PDA

View Full Version : Some more questions for you guys...

beachmuscles
07-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Ok...Every day at work and actually every day i have 2 sandwichs usually 1 tuna and 1 turkey. The bread I use is Arnold Healthy Multigran...It's not the Stone wheat like I see alot of you talk about. Is this bread hurting my progress? I haven't noticed my body have any negative effects and I eat 4 slices of it a day. It's like 7-grain bread or something. (IM ON A CLEAN BULK)

Also I was wondering how can i make my tuna sandwichs more calories? Right now it is

2 Slices bread: 180calories
Whole bag of tuna: 280calories
Total: 460 calories

That is usually one of my meals I'd like to add about another 100 calories or so to the sandwich any ideas? OR maybe something I can eat with the sandwich?

Another question is, is it ok to have maintainace days on a bulk? Like sometimes for example today I woke up late and I have to go to sleep early soo I only have time for 5 meals soo I'll only hit like maintenace calories. And btw what is my maintaince for 185lb? 185x15?

And is oatmeal with a banana a good pre workout meal like 1/2 cup oatmeal whole banana and like 1/2 protein bar?

And for dinner does it matter if i have baked potato (white) or sweet potatoe?

Holto
07-18-2004, 07:22 PM
as long as the bread is whole grain (which your is) then it's a healthy choice

to add some cals to a meal nuts & seeds...and the fat will cause your gall bladder to secrete bile which will result in good digestion

maintenance days are fine worry about your cals for the week

pre-wo meal sounds fine

and a baked potatoe VS sweet potatoe doesn't matter on a bulk

on a cut the only consideration would be which one is more filling and will keep you compliant

beachmuscles
07-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the reply :) When you say nuts & seeds is there any you would recommend? I have some kind of salted almonds are those any good? Like 16g fat though :(

LightningandIce
07-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Sure, why not?

Drink something with it. If you want calories, try lowfat milk. 8 oz. of 1% milk has 100 calories, 22 of which from fat, and 8 grams of protein.

Sure, as long as it's not every day.

Looks fine.

I'd say baked, just because sweet tastes like ****.

Almonds are generally good for bulking, so I've heard. The salt adds a lot of sodium, if you don't mind that.

Augury
07-19-2004, 06:17 AM
43% of my calories come from fat. I eat 126g a day of fat.

The thing is i eat healthy fat. fish caps for omega 3's, extra virgin olive oil, oil from peanut butter, nuts and seeds (cashew is a good nut).

Fat is not only essential, but its just a ballast to calories. If you happen to be following a low carb bulk (some people like me just get fat on high carb bulks) then fat is where you get your calories from. Not a single person I meet who is outside the world of BBing believes that i eat so much fat. They all just say "fat? wont you get fat??" and i show them my 4 pack (i did almost have a six pack at the beginning of this bulk) and they just shut up.

Fat dosnt make you fat.
Bad fat blocks your arteries.
Too many calories makes you fat.
If you ate 10,000 cals a day of tuna you would get fat.

in answer to your question...someone said eat nuts and seeds and thats cool. Another option is to add say 1desert spoon of olive oil to the tuna before you put it in your sandwich. mmmm. tastes much nicer too. or use an olive oil spread to "butter" your bread with?

Augs

skyjumper
07-19-2004, 06:29 AM
43% of my calories come from fat. I eat 126g a day of fat.

How much do you weigh? Trying to figure out how many grams of fat I can squeeze in. (I love nuts).

Augury
07-19-2004, 06:47 AM
i currently weigh 142 lbs. im on a bulk (see my journal for all the mindnumbing detail). Im looking to gain 20lbs of mass and hopefully 15 lbs LBM and 5 lbs fat 9if i can avoid the fat gain i will).

im eating 2600 cals a day
126g fat (1134 cal)
170g protein (680 cal)
200g carbs (800 cal)

im eating low carbs becasue Im sensitive to them. Depends what you are like. Some people (like aka especially) seem to do amazingly on high carbs. I just get very fat and lethargic if i eat 40-50% cals from carbs. Good fats suit me better. Also low carbs promotes mobilization of blood fatty acids and fat burning so by eating fat my body burns fat rather than storing it. This is a response to the low carbs NOT a response to eating fat. Low carbs makes the body turn to fats as an energy soruce. For full effect i really should be down to 100g carbs but im just experimenting with some carb cycling between 50g, 150g and 300g depending on what im doing that day of the week.....anyhow...im getting off topic.

An easy way to figure it is to give yourself 1-1.5g of protein /lb of bodyweight (im on 1.5g).

From there all you can vary is the fat or carb intake. thats going to be down to personal sensitivity. I think 0.45g/lb is around the min fat a person should consume to remain healthy when training. (which for me is about 60g).

Anyhow...point is, i eat a lot of fat becasue i eat very little carbs. Really you should do one or the other. Eating 600g a day of carbs and 200g a day of fat will possibly lead to nastiness in the spare tyre department.

For more info on effects of carbs, carb cycling and fat go read the boards at www.bodyrecomposition.com. Whilst Lyle is often blunt, rude and an ass he is by far the most knowledgeable nutritionist ive ever read from. it takes a while (a few months) to let the concepts settle in but dont be afraid to ask him questions directly. he does answer them. just make sure you do a search ont he site first....he gets a bit angsty if you ask him about the effect of eating carbs and fat in the same meal without reading the 200 other threads he already posted on in the last 6 months :)

Augs

Aspect
07-19-2004, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the reply :) When you say nuts & seeds is there any you would recommend? I have some kind of salted almonds are those any good? Like 16g fat though :(

Some really good advice already, just one thing I'd comment on - you ask whether salted almonds are good. I'd suggest that unsalted nuts are preferable, and if you like nuts, you should enjoy the unsalted ones too. Pick pretty much any variety you like - almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, pine nuts, brazil nuts, walnuts, whatever you enjoy and will eat. Same goes for seeds - pick ones you like, don't worry too much about getting an absolutely perfect profile of fatty acids. I personally think it's better to eat a diet that's 95% ideal, and stick with it for a long time, than to eat 100% perfectly but only stick it out a month.

Augury
07-19-2004, 05:45 PM
I personally think it's better to eat a diet that's 95% ideal, and stick with it for a long time, than to eat 100% perfectly but only stick it out a month.

That advice is golden. Nicely put.

beachmuscles
07-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Should I still eat walnuts, almonds, and natural peanut butter if im on clean bulk? And how much of these fats should I have for 185lbs

Alke
07-19-2004, 06:43 PM
I alternate between nuts and peanut beuuter. I eat a peanut butter sandwich one day and then a handful of nnuts the other day. I did this for 7 months all to the way from 180 to 223 and could still see top four abs at the end of my bulk. Granted it was a very clean bulk and lots of planning........

you should be fine eating nuts or peanut butter. Just not both on same day and not more than a tablespoon of natty peanut butter and not more than a handful of nuts.

Alke
07-19-2004, 06:44 PM
I personally think it's better to eat a diet that's 95% ideal, and stick with it for a long time, than to eat 100% perfectly but only stick it out a month.

agreed, awesome sentence!