PDA

View Full Version : healthier oil to cook food........

carlossalsa8
07-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Hi there!! I just wanted to know which oil is the best talking about nurtrition!!
My aunt said the olive oil was the healthier, any thoughts?

WillKuenzel
07-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Extra virgin olive oil is probably the best. That's what I use.

raniali
07-27-2004, 04:30 PM
coconut oil is the best
expensive, but probably the best to be used in heating.
olive oil is a good secondary choice.

carlossalsa8
07-27-2004, 04:31 PM
how about corn oil?

IdaMAN
07-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Corn is one of the worst. Trans-fatty acids aren't your friend.

ryuage
07-27-2004, 04:35 PM
isnt coconut an mct

Stray
07-27-2004, 05:41 PM
According to: http://www.mercola.com/2003/oct/15/cooking_oil.htm they concur with the Coconut oil thing as it stays the most stable when heated.

Roid_Rage
07-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Yes I agree, Coconut or EV Olive Oil, they do not lose their quality as much when heated like other oils do.

sandao
07-27-2004, 09:06 PM
I'm interested in this oil from eniva.com. I just ordered it, looks interesting:

http://www.eniva.com/products/hcs_omega9.html

100% pure-pressed avocado and safflower oils

Says it is " It is loaded with stable omega fatty acids that contribute to good health, similar to olive oil, so prominent in the healthy Mediterranean diet, without the taste of olive oil. The fatty acids in this product promote heart health, support healthy cholesterol, and aid in improving lipid profiles, brain function, and hormonal balance. "

I let you know how it tastes when it gets here. It was kind of expensive though, $13.95 for 32oz.

SW
07-27-2004, 09:12 PM
What about vegetable oil?

JTyrell710
07-27-2004, 09:16 PM
does coconut have a lotta bad fat in it?
olive oil id say

Saint Patrick
07-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Olive Oil.

JTyrell710
07-27-2004, 09:30 PM
http://encarta.msn.com/media_461524427_761556865_-1_1/Fat_Content_of_Oils_and_Shortenings.html

JTyrell710
07-27-2004, 09:34 PM
COCONUT is almost all saturated fat.
olive oil is almost all mono unsaturated.

safflower is almost all poly unsaturated.

Spartacus
08-04-2004, 08:59 PM
the saturated fat in coconut is healthy though, its not the same as butterfat

Growth
08-04-2004, 10:09 PM
I drank about 10ml of extra virgin olive oil the other day and it bloody burned my throat, sickining stuff, but like the others said, very good.

BulkMeUp
08-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Olive oil is the best.. but it has a lower burning point.. ok for mild sauteeing, but not for frying ..if u need an oil for a more severe sauteeing/frying, try Canola oil as it is the next best oil... IMO :angel:

TBone4Eva
08-05-2004, 12:11 PM
the saturated fat in coconut is healthy though, its not the same as butterfat
Huh? :scratch: That's the first time I've heard that any saturated fat was healthy. Tropical oils are loaded with saturated fat. They are the exception to the old solid at room temperature rule.

Holto
08-05-2004, 12:17 PM
there are many healthy saturated fats

coconnut oil contains Lauric Acid which has many benefits especially for the immune system

the media puts an unrealistic spin on saturated fat and cholesterol as risk factors for heart disease even though clinical research has never confirmed this and signficiantly disproven it

the problem with saturated fat is that it's not essential and our bodies can make it so when it replaces EFA's then it's not good

restless
08-05-2004, 02:05 PM
there are many healthy saturated fats

coconnut oil contains Lauric Acid which has many benefits especially for the immune system

the media puts an unrealistic spin on saturated fat and cholesterol as risk factors for heart disease even though clinical research has never confirmed this and signficiantly disproven it

the problem with saturated fat is that it's not essential and our bodies can make it so when it replaces EFA's then it's not good

:clap:

Coconut oil, butter or palm oil are the oils to cook with.

getfit
08-05-2004, 03:19 PM
i stick with olive oil but have you tried udo oil? it's awesome i'll get you the link

getfit
08-05-2004, 03:26 PM
www.webvitamins.com
www.omega-3-oil.com
www.florahealth.com

you can get alot of info here check them out

PiKappaWRX
08-05-2004, 05:39 PM
vegetable oil will hydrogenate. u want EV olive oil or coconut, personally i use EV olive oil. end of thread.

