PDA

View Full Version : gatorade question

hoon1124
07-22-2004, 12:08 AM
well i know water is the best to drink and all but lately i've been getting sick of drinkign nothign but water and i find myself thirsty very often lately cuz of cardio i guess. anyway so is it bad for me to drink gatorade?

emjlr3
07-22-2004, 06:25 AM
no...but like you said water is better.....try and some lemon to your water and little sugar....it gets the same kind of taste as gatorade with much less sugar added. in any case you shouldnt get sick of water...water is the s h i t

pruneman
07-22-2004, 07:00 AM
You could always have an occasional diet soda or some crystal light instead. They do not have as many calories.

manowar669
07-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Gatorade has a lot of calories with virtually no nutrititional value, it would add up quick if you drank several servings a day. You shouldn't be thirsty, drink plenty of water and you won't be thirsty. Maybe you are hungry, or bored, and are mistaking the feeling for thirst.

HemiVision
07-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Gatorade has a lot of calories with virtually no nutrititional value

What do you mean by "no nutritional value" ?

pruneman
07-22-2004, 10:33 AM
What do you mean by "no nutritional value" ?

It has no vitamins/minerals, protein, fiber, EFAs. It is just sugar and some electrolytes. Gatorade is decent for PWO because of the sugar, but it is not the best choice even then IMO.

HemiVision
07-22-2004, 10:51 AM
It has no vitamins/minerals, protein, fiber, EFAs. It is just sugar and some electrolytes. Gatorade is decent for PWO because of the sugar, but it is not the best choice even then IMO.

What would be a better alternative for getting some quick carbs PWO?

pruneman
07-22-2004, 10:53 AM
if you are using a PWO shake, i would suggest dextrose/maltodextrin w/ the protein powder of your choice.

HemiVision
07-22-2004, 01:47 PM
if you are using a PWO shake, i would suggest dextrose/maltodextrin w/ the protein powder of your choice.

What makes them more effective? Better bioavailability?

dsuh
07-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Gatorade replenishes your body more than water does.

pruneman
07-22-2004, 03:45 PM
What makes them more effective? Better bioavailability?

The carbohydrate source in gatorade is dextrose and sucrose. Sucrose is not the best choice PWO because it is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose. Fructose is low on the glycemic index and preferentially refills liver glycogen...not muscle glycogen. Dextrose and malto are high gi and will refill muscle glycogen as well as liver glycogen. Gatorade is not a bad option PWO, but it is not the best. as far as drinking it at other times of the day...avoid it.

manowar669
07-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Couldn't have said it better.