PDA

View Full Version : I think im calcium defficient

brewski053
07-26-2004, 09:33 PM
What can I do to replenish my body with the right amount of calcium, without havning to go out of my diet? Low/no fat milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese? I just started taking multi vits, and they have like 2-300mg of calcium in em....Any other ideas?

YatesNightBlade
07-27-2004, 05:08 AM
Get a good Calcium supplement. Why you think your low on Calcium ?

brewski053
07-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Get a good Calcium supplement. Why you think your low on Calcium ?
My bones elbows n sh!t hurt, went to a doctor, and I dont have tendonitois(sp?) Ive been taking joint support for the past 3 months, and I havent had any dairy products in 3-4months.....
Can I take a Bone Support along with my Multi, that has some of the same stuff in it but lower dosage.....

geoffgarcia
07-27-2004, 10:24 AM
as I posted on your other "calcium" thread

calcium is in just about everything you eat...I can't understand how anyone can be deficient...
track your diet on a tool like dietOrganizer for 3 days so you can eliminate calicum as the cause of your problems. Rather than waste time + money on calcium supplements that you probably don't need.

YatesNightBlade
07-29-2004, 02:51 AM
You taking in enough essential fats ?

Scott S
07-29-2004, 11:07 AM
And it's not like supplemental calcium is expensive or anything...

brewski053
07-29-2004, 11:17 AM
You taking in enough essential fats ?
I just ran out of CLA caps last week, I was taking 5g's aday.... And I try to east 2 servings of peanuts aday...

T_Chapman
07-29-2004, 11:13 PM
i have a question. this one guy told me that protein depletes calcium. is this true?

he also told me to take coral calcium because its better than the others.

just wanted to get your opinion on that.

TylerDurden
07-30-2004, 09:42 AM
protein depletes calcium? i guess if that protein goes into muscle tissue and that muscle becomes active then yes it uses calcium. I haven't seen anything that suggest protein depletes calcium in general.

geoffgarcia
07-30-2004, 09:59 AM
protein depletes calcium? i guess if that protein goes into muscle tissue and that muscle becomes active then yes it uses calcium. I haven't seen anything that suggest protein depletes calcium in general.whey protein is a great source of calcium...

You can test your brand of calcium supplement with an easy at home test. Place a calcium pill in a glass of warm water and shake it. If the calcium pill hasn't dissolved within twenty-four hours, you should change to a different brand.

Protein doesn’t actually inhibit absorption of calcium. Rather, it affects absorption in a positive way. There is evidence, however, that it increases calcium losses through the urine which could raise calcium needs. Certain types of protein–like that from meat and from grains–is more likely to have this effect

Sodium chloride (salt) consumption. One is that Stone-Age men and women did not consume supplemental dietary sodium chloride (salt), which like protein can also cause increased calciuresis (calcium excretion) [Nordin et al. 1993] and loss of bone mass [Devine et al. 1995]. Because the kidney must obligatorily excrete calcium with sodium [Nordin et al. 1993], high levels of dietary sodium are now generally recognized to be the single greatest dietary risk factor for osteoporosis [Matkovic et al. 1995; Devine et al. 1995; Cappuccio 1996]. It should go without saying that in this context, "high" levels of dietary sodium are simply normal levels in Western societies.

Imbalance in the calcium/magnesium ratio. Further, the calcium/magnesium ratio was about 1:1 in pre-agricultural diets, whereas in modern Western diets it can be as high as 4:1 [Varo 1974]. High dietary calcium can cause magnesium deficiencies, even when normal levels of magnesium are ingested [Evans and Weaver 1990]. Because supplemental magnesium appears to prevent bone fractures and can result in increased bone density [Sojka and Weaver 1995], it is possible that the high consumption of dairy products (which are high in calcium), at the expense of magnesium-rich fruits and vegetables, may unexpectedly result in reduced bone-mineral density.

Acid/alkaline dietary load. Additionally, bone mass is also dependent upon the relative acid/alkaline dietary load [Massey 1998; Barzel and Massey 1998]. Acid generated by the diet is excreted in the urine and can cause calciuresis. Meat and fish have a high potential renal acid load (PRAL) whereas fruits and vegetables have a negative PRAL, meaning they reduce acid excretion. The human kidney cannot excrete urine with a pH lower than 5; consequently the acids (mainly phosphate and sulfate) of acid-producing foods such as meats, fish, and some cereals must be buffered partially by calcium which is ultimately derived from the skeleton [Massey 1998; Barzel and Massey 1998].

Excessive intake of cereals (grains). The effects of cereal phytate in limiting mineral absorption are well-known and thereby unfavorably impact calcium uptake, though this is often not noted when considering the overall picture of calcium balance in relation to the potential for osteoporosis. In addition, the acidifying effects of cereals upon the urine [Barzel and Massey 1998] (via the kidney), cause calcium carbonates from bone mineral reserves to be used to buffer the slight metabolic acidosis caused by cereals.

Exposure to sunlight and vitamin D. Vitamin D, synthesized in the dermis via ultraviolet radiation, enhances calcium absorption and can prevent bone loss.

Physical activity levels. [Cordain et al. 1997] increased activity levels may improve bone mass despite a high protein intake.

http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=protein+calcium

geoffgarcia
07-30-2004, 10:02 AM
coral calcium

coral calcium is composed of mostly calcium carbonate, just like those you found in Tums or other calcium carbonate supplements from the stores! In addition, in June 2003, the Federal Trade Commission FTC has charged the marketers of Coral Calcium with making false and unsubstantiated claims about the product's health benefits.

http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=coral+calcium+scam

TylerDurden
07-31-2004, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=geoffgarcia]whey protein is a great source of calcium...

To my knowledge, there isn't a Ca2+ ion side chain on any known amino acid. Unless your whey is some form of geneticly mutated protein there isn't sufficent calcium in it.

Maybe you were referring to a brand of protein that also includeds vitamins and minerals?

http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=protein+calcium[/QUOTE

I think what this article is trying to say is if you over due protein consumption and increase your blood osmolarity levels your kidneys will get rid of of calcium to lower the osmole level via the renin angiotensin pathway, if my physiology is still correct.

Trent_Steel
07-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Calcium Caesonate is a kick ass protein. Cottage cheese is full of protein and calcium, if your worried eat cottage cheese.

Holto
07-31-2004, 09:51 PM
the calcium in whey is naturally ocurring like the lactose