PDA

View Full Version : whole chicken good for you?

thajeepster
07-18-2004, 07:52 PM
I know how everyone swears by the boneless skinless chicken breasts, but is eating from a whole chicken just as good as long as you stick to the white meat and no skin?

jimmyD
07-18-2004, 08:42 PM
from what ive read and seen is its all the same. of course the white is better than the dark for ya. and the key is to not cook it with the skin or fat even on it. trim it all first. now to tell you my xperience... at first i bought the "cheaper" with the fat/skin/bones still on it. what i noticed after weighing when i got done trimming it was that it was actually cheaper most of the time to buy it already boneless. hope that helps alittle.

Augury
07-19-2004, 06:21 AM
chicken is chicken.

take off the skin and the obvious "jelly" fat and you have a very dense protein source that tastes great. cook it with garlic and lemon and you will love yourself for reading this.

I was a little confused by the "eat the white meat and not the dark". The difference (in fowl - and in truth between any animals but its noticable in fowl more) between white and dark meat is that its either fast twitch or slow twitch muscle. Thats it. its no less "good" than the white. Its just composed of different muscle fibers and different vascularity.

Eat it all :) S'good for ya.

Augs

Aspect
07-19-2004, 07:10 AM
What Augury said.

Out of interest, the dark meat has a worse reputation than the white because you don't get dark meat in nice large chunks (e.g. breasts) - the dark meat is invariably from smaller muscles like the thigh. There's therefore more fat surrounding the muscle (if you compare a breast to a thigh, there's more fat in the thigh). However, if you get rid of the obvious fat from the thigh, it's totally fine.

I also totally agree with the lemon and garlic vibe - making me hungry already :). Add in some thyme and bay leaves, roast it up and gimme the whole chicken - I'd be in heaven :).

Scott S
07-19-2004, 04:43 PM
I think my favorite part has to be the meat under the shoulder blades -- so tender and juicy, a lot like duck. :D

jimmyD
07-19-2004, 04:59 PM
is good to know- I have always thought the dark meat had more fat or maybe that was cholestrol? anyway im gald to see this post due to id take dark meat over the white anyday!