PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Hungry

Punky
07-20-2004, 02:40 PM
I'm on a cutting diet. If I feel hungry is this a sign that my body is adjusting to the new lowered caloric intake, and thus a positive thing OR does it mean my body is going into starvation mode and thus a negative thing???

Thanks!

Stacy

pruneman
07-20-2004, 04:49 PM
I do not think that hunger is an accurate reflection of caloric needs. There are a number of tricks that you can play on your body to control hunger. An insulin spike can make you feel hungry. Thus, eating a diet rich in fiberous low GI carbs rather than high GI carbs can help control hunger. Fat intake also affects hunger and satiety. Fats are typically more satiating than the other macronutrients. Ingesting fat slows gastric emptying (as does protein) and causes cholecystekinin (CCK) to be released; both of which are involved in satiety. High levels of stomach acid can also create feelings of hunger. An example where stomach acid causes hunger pangs is eating directly before going to bed. Stomach acid is released during the night and causes morning hunger pangs. Hydration affects hunger as well, but I do not know the mechanism.

In short, I do not feel that hunger is (always) an accurate reflection of your caloric needs. Hunger pangs can usually be avoided by following a healthy diet and eating regularly. Sharp hunger pangs/sugar cravings (eg a hypoglycemic episode) should not be ignored; they should be delt with by eating a small snack rather than a large meal. A small snack brings blood sugar levels back to normal and allows you to satisfy your hunger pang without going overboard.

Sorry...I got a little OT. Hope you find some useful information in there. :p

Punky
07-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Thanks spoonman...forgot all about that CCK stuff ;)