PDA

View Full Version : Hard gainer needing advice on his diet

Mr. ?
07-26-2004, 02:36 PM
I am starting my second week on the WBB1 routine today. I am currently am at 140lbs and my immediate goal is simply to start gaining weight, not necessarily "get big". My long term goal is to reach 175lbs hopfully accomplishing this within a couple of years. My diet consists of eating 6 meals a day. I logged my first week of food intake. I am averaging between 3200-3500 calories / 400-600 carbs / 150-180 protein daily. I use a weight gainer twice daily to help with the calorie intake. I know my ratios are probably not ideal but I am just starting out. However I want to get on track early. Like I said my main goal is to just put on pounds so I have been concentrating more on the amount of calories I have been taking in. I am not worried in the least about getting fat, I don't think at-least at this point in my life it is something I need to worry about. I have a body fat percentage of 5% and genetics back this up in my family.

My questions are:

Should I be more concerned about just getting as many calories a day as possible or should I place more emphasis on a balance between the cal/carb/pro.

Since calories do play a big part in this, am I taking in enough to even get going or should I be shooting hire? Oh and I want to do this healthy so no McDonalds diet suggestions please. :p

Thanks

YatesNightBlade
07-27-2004, 05:24 AM
I'd ensure you eat at least 30-50g of protein with each meal (6 meals). I wouldn't worry about when you eat it with.

Aspect
07-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Only you will know whether you're eating enough. If you're gaining weight, you're doing it right; if you're staying the same weight, you need to eat more. Keep tracking your food a while longer, and weigh yourself, and adjust as necessary. But you sound like you're at least in the right ballpark at 3200-3500. Once you're eating enough (but not too much; don't start eating crazy amounts), then if you train hard on a good program (which WBB1 is) you'll gain muscle. It really is that simple, at least for the first couple of years.

You've got the right idea about not obsessing with the breakdown of your calories etc. As long as you eat enough protein (and 150-180g per day is fine), then it comes down to cals, pure and simple. Eating healthy foods is good too, again exactly the right attitude.

The main thing is patience. You've said yourself that it might take a year or two to put on 35lbs. So that means you're looking at a gain of about 0.5lbs per week. Particularly in the early stages, people are sometimes discouraged by this slow rate of gain and fall by the wayside. If you monitor your intake and weight for the next few weeks and can put on a pound or two, then you're on the right track. Just keep going. Over time you'll need to gradually eat more as you grow.

Any time you come to a halt and can't gain any weight for say 3-4 weeks, and aren't getting stronger in the gym, then look to add a little to your diet. It doesn't need to be much, maybe 100-200 cals per day, but these stalling points are signs you need more food.

Consistency and patience are the keys. If you have time I'd suggest you skim through aka23's journal; look at the first page, and pick a few pages through the journal. That is an excellent example of someone who ate and trained consistently, gradually nudging the calories up over time, and stuck with it. The result? 40lbs of lean mass gain in a year and a half or so, and he's still at like 5%. I'm not saying you need to eat exactly what he does or train the same, but just take note of how methodical, consistent and focused he has been, and try to emulate that.

Most of all, enjoy it!

Mr. ?
07-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks for your comments. I'm glad that I am on the right track it is a good motivator for me. I know enough not to get discouraged early on and I just need to not expect too much too soon. Thanks again.

geoffgarcia
07-27-2004, 10:20 AM
the definition of hard gainer is someone that doesn't eat enough and expects results.

you failed to mention your fat intake.
However based on your protein/carb intake related to calories it would appear your fat intake is somewhere between 380-1000 calories per day which = 42-110g per day.
If your having trouble gaining weight this is one of the first places I'd look.

Make sure your not taking in to much saturated fat.
and boost your fat intake as its the easiest way to get calories + they slow digestion + they are the hormone catalyst of your body.
If I were you I'd shoot for 125g per day, if ur still not gaining then go up to 150g per day and then start raising your protein. If ur not gaining at 150-180 then just go up and up and up...the key is figuring out where your metabolism is, and the only way to do that is to track your diet and weight and look for the correlation.

If your not gaining at 4400 then I'd say your a hard gainer...or you have a thyroid problem.

Mr. ?
07-28-2004, 04:14 PM
I was under the impression that a hard gainer is someone who must add more to their diet than the average individual to see an increase in body weight due to their body chemistry, ie. fast metabolism. I think that is what you meant but I took your definition as someone who doesn't place importance on eating, just working out and still expects to see results. However your last statement backs up my definition. I would think I could be classified as a hard gainer if I, weighing in at buck 40, consume enough calories, carbs, protein, and yes fat too, to make the average person baloon to a medically unstable condition and see little progress in weight gain. I just want to make sure I'm not using a term inappropriately :nod:

Thanks for the advice Geoffgarcia. I'll track my fat too and see where I am at.

PizDoff
07-29-2004, 06:12 PM
I gained 37.5 lbs in 11 months.

My advice?

More. Healthy. Veggies. Workout hard. Rest. Repeat.