PDA

View Full Version : Female BF% numbers..?

Augury
07-23-2004, 03:48 AM
Anyone know what a good bodyfat is for women? I ask becasue I have a friend who wishes to diet and train down but neither of us have any idea what a target BF for a lean girl may be. This isnt fomr a competition or anything...just to get into good shape. So for me a good BF is 8%. Whats the equivalent in a female?

Augs

AllUp
07-23-2004, 07:03 AM
They can usually get to low-mid teens before they start looking like dude-stuff. 14-16% looks pretty tyte IMHO. Going real low for a female may not be the best as it will reduce their 'cup'(i'm at work) size.

Paul Stagg
07-23-2004, 07:29 AM
Depends on the person, but generally somewhere in the mid to high teens would be where most women look great (assuming they don't want to compete in physique contests)

Augury
07-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys....thats pretty much what i thought. I just wanted some more experienced second opinions :)

Cheers again

emjlr3
07-23-2004, 08:01 AM
my girlfriend just had hers tested and it was 21%......she looks great so i would think anything in the low twenties is fine.....i guess if your looking to be a swimsuit model shoot for mid high teens or so

Augury
07-23-2004, 08:17 AM
my friend has saeetled for 18% as a goal. when she gets close...she cal always stop short if she likes how 20% looks. or whatever. I just didnt want to be trying to get her down to 15% and discover thats the equivalent of a guy trying to get to 6%. I just wanted to find her a target thats going to be achievable but also make her look great. i didnt want to make a schoolboy error.

Appreciate the input :)

Augs

ryuage
07-23-2004, 09:26 AM
15% seems nice... :)

AllUp
07-23-2004, 10:04 AM
my friend has saeetled for 18% as a goal. when she gets close...she cal always stop short if she likes how 20% looks. or whatever.
I believe at 18% she will look better BF-wise than the average female her age that doesn't hit the gym. For females I believe norm BF% is about [20 to 23].

I just didnt want to be trying to get her down to 15% and discover thats the equivalent of a guy trying to get to 6%. I just wanted to find her a target thats going to be achievable but also make her look great.
At 15% I believe it would be comparable to a male at roughly 7-8%, you would most likely see an ab-line.

raniali
07-23-2004, 11:17 AM
even though a girl may look 'tight' at lower bodyfats - it's unadvisable to maintain a leanness below 14-15% because it disrupts all those naturally occurring female things. as stated before - ~18% is a decent bodyfat, readily attainable, healthy and pleasing to behold.

mikah
07-23-2004, 03:41 PM
But Im 18% and I think I still would like to lose more bodyfat. :(
If its slow I think I could maintain it at 14-15%