PDA

View Full Version : Best of the best workout meal?

slick4788
07-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Totally new as you can see, what's the best pre-workout meal you guys think that will give you bursts of energy? How long do you guys take it before the actual workout?

I know this might be a repost, sorry about that, just trying to get everyone's opinion.

Jasonl
07-24-2004, 04:20 PM
I like 25g whey+ 25g of dextrose.

slick4788
07-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Well some people say consume alot of carbs and protein 2-3 hrs before workout, and some people say like an hour before workout you take loads of protein but not carbs?

Jasonl
07-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Dextrose is a simple carb.

David
07-24-2004, 06:34 PM
I like 25g whey+ 25g of dextrose.

How much dextrose should I be using post workout? Is there any kind of guideline I should be following?

A: It should probably vary with the volume of training. I estimated in my first book (The Ketogenic Diet) that for every 2 sets of training, you'd need about 5 grams of carbs to refill the glycogen depleted and this can be used as a starting point. So if you do a 24 set workout, you'd divide by 2 to get 12 and multiply by 5, to get 60 grams of carbs to refill the muscle glycogen that you used during the activity. Alternately, you can use a more average amount of 1-1.5 g carbs/kg lean body mass (about .5-.75 g carbs per pound of lean body mass) or so.

Written by Lyle McDonald

Jasonl
07-24-2004, 07:16 PM
How much dextrose should I be using post workout? Is there any kind of guideline I should be following?

A: It should probably vary with the volume of training. I estimated in my first book (The Ketogenic Diet) that for every 2 sets of training, you'd need about 5 grams of carbs to refill the glycogen depleted and this can be used as a starting point. So if you do a 24 set workout, you'd divide by 2 to get 12 and multiply by 5, to get 60 grams of carbs to refill the muscle glycogen that you used during the activity. Alternately, you can use a more average amount of 1-1.5 g carbs/kg lean body mass (about .5-.75 g carbs per pound of lean body mass) or so.

Written by Lyle McDonaldHe was looking for pre-workout. In any case, I do take 50g of dextrose post-workout.