7:30 pre-workout -

prolab naturally lean mass matrix Mrp shake- 200= 20/20/4
Apple- 100 = 25/0/0

Totals- 300= 45/ 20/ 4

8:00 WORKOUT

Gatorade 1 scoop = 100/25/0/0
Creatine- 5 grams (powder)

Totals- 100= 25/0/0

30 min later (RIGHT when I get home ) BREAKFAST (around 9:30)-

2/3 cup oatmeal- 210= 37 / 9 / 4
1 cup sugar free soy milk- 70= 4 / 6 /3
cup egg whites- 60 = 0/ 13 /0

Totals- 340= 41/ 28/ 7

LUNCH (12:30)-
Whole wheat bagel- 250- 51/ 11 / 1
1 cup egg whites- 120 = 0/ 26/ 0
1 cup green beens- 40 = 8 / 2 / 0
tomatoes 30= 7 /0 /0
1 slice soy cheese 60 = 1/6/3

Totals- 500 = 64 / 45 / 4

SNACK (4:00)-

1 cup sugar free soy milk- 70= 4 / 6 /3
cup 1% cottage cheese - 80 = 5 / 13 / 2
5 oz snow peas or strawberries- 70 = 18/ 0/ 0

220 = 27 / 19 / 5

DINNER (7:00) -
3 cups veggies (broccoli/ caulliflower) 100= 21/ 8 / 0
4 oz chicken/fish/shrimp- 150 = 0/ 33 / 2
soy cheese 60 = 1/ 6 / 3
sweet potato 175 = 40 / 2 / 0

Totals- 485 = 62 / 49 / 5

Grand total = 1945 = 264 / 161 / 25

thank you for any help you can give me.

shansen008
07-17-2004, 07:26 PM
First off just let me say i admire your courage in being honest about the eating disorder.

Second, please post what your workout consists of.

Third, It looks to me that you need more good fat in your diet. Try adding a table spoon of olive oil to your protein shakes. Dont try to cut out every gram of fat if you want to gain weight. Fat isnt your enemy...excessive caloric intake is.

Fourth, i would take your creatine BEFORE your workouts. I personally take creatine twice on training days, once before my workout (1 hour prior), and once after my workout along with some glutamine. On off days i take it once in the morning for maintenance.

There are lots of guys here who know more than i, but i hope that helps a bit.

Vido
07-17-2004, 07:33 PM
First off just let me say i admire your courage in being honest about the eating disorder.

Second, please post what your workout consists of.

Third, It looks to me that you need more good fat in your diet. Try adding a table spoon of olive oil to your protein shakes. Dont try to cut out every gram of fat if you want to gain weight. Fat isnt your enemy...excessive caloric intake is.

***Agreed, but better sources than olive oil are fish oil and flax oil. You can also try nuts, such as walnuts or almonds, to get that healthy fat intake up.***

Fourth, i would take your creatine BEFORE your workouts. I personally take creatine twice on training days, once before my workout (1 hour prior), and once after my workout along with some glutamine. On off days i take it once in the morning for maintenance.

***Not a huge deal but yeah, before and after (either 2 doses or just a half dose at each time) is probably better.***

There are lots of guys here who know more than i, but i hope that helps a bit.

luckee001
07-17-2004, 09:40 PM
thanks for responding. My workout really varies, it is pretty much tailored to what my trainer tells me. but it is usually like this:

mon- bi's and tri's
tues- chest/back/traps
wed- legs
thurs- rest
fri- mix of full body
sat/sun- rest

my workouts arent very long.. never longer than 40 minutes or so... is that bad? also... do i keep my diet the same on days i dont train? do i take the creatine powder by itself or with the gatorade?

migs
07-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Carbs and proteins are both in check, I agree that you need the extra fats. No 40min workout isnt bad amd yes you need to keep the diet the same on the days you dont train cuz you need the energy and your body doesnt build muscle only on the days you train but on several days. I dont use creatine so I got no idea about it other than I think you dont need it since your training isnt that long and most prolly not that intense. Why dont you go for some mega mass or weight gainers ?

Are you getting enough sleep ?

Vido
07-18-2004, 12:36 AM
my workouts arent very long.. never longer than 40 minutes or so... is that bad? also... do i keep my diet the same on days i dont train? do i take the creatine powder by itself or with the gatorade?

A "short" workout like that is actually good, so keep that up.

You should be eating just as much (or maybe slightly less) on off days. I don't think you need as many carbs on off days, so this would be a good chance to get your fat intake up.

If you're having gatorade at the same time as your creatine, then go ahead and mix it in...if not, no big deal.

Allyrulez
07-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Are you lifting to failure??

Good luck with what you are trying to do, but if it were me i would put some serious grind & sweat into the lifting, unless i misunderstood what you meant.

And yes extra fat, fat is an anabolic and is needed for optimum muscle growth

ectx
07-18-2004, 02:22 PM
SeinfieldGeorge...consider yourself warned...and gone. Constructive criticism is encouraged. Your assinine behavior is not. Good day all.

_-_v_-_
07-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Luckee: First, I wish to congratulate you on your achievements; I myself have been there, have suffered through what you have suffered through, have likely known what you have known. The steps you have taken, up to and including coming here, are those which few ever manage to take; never forget this, and always, always, be proud of it. Please forgive me if you have heard this all before -- likely you have, and are by now eminently aware both of how unimaginably difficult were the steps and how meaningful it is that you have made them nonetheless -- but I could not stand idle and let such progress go uncommended. Feel free to PM me or drop by my WBB journal if you wish to chat; I'll gladly help in whatever fashion I can.

luckee001
07-18-2004, 03:05 PM
thank you all very much. I will work on upping my fat intake.. but I am not sure what meals would be best to do that... I guess I could put two tablespoons of peanut butter (16 grams fat) on my whole wheat bagel.. but that would make that meal almost 700 calories... and isn't carbs + fats bad? Any other suggestions on where to add fats?

also, yes my reps are till failure and my workouts are pretty hard, heavy lifting. Do you think 2 pounds a week is realistic? I hope so.

Again, thank you for your responses and encouragement. It is sooo helpful because I have so much guilt and regret for what I have done to my body. I can't even look in the mirror anymore... it makes me so sad to think howI've missed out on some of the best years of my life, all because of a stupid eating and exercise obsession! thank you all again.

pruneman
07-18-2004, 03:22 PM
luckee001...I would just like to second everything said by _-_v_-_. I too have shared your struggles and agree that you are to be commended for taking the first step. I would encourage you to check out the online journals section. Starting a journal is a really good way to track progress, stay motivated, and learn a lot of valuable information. I also think you will find the community here at WBB very friendly and knowledgable.

As far as trying to add fat to your diet, here are some possibilities:
1. a whole egg at lunch
2. Some nuts with your cottage cheese.
3. Olive oil on your vegetables for dinner
4. Natural PB or some nuts before bed.

I wouldn't worry about eating fat and carbs together. Actually eating them together reduces the insulin response to the carbs because the fat slows their absorption.

_-_v_-_
07-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Fats + carbs is not a bad thing.

Don't worry about it.

David
07-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Why is carbs+fat=bad?

luckee001
07-19-2004, 09:41 AM
there is this theory that carbs + fats will cause your body to store fat. I don't really get it either.

_-_v_-_
07-19-2004, 09:50 AM
It all comes down to energy balance, luckee.

That's the ONLY thing to worry about. Consume more than you expend: weight gain. Expend more than you consume: weight loss.

The theory that carbs and fats, when combined, promote fat storage is, in my opinion, bunk.