PDA

View Full Version : Do you refill and drink out of the same water bottle?

dsuh
07-19-2004, 12:43 AM
If you do, I recommend you check this out...

http://woai.com/troubleshooters/story.aspx?content_id=619D7553-E2F1-48FC-8F56-915A595D37F8

Augury
07-19-2004, 06:04 AM
Thanks for that. Interesting.

I really dont fancy the idea of tasting bleach in my water either....

hmm. Guess ill be stealing more bottles of friends more regularly.

Augs

Shao-LiN
07-19-2004, 09:36 AM
You don't taste it if you rinse it out well enough. Just used to clean it.

geoffgarcia
07-19-2004, 10:01 AM
its not much of a logical leap.
my mother kinda hammered this into me since I was like 5 so maybe its just me that think its obvious...

David
07-19-2004, 10:40 AM
bull**** I say!

I always refill my Aquafina bottle with tap water. Been doing it for over 5 years now and I'm still here aren't I?! :omg:

*drinks some water from his used water bottle* :alcoholic

I do buy a new bottle maybe once every three months.

AND I have never been sick where I "spend the rest of the weekend in the restroom."

PS. Wasn't there a guy on here who for years drank nothing but bottled water and when he finally drank tap water again he became very ill? :confused:

:micro:

manowar669
07-19-2004, 11:36 AM
I've been using the same bottle for 17 months, about 8-10 refills a day (25oz). I maybe washed it 3 times (with soap) in that time. It's constantly being rinsed (refilled, emptied). I don't backwash into it.

If you've ever slept with another human being, you have nothing to fear from a grungy water bottle, or a pretzel that has fallen on the carpet.

meltedtime
07-19-2004, 11:54 AM
17 months Wow. That is one well used bottle. Using the info from that article, I would guess that you have passed the toilet and are now drinking straight from the Love Canal. :drooling:

Personally, I reuse about one a week. A buy a case of water for 3 bucks and refill one bottle at work from the water coolers. Usually toss it by the weekend.

melt

Allyrulez
07-19-2004, 12:05 PM
If you fill your bottle up at the gym, theres so much chlorine in buisness water that you shouldnt have to worry

Holto
07-19-2004, 12:22 PM
PS. Wasn't there a guy on here who for years drank nothing but bottled water and when he finally drank tap water again he became very ill? :

yep thats me

I drink only reverse osmosis so my body no longer makes the anti-bodies to deal with the bacteria in spring water and tap water

I wash my bottles with Hydrogen Peroxide

and just to add in here we take in some bacteria in allmost all of our food

the hydrochloric acid in our stomachs neturalizes most of it and we don't notice it

you could take in a ton of bacteria you won't notice it unless it makes you sick

but...your immune system has to work to neutralize it and it could be directing those energy resources to doing things we're more into like recovering from a workout

AllUp
07-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Alarming.

I actually use a gatorade bottle. They have wide lids so you can use a coffee pot cleaning scrubby to hit it w/antibacterial soap. I clean it roughly every 2-3 days in the evening and then close it after dried.

I've often thought about that as the people w/small lid bottles (i.e normal water boddles & soda bottles) just rinse theirs out. Usually freaks me out thinkin about it. Same way I get when I see someone not was their hands post-restroom. Then they go take a drink out of their nasty water bottle and grab it with their potty hand. eeew.
:/

buffzilla
07-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Bacteria is good for you. If your imune system has nothing to do it will turn its attention to harmless things like food and pollen - this is what an allergic reaction is. This effects kids with developing immune systems in particular. A healthly person shouldn't worry about bacterial hygene.

David
07-19-2004, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I agree with Buffzilla.

That's why when you have kids they tell you to get a pet, like a dog or something, because they bring in lots of bacteria from outside and kids get used to it.

_-_v_-_
07-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Bacteria is good for you. If your imune system has nothing to do it will turn its attention to harmless things like food and pollen - this is what an allergic reaction is. This effects kids with developing immune systems in particular. A healthly person shouldn't worry about bacterial hygene.

Allergies are about a good deal more than this, my friend.

Trust me.

pruneman
07-19-2004, 03:02 PM
I live by the Hygiene Hypothesis

...but only cause I'm lazy :p

russia
07-19-2004, 03:14 PM

The way I understood it, many allergies are genetic in nature.

_-_v_-_
07-19-2004, 03:30 PM
Russia: You got that right :)

<-------------------is fatally allergic to all dairy products, nut products, shellfish, most fruit, some vegetables, and a few other random things (grains); also has severe asthma-triggering allergies to all pollen-producing plants and fur-bearing animals.

buffzilla
07-19-2004, 04:28 PM
The way I understood it, many allergies are genetic in nature.
Of course it's partially genetic but: the number of allergy sufferers has increased dramatically in the west in recent times and don't give me any of that pollution crap. Pollution in our cities was much worse in the 19th century than it is now.

I have a severe genetic allergy to peanuts (my twin brother also has the same problem). The point is if I wasn't living in such a clean house it would probably not be as severe. The anaphalaptic shock that results when I eat peanuts is an auto-immune reaction - this is a fact.