PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil recommendations?

luke77
07-25-2004, 10:20 PM
Hi,
I'm looking to add fish oil to my diet for the omega 3's, and was wondering what brand is the best and cheapest. I found this one made by optimum nutrition which seems pretty cheap, it's like $3.50 for 100 1000 mg softgels, but there are a lot of other brands that are a lot more expensive. Is this because there is variance in the quality of the product? Like do the more expensive ones have a greater percentage of omega 3's? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Luke

ecliptic
07-26-2004, 03:39 PM
I would compare labels with the expensive ones and see if you notice any differences.

geoffgarcia
07-26-2004, 03:44 PM
supplement companies can put anything on their labels, there is no regulation.
There are consumer reports out there that test various supplements and their contents, they have these for fish oils. If your that concerned you can look them up and buy their reports.
As a user its impossible to tell the difference, but thats not to say your body can't.

Differences in fish oils are in what omega 3's 6's and 9's they contain, the source, what the coating is made of and the clout a brand carries.
Best is relative to what you think is valuable.

Vido
07-26-2004, 06:04 PM
On a thread a while back, I remember someone mentioning that you should avoid the fish oil caps you can buy at Costco. I don't think they gave a reason as to why though. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Holto
07-26-2004, 09:14 PM
if it dosen't say "Molecularly Distilled" right on the bottle I wouldn't buy it

other than that I would likely buy the cheapest

Vido
07-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Why's that Holto?

geoffgarcia
07-26-2004, 10:57 PM
vido, because of impurities, mercury, etc...
if your taking a lot of fish oil u'd want to avoid these things if possible.

Also, taking a pill with a higher % of EFA will most likely mean reduced bad things + lower excess fat which tends to be mostly saturated.
If your taking caps on a bulk its not an issue, but if your cutting under 3k calories and taking 10 caps per day at 30% each thats 5 g of saturated fat. Add on a serving or two of whey protein and your at 10g...which is already a significant portion of the daily fats you wanna be consuming.