BulkMeUp
08-05-2004, 06:43 PM
i stick with olive oil but have you tried udo oil? it's awesome i'll get you the link
udos oil is great, but i dont think u can cook with it. tuttut... that is just a side note... i know the thread did not ask for cooking oils. :p

Spartacus
08-05-2004, 08:12 PM
udos oil is great, but i dont think u can cook with it. tuttut... that is just a side note... i know the thread did not ask for cooking oils. :p

true omega-3 fats are unstable at high temperatures and should be avoided in that context (as should w-6 ei vegetable oils)

sandao
08-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I finally got the eniva Super Omega 9 oil. Cooks really well and tastes great. I was slightly expensive but I think its a lot healthier than those other oils:

Per 1 Tbsp
saturated fat 1g
polyunsaturated fat 2g
monounsaturated fat 10g

not bad. all that monounsaturated is good for your heart:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/fcs/heart/hhb6-1.html

swati123
11-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Olive oil is good but i have been using MeritVCO extra virgin coconut oil..extracted from coconut milk

MeritVCO extra virgin coconut oil extracted from coconut milk
Olive oil Versus Virgin coconut oil
The Benefits of Olive Oil and Coconut Oil
Every one knows that olive oil is good for you. It has been ingrained in our brains. Extra virgin olive oil is the best. But did you know that once heated it loses many of it's benefits? This is where coconut oil comes in. Extra virgin coconut oil (vco), is the only healthy oil that retains it's nutritional qualities and benefits at very high temperatures making it the best oil to cook with.
Extra Virgin coconut oil is good for the heart, promotes weight loss by speeding up your metabolism and helping with the proper function of the thyroid gland, keeps your breath fresh, makes a wonderful skin moisturizer and softener, also works well as a sunscreen and does not wash off as easily as sunscreen lotions, works as an underarm and foot deodorant and as an antiperspirant. The benefits of coconut oil are countless!
Polyunsaturated fats and omega-6 oils which include common vegetable oils such as corn, soy, safflower, sunflower and canola, are the absolute worst oils to use in cooking. These oils are highly susceptible to heat damage due to the double bonds found in them and encourage the formation of blood clots by increasing platelet stickiness.Dr. Mercola states that Coconut oil helps to promote normal platelet function and that the only oil that is able to resist heat induced damage while promoting heart health and maintaining normal cholesterol levels is virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil is made from the flesh of matured coconuts and according to Wikipedia has 862 calories per 100 grams while olive oil has 890 calories per 100 grams.During world war II the U.S was prevented from shipping coconut oil and so other oils that were easy to obtain but not easy on the body were marketed and advertised as being good for you. After the war, coconut oil was available but kept in the dark because it threatened the market for the leading oil brands.
MeritVCO Virgin coconut oil is best cooking oil!

Virgin coconut oil is full of saturated fat . Normally this statment would scare anyone off from was considering Virgin coconut oil to be a health food.
The truth is, saturated fat has gotten a really bad reputation lately as being nothing but unhealthy for our bodies. While, this may be true of most saturated fats, Virgin coconut oil is different.
The fat in Virgin coconut oil has a unique property that actual causes it to have both antimicrobial and anticancer effects in the body. Virgin coconut oil is also used to treat thyroid conditions and aid in weight loss.
It is a mistake to assume that every type of saturated fat leads to heart disease.
The difference between the saturated fat in Virgin coconut oil and the saturated fat in other types of food is that Virgin coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid while the rest are long chain fatty acids.
This is a big deal because medium chain fatty acids, also known as lauric acid, actually help to reduce heart disease and atherosclerosis.
Lauric acid is specifically known for its antimicrobial attributes. Lauric acid can be turned into monolaurin by our bodies, which is both anti-viral and anti-bacterial. Monolaurin also helps to destroy lipid coated viruses, which include HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus and influenza.