PDA

View Full Version : NHE Diet - Any of you tried it?

Roid_Rage
07-21-2004, 02:06 PM
I've been on the NHE diet for for 10 days now...the first 7 are pretty grueling but worth it. Can't have more than 20 grams of active carbs each day (Carbs minus fibre). The first 7 days I wasn't even training to rest my tendonitis and I was still losing fat. Started training again this Monday. Everything feels tighter and I lost alot of my stomach and love handles considering it's been 10 days.

I'm sure some of you have heard of it as it is comparable to the Anabolic Diet. If any of you have tried it I'd like to hear the results you got and if you haven't here is a basic outline

Days 1-7 - No more than 20 grams of active carbs/day, high protein, moderate fat. Once you complete this you never have to do it again (unless you stray from the diet later down the road).

Days 8-9 - Same thing but you can have 30-60 grams of active carbs/day

Day 10 - Carb load day. Last Two meals have at least 60 grams of active carbs each (Men) Women have at least 40 grams each meal. Each of the carb loads must not contain more than 20 grams of added protein or 20 grams of added fat, in order to enhance the absorbtion of glycogen. Up until the last two carb load meals have under 30 grams of active carbs along with high protein/moderate fat that day.

Now after this you cycle your carb load days would be every 3/4 days. So your next carb load day would be day 14, then 17 then 21, etc.. with all days in between mirroring days 8 and 9.

Postworkout meal consists of low-carb protein shake with 1 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Says the 2 grams of saturated fat promotes testosterone production.

They're is also an outline for gaining mass, that involves taking in as much good fat as you can, instead of moderate fat (Cutting phase) this allows you to gain mass without gaining much fat as you would on high carb diet.

Anyway interesting diet, working well for me and thought I would share this with you all.

Gigante66
07-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Looks pretty good. I would be interested in finding out more. From the looks of it you must buy the book much like UD2. I bought ud2, don't think i want to buy another book. Do you know if there is a more in-debth layout of the plan somewhere online? or only in the book?

YatesNightBlade
07-22-2004, 06:09 AM
Be interesting to see how much muscle you lose.

Roid_Rage
07-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Looks pretty good. I would be interested in finding out more. From the looks of it you must buy the book much like UD2. I bought ud2, don't think i want to buy another book. Do you know if there is a more in-debth layout of the plan somewhere online? or only in the book?

Gigante66 I have not have found a more in depth layout anywhere, but I do have the book. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. The author has a website with some Q&A's which may help you. Check it out at www.extique.com (http://www.extique.com)

Roid_Rage
07-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Be interesting to see how much muscle you lose.

I first thought the same thing, low carbs = muscle shrinkage. But I feel great, look better and feel tigher than when I was consuming excess carbs. The thing is your body taps into your fat reserves for energy, thus your body becoming a fat-burning one rather than a sugar burning one.

Excess carbs do blunt some anabolic hormones. So instead of completely eliminating carbs entirely you simply time them during the week, shocking your body. Getting enough protein and the right fats, along with vitamins and minerals and a occasional carb load twice a week will optimize your hormone output. It all makes so much sense when you read it.

It's similiar to the Anabolic and Metabolic Diets but I think this one is more do-able and less excruciating. I'm not saying this will work for everyone but for me it worked really well. Even on the first 7 days I noticed my fat melting in my midsection, it was an awsome feeling. Every morning I wake up with my stomach flatter and flatter. If any of you are gonna buy a book I would recommend this one as it's filled with tons of information and cites many, many studies done on hormonal effects, etc.

David
07-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Double R - I have a couple important questions to ask you.

what are your stats?

bodyfat %?

how many pounds do you plan on loosing?

have you gone insane from eating so few carbs?

the doc
07-24-2004, 08:52 AM
this diet works well. I use it as the basis for my last several cuts

David
07-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Days 8-9 - Same thing but you can have 30-60 grams of active carbs/day

Day 10 - Carb load day. Last Two meals have at least 60 grams of active carbs .

Just a quick question - days 8-9 you are eating 30-60g carbs, then on carb load day, day 10, you are eating 30-60g carbs PLUS 120g carbs (from the two meals)...or just 120g carbs total for the day? :confused:

Franco
07-27-2004, 04:41 AM
this diet works well. I use it as the basis for my last several cuts

What he said

YatesNightBlade
07-27-2004, 04:55 AM
I don't understand this. Does this diet not include any calorie counting at all ?

Carbs are muscle sparing.

Franco
07-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Its a personal preferenace to count calories. From my experience I had better results with counting the cals

Your latter statement draws upon the inclusion of the frequent carb ups.

The actual site of the book and that Rob Faigin has more info is based at www.extique.con

Roid_Rage
07-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Double R - I have a couple important questions to ask you.

what are your stats?

bodyfat %?

how many pounds do you plan on loosing?

have you gone insane from eating so few carbs?

I was about 250 when I started (I'm 6'2.5) and I'm down to about 240 now. I feel great, strength has not diminished (This is an individual thing - may not be the same for you) The reason being before I started this diet I Was only consuming fruits and veggies everyday (during the day) and carb loading every night for one meal.

I don't have access to accurate bf% I wish I did, so I'm just going by the mirror and how my clothes are fitting after they come out of the dryer :p

I didnt initially set out to lose x amount of pounds...just to get a bit leaner...then do the mass phase the book outlines in a few weeks.

LoL...and ya it's pretty excruciating, consuming that little amount of carbs...but after the 3rd or 4th day you're body adapts like a Borg drone.

I was a little disappointed there were no real detailed workouts for optimal fat burning outlined in the book, but anyway I follow the Max-OT workouts from the AST website which I love. (4-6 reps, 30-40 minute workouts) But the author does mention that high intensity/short duration workouts do raise metabolic activity post workout more than anything else, which Max-OT does for me.

Roid_Rage
07-27-2004, 05:27 PM
I don't understand this. Does this diet not include any calorie counting at all ?

Carbs are muscle sparing.

I also believe a moderate to high fat diet is muscle sparing as well. Carbs are useful but I believe are overated after reading this book.

Roid_Rage
07-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Just a quick question - days 8-9 you are eating 30-60g carbs, then on carb load day, day 10, you are eating 30-60g carbs PLUS 120g carbs (from the two meals)...or just 120g carbs total for the day? :confused:

Up until the last two carb load meals have under 30 grams of active carbs along with high protein/moderate fat that day. So you would have <30 grams of active carbs during the day, then your last two meals will consist of at LEAST 60 grams each or you may combine both (which I did this week actually) and have at least 120 grams that meal. Make sure these carb loads consist of 70% starchy carbs, the rest can be sugary carbs. Minimum amount of meals each day all week is 5.

I really recommend this book, it has so much information it will blow your mind.

By the way the best veggies to help you burn fat listed in the book(Thermogenic/Carb Ratio)

Asparagus
Broccoli
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Celery
Lettuce
Mushroom
Radicchio
Radish
Spinach

Same for Fruits:

Apples
Apricots
Blueberries
Cherries
Grapes
Peaches
Pears
Raspberries
Strawberries

Not-so good fruits (Inferior thermogenic/carb ratio)

Bananas
Dates
Dried Fruit
Figs
Raisins
Watermelon

By the way as I'm sure you all know, excess protein will cause insulin secretion so make sure you keep your protein per meal under 50 grams.

That's pretty much the diet, like I said I really love it and recommend everyone try it if you would like a good strict plan to follow to lose bodyfat.

David
08-04-2004, 03:40 PM
I have been on the NHE diet for over a week now and I already gained an extra hole on my belt. :D

Double R - on workout days how many carbs are you eating postworkout? I understand it's 30-60 but does that include post workout carbs?

Also, do you have any info on the NHE bulking diet?

Thanks, buddy.

Franco
08-07-2004, 03:32 AM
Triple P, for post workout you don't have carbs post workout. It advocates Protein (in the form of whey) and fat (i.e from Olive oil, Flax oil etc)

The bulking diet is pretty much the same though higher in overall calories. It tends to be stricter on non carb loads days wheren you keep the active carbs under 30g. As the overall cals are higher the carb load meals are going to be bigger. If you're just starting out it recommends that you keep each carb load meal under 20g of fat and 20g of protein

Another major factor to take into account for the bodybuilders diet is that you do require the surplus calories and on the non carb loads days depending on your calorie requirements you could be using 200g-300g of fat for the cals, that's why it stresses that blood work should be done.

Roid_Rage
08-09-2004, 11:14 AM
I have been on the NHE diet for over a week now and I already gained an extra hole on my belt. :D

Double R - on workout days how many carbs are you eating postworkout? I understand it's 30-60 but does that include post workout carbs?

Also, do you have any info on the NHE bulking diet?

Thanks, buddy.

No Problem TripleP! FAngel answered your questions perfectly. Good to hear you are doing well on the diet. How was your first seven days? The only thing that kept me going was the fact that my belly was getting flatter and flatter and that my pants were starting to fit MUCH better (am no longer afraid of ripping them getting in the car).

Like FAngel mentioned the bulk diet is all about consuming as much fat as you can take it. Hate to tell you but this definitely involves swigging...yes swigging good oils. It can make you gag at first but you will get used to it. What I do is put some oil in my mouth then wash it down with ice cold water...it sort of masks the taste. On non-carb days you keep ur active carb consumption under 30 grams so that your insulin sensitivity is a little higher for your carb days which consists of 2 meals of 100g each at least and you can not combine the two. You need to trigger insulin spikes at two different sittings.

Just from my experience so far, I prefer to carb load on non-training days because I train at night and prefer to consume protein afterwards to help with recovery. So for instance I would train every day except for Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday and carb load on Wednesday and either weekend day. Keep us posted on how you're doing each week if you can, I am very interested to hear.