PDA

View Full Version : ? about diet on cutting

SW
07-22-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm doing my first cut and it's kinda working, kinda not. I was wondering: I know that to maintain muscle, your body has to use up calories. This is why I (and other lifters) have an advantage to cutting fat. Protein rich foods also are usually fat rich, at least the ones I have available. This I think is hindering my cutting. How much protein should I take in order to maintain muscle, but not let it get stored? Should I just let my body use up the fat that I want to lose to do this? Thanks in advance.

WillKuenzel
07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
On a cut fat isn't the enemy. At least not in food. Healthy fats play a vital role so don't try to cut them out. Fish oil, flax seed oil, olive oil, all are a daily staple in my diet.

I'm eating somewhere in the neighborhood of 350g of protein. That's somewhere around 1.5g/lb of bodyweight for me. Chicken and protein powder are the biggest sources of my protein. Fish and beef are next in that order. Carbs stay around 100g and the fats (pretty much all healthy fats) finish up the rest.

SW
07-22-2004, 05:22 PM
On a cut fat isn't the enemy. At least not in food. Healthy fats play a vital role so don't try to cut them out. Fish oil, flax seed oil, olive oil, all are a daily staple in my diet.

I'm eating somewhere in the neighborhood of 350g of protein. That's somewhere around 1.5g/lb of bodyweight for me. Chicken and protein powder are the biggest sources of my protein. Fish and beef are next in that order. Carbs stay around 100g and the fats (pretty much all healthy fats) finish up the rest.

I'm going (as of tomorrow) be on about a 2100 calorie food intake. I think that my main protein source from now on will be fish too, which is readily accesible to me. 2100 probably sounds like a little much, but keep in mind that it's my first cut and I'm still working my way into it. I didn't think I'd like it at all, and I don't lol. I used to eat everything in sight that wasn't too unhealthy. What a change. I think I was eating anywhere from 3000 to 4000 calories a day. Since I don't have a gym accesible to me any more than once a week, I quickly realized that I had to cut a little this summer because I immediatley started gaining fat as a result of 2/3 of my workout time gone. I'm running too and staying active on the farm.

Vido
07-22-2004, 07:44 PM
2100 probably sounds like a little much, but keep in mind that it's my first cut and I'm still working my way into it. I didn't think I'd like it at all, and I don't lol. I used to eat everything in sight that wasn't too unhealthy. What a change. I think I was eating anywhere from 3000 to 4000 calories a day.

I don't know if this is what you're doing or not, but if you're dropping your calories from 3-4K down to 2100 all at once that's not a good idea. You need to decrease them slowly.

AllUp
07-23-2004, 07:16 AM
Going that low at once isn't really advisable unless you're planning a weekend refeed. Better off dropping em slowly, it will preserve LBM which in turn burns more calories in the long run :)

AllUp
07-23-2004, 07:25 AM
Protein rich foods also are usually fat rich, at least the ones I have available.
Go for chicken, fish, turkey or lean cuts of beef. If you ditch the beef I'd supp with creatine. For no fat I would go for veggies.

How much protein should I take in order to maintain muscle, but not let it get stored?
0.8g-1g/lb of BW should be ok since if you hit the gym only once a week.

Vido
07-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Go for chicken, fish, turkey or lean cuts of beef. If you ditch the beef I'd supp with creatine. For no fat I would go for veggies.

0.8g-1g/lb of BW should be ok since if you hit the gym only once a week.

I don't think beef contains enough creatine to say that one should either consume it OR the powder. If you want creatine in your diet, take the powder...unless you're eating whole cows all the time.

Protein, and more importantly, a positive nitrogen balance, is crucial when cutting. The number of times one goes to the gym per week has no relevance to the amount of protein one should be consuming. If anything, he could get by on less carbs if this was the case because his glycogen stores aren't being depleted. I would not go below 1g protein/lb of bodyweight when cutting, at an absolute minimum.

AllUp
07-23-2004, 10:44 AM
I don't think beef contains enough creatine to say that one should either consume it OR the powder. If you want creatine in your diet, take the powder...unless you're eating whole cows all the time.

Will's initial quote "Protein rich foods also are usually fat rich, at least the ones I have available." led me to believe he was eating a lot of burgers. :D

If so, that would amount to roughly 2-3g creatine/lb of beef. I am not certain of the content in fish or poultry at the moment, as i'm off to lunch :). I believe creatine taken in solid form has a longer effective period, only not as potent short-term as the powder. :)

...unless you're eating whole cows all the time.

LOL.

SW
07-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks alot for the replies guys. It's opened my eyes. I kinda do feel light headed today cause I've only eaten a little scalloped potatoes, 1 can of sprite, one small piece of meat and a bannana. That's breakfast and lunch. Oh yeah and two big glasses of water. Thanks for the heads up Vido about going form 3-4 K to 2100 being a little dangerous all at once. I'll eat some more today along with my afternoon snack and dinner. Lol I've never eaten a whole cow but I love hamburgers. Allup, I didn't know that a fast cut would take more lbm off than a slower one. Lol just shows how much I know about my first cut. Anything else anybody wants to say? The posts so far have been helpfull and great!

shootermcgavin7
07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
1 can of sprite

I, personally, would cut out the Sprite.