PDA

View Full Version : Calorie Timing

Y2A
07-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Is it a good idea to time your calories around a workout, or is it better to just eat evenly throughout the day? For example, if you want 3000 calories over 5 meals with a workout after meal 3, would you want:

600,600,600,600,600 = 3000 or
500,500,500,1000,500 = 3000

... if that makes any sense to you ;)

Jasonl
07-22-2004, 07:35 AM
I think it is better to time them evenly throughout the day. This way your macros can be a little more balanced as well.
That's just my personal preference though.

ryuage
07-22-2004, 09:17 AM
:withstupi

I tend to base majority of my carbs around my workout though.

pruneman
07-22-2004, 10:41 AM
I would think there would be some benefit to eating your largest meal PWO to maximize glucose uptake/glycogen synthesis. Not really sure though

Y2A
07-22-2004, 10:47 AM
I would think there would be some benefit to eating your largest meal PWO to maximize glucose uptake/glycogen synthesis. Not really sure though

I thought that might be the case, but I wanted to make sure. :) As a follow up, do your goals (cut/bulk) have any bearing on the answer?

pruneman
07-22-2004, 10:58 AM
I thought that might be the case, but I wanted to make sure. :) As a follow up, do your goals (cut/bulk) have any bearing on the answer?

In general...no. Not for me. I think that you should make your PWO meal your largest meal unless you are doing some sort of depletion workout. PWO nutrition would also depend on pre-workout nutrition. I don't think you would need quite as much PWO if you had a large pre-workout meal. I personally like to time it so that I eat my largest meal after I train.

Adam
07-22-2004, 11:33 AM
I get almost 1/2 my daily cals between my pre/during/pwo shake.
My diet is set so that alot of my cals come by workout.

Vido
07-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Your metabolism is boosted after a workout and your body is starved for nutrients. I believe that if you put more of your calories pre/during/post-workout you can take advantage of this and perhaps eat more than you would if you spaced your calories out, without gaining any extra fat.

Y2A
07-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Your metabolism is boosted after a workout and your body is starved for nutrients. I believe that if you put more of your calories pre/during/post-workout you can take advantage of this and perhaps eat more than you would if you spaced your calories out, without gaining any extra fat.

The calories have to go somewhere though, right? If not fat, will it go to muscle (assuming a carb/protein mix after the workout)?

Vido
07-23-2004, 09:52 AM
The calories have to go somewhere though, right? If not fat, will it go to muscle (assuming a carb/protein mix after the workout)?

Well, I claimed that the workout boosts your metabolism. Asssuming this is true, then you're burning more calories than you would normally in the period AFTER the workout. In turn, that means you can eat more without getting fat, than if you had your calories earlier in the day when your metabolism was at normal speed.

The calories do have to go somewhere, and given that after a workout your muscles are starving for nutrients it's a pretty fair assumption that they go to muscle (refilling glycogen, putting an end to the state of catabolism your body's in, and beginning to re-build the muscle).