PDA

View Full Version : Imitation Peanut Butter

Zearoth
07-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Hello,

I have allergic reactions to peanut butter, which kind of sucks, seeing that it is one of the few excellent sources of good fats.

I heard awhile back on some local news about an imitation peanut butter which has the same taste, texture and look of regular peanut butter, but it made out of tofu. I was curious to know if anyone has heard of this, because I'm dying to get my hands on some and try some.

I'd also love to see if it contains the same nutrition goodness as regular PB, and use it in as a part of my meals.

Thanks for helping out!

Zearoth
07-18-2004, 02:54 PM
No one's ever heard of these? I've done searches on google at least a thousand times and came up with no results...

migs
07-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Maybe it doesnt exist, I think other nuts also have good fats.

pruneman
07-19-2004, 06:09 AM
I have tried the soy nut butter. It tastes like @$$. the sun butter is worth a shot though
http://www.sunbutter.com/
http://www.soynutbutter.com/

TheGimp
07-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Can you eat other nuts? Something like almond butter is great.

Zearoth
07-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Unforunately, no, I can't eat any nut or fish products, which really sucks.

By the way, thanks pruneman, I'll look into getting a few jars from them.

TheGimp
07-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Some other good sources of fat are:

Flaxseed oil (not sure if you can have this given you can't eat nuts, but it's a good source of essential fatty acids which you should definitely be taking if you can't have fish oil)
Avocados
Olive Oil

Peanutbutter is actually quite overrated as a source of good fat :)

Zearoth
07-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Yes, but I'm very limited to my choices. I'm only left with avocados and olive oil when you subtract all of the other sources that could give me allergic reactions. The soy peanut butter pruneman linked me to shows that per one tablespoon, there is 16 grams of fat. Mostly mono and poly, which also gives me a good way to get my EFAs.

geoffgarcia
07-19-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm only left with avocados and olive oil when you subtract all of the other sources that could give me allergic reactions.
what about hemp, udos or grapeseed?

pb isn't that great btw...its just another source...

Holto
07-19-2004, 12:17 PM
what about hemp, udos?

big ditto

pb isn't that great btw...its just another source...

pb is just Omega 6 which is easy to get

buffzilla
07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Eggs are full of good fats, the protein content is not bad either.

Zearoth
07-19-2004, 07:17 PM
I bought some SoyNut Butter and it tastes pretty good. First time EVER trying PB, and quite frankly, it kicks ***. Good source of good fats as well, just like regular PB.

Not very familiar with hemps or udos... However, I think I can suffice with what I have; olive oil, eggs, avocados, soy PB, etc...

Thanks for the input everyone.