PDA

View Full Version : napping and metabolism

thajeepster
07-21-2004, 04:19 PM
can napping have a negative effect on my metabolism, i always thought it did, which is why i try to stay awake all day and just sleep at night, but i was wondering if this was just a myth or not?

thetopdog
07-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Getting in enough sleep it more important than any negative effects napping may have on your metabolism, if you need to sleep, don't be afraid to take naps, I take a nap almost every day

Don Birnam
07-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Don't you have a job? Not being facetious, just wondering because my job prevents me from napping...

thetopdog
07-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Don't you have a job? Not being facetious, just wondering because my job prevents me from napping...
(If you were referring to me)
Well I'm a university student, but I work in a lab from 8-4 Monday-Friday during the summer. I like to go out and enjoy myself in the summertime though, because I don't do any partying at school at all, so I go out almost every night. So I usually sleep from about 2am-7am then again when i get home from work from maybe 5-9pm, I know it's not the best way to get some sleep it, but it's better than nothing. I have made some very good gains sleeping this way, but I know I could have made better gains if I actually slept properly. Bodybuilding is a very important part of my life, but it's not everything and I need to go out in order to keep sane

kozen
07-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Hey the topdog you go to princeton??

YatesNightBlade
07-22-2004, 06:07 AM
can napping have a negative effect on my metabolism, i always thought it did, which is why i try to stay awake all day and just sleep at night, but i was wondering if this was just a myth or not?

Not sure about the direct effect on the metabolism, but napping will cause a release of Growth Hormone. GH limits the storage of bodyfat and enables the body to use stored bodyfat more effectivley.

Anthony
07-22-2004, 06:19 AM
Naps rock. http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992328

Shao-LiN
07-22-2004, 10:34 AM

Do you work so long that you can't nap after work? When I was working, I'd be dead tired and would take like a 1 hour nap when I got home.

moklepaul
07-22-2004, 07:45 PM
I like to nap when I can. My job involves long drives sometimes, so if I'm the passenger I'll always sleep.

Yesterday I worked from 4am to 12am. Yes, 12am. In that time, I slept for about 2 hours while someone else drove.

Vido
07-22-2004, 10:49 PM
A nap will do more harm than good, provided it doesn't cut into your nighttime sleep. I know if I take a nap I have a much tougher time falling asleep later.

thetopdog
07-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Hey the topdog you go to princeton??

Yep, do you go there, or know anyone who goes there? I hate that school though, haha, it's not really my kind of place