PDA

View Full Version : tuna taste

LightningandIce
07-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Is there anything you can do to make tuna taste better? I usually eat it plain, but it sickens me and it's actually a chore to eat it. I don't like the taste of mayo, and it's completely unhealthy. Any suggestions?

Genacide
07-26-2004, 01:49 PM
A little lemon or lime juice may do the trick for ya.

geoffgarcia
07-26-2004, 02:02 PM
there are many types of tuna, and within each type each brand has a different flavor and texture, I recommend experimenting with the differences....

Aspect
07-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Add one or more of the following:

Vinegar
Herbs
Spices
Lemon and/or lime juice
Olive oil
Salsa
Red onion
Rocket, watercress, spinach leaves
Bell pepper
Tomato
Cucumber

Just give it some thought. Too many people don't think a meal is healthy unless it's laid out in seperate bits on a plate - there's your protein and there's your carbs and there's your pile of multi-vit's. There's nothing wrong with stuff tasting good. Just experiment, choose any healthy food or any herb or spice (or mixture), and just give it a go.

Davor
07-26-2004, 02:29 PM
The best tasting tuna that i have tried is from Trader Joe's

Get the green can which is Solid White TUna in olive oil

buffzilla
07-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Everything tastes better with oats. Does the bad taste come from all the dolphins that die in tuna fishing?

IdaMAN
07-26-2004, 03:04 PM
What about all the poor oats that died so you can have your oatmeal?

Celery,olive oil,tomatoes,and lemon does wonders for tuna.

Vido
07-26-2004, 03:18 PM
another vote for olive oil

travolante
07-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Frank's Red Hot sauce, a little mayo and chopped onions :drooling:

TOBART
07-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Personally I load it up with mayo in an attempt to get a reasonable amount of calories.

A friend of mine insists that mixing in some pecans is the most delicious thing in the world, I haven't tried this yet.

UKmarkw
07-27-2004, 10:43 AM
I can't stand the taste of it either, so I empty the contents of the can in to a blender add milk, blend it up then just drink it. It still tastes vile but only takes 3 or 4 big gulps to get it down, then I just drink something else to take the taste away.

Allyrulez
07-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Worchester sauce & some spicey hot stuff

very nice, i look forward to each tin

mike107
07-27-2004, 05:20 PM
I've always mixed it with miracle whip (which may be unhealthy), but it tastes OK. Recently I've gotten kinda tired of it though, after eating it that way since I was a little kid, so I've tried tuna with other sauces (i.e. barbecue sauce, ranch). But it still doesn't taste that great to me. So, I haven't eaten it in a while. I need to find something that makes it taste good; help me out.

sandao
07-27-2004, 09:24 PM
My usual recipe for Tuna...tastes pretty good:

1 can Tongol (a fish similar to tuna from Trader Joes). Is actually better looking and tastier than any tuna I've eaten. However it is .99 can. Packed in water, light chunk. With any tuna, I open the lid and leave it there and rinse it out under the tap, squeezing the water out with the lid.

1 spoonful of soyanaise or mayo
1 spoonful of pickle relish
5-7 turns on the pepper grinder
2-5 shakes of salt
couple of dabs of jalepeno pepper sauce (any brand is good but I like Bobby Flay's mesa grill hot sauce)
1/2 a spoonful of Sake Wasabi Mustard (from Trader Joe's) I skip the mustard if I don't have this brand.
1 spoonful of capers (I skip the capers if I don't have the mustard, I don't know why) :)

stir it up. more like mash it up because the tongol is such large chunk. and here's the key, never eat it room temperature...put it in the fridge for an hour....mmmm. spread it on crackers or eat it out of the bowl.

BIG C
07-27-2004, 10:12 PM
I use one can tuna, spoon of light mayo, and spoon full of sweet cubes. Taste pretty good. :thumbup:

BigRic
07-27-2004, 11:18 PM
I can't stand the taste of it either, so I empty the contents of the can in to a blender add milk, blend it up then just drink it. It still tastes vile but only takes 3 or 4 big gulps to get it down, then I just drink something else to take the taste away.

You my friend are teh definition of HARDCORE, thats got to be the grossest thing I've ever heard.

UKmarkw
07-28-2004, 03:46 AM
Gross it may well be, but it's better than eating it!