PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting over clean plateau

Ja113
07-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Hey folks...

I've been cleaning for a bit and I've hit a plateau...I'm at 210 consistently and 215 is my 1RM (when the moon is in a certain orbit and the stars are in the right place yada yada yada)....

For you experienced guys out there...what are some of the things that you do to improve your pulls?

I was thinking of either really working on my hang cleans (as I'm thinking that's the limiting factor) or going away from cleans and working on my snatches as their similar movements!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Paul Stagg
07-22-2004, 12:50 PM
JOE!!!!!

Good to see ya!

Do you know for sure where your weakness is?

WillKuenzel
07-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Like Paul asked, where do you think the weakness is? I've found improving my deadlift has helped my powerclean considerably. I have the problem now of racking it out. That's mainly due to wrist flexibility. So I'm working more on front squats and few other things to help in that area.

Power pulls, hang pulls, maybe even some upright rows could help.

Ja113
07-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Hey Paul....what's up? I have been lurking, just haven't had a ton of time to post as I've been real busy at the stations...

anyways, I think it's a combination of second pull, I'm chicken and lack of flexibility. When I attempt 225lbs, I actually get it as high as the bottom of my ribcage which is high enough to get under...but I'm not ready to make that kind of commitment yet...additionally, I find that in order to get low enough, I have to 'jump' into a wider stance to get deep enough...

Paul Stagg
07-23-2004, 07:24 AM
I'm not an Oly lifter, so I'm certianly no expert, but it sounds like you might want to spend some time perfecting form.

To work on the second pull, I'd be doing hang cleans.

As always, keep working the heck out of your P-Chain.

Hopefully someone with more O-lifting smarts will chime in.

johnnytang24
07-23-2004, 08:22 AM
depending on what your other numbers are, you may wish to either increase your limit strength or your strength-speed. And always work on form.

Ja113
07-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Hey Johnny....

What do you mean by limit strength and strength speed...is that like 1RM and explosiveness?

PowerManDL
07-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Front squats. They'll help with the catch.

Hang cleans might not be a bad idea either.

WillKuenzel
07-23-2004, 04:41 PM
...additionally, I find that in order to get low enough, I have to 'jump' into a wider stance to get deep enough...
Depending on how wide your intial stance is, you'll have to do that. If you start with your feet a bit closer when begin to drop under the bar it helps to plant your feet in the squat stance (or front squat stance really). It should be like you are jumping and your feet might actually come off the floor. This insures power to shrug high enough.

johnnytang24
07-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Hey Johnny....

What do you mean by limit strength and strength speed...is that like 1RM and explosiveness?

If you can squat much more than you can clean, you probably need to do more plyometrics and such. If you can clean almost what you can squat, then you need to get stronger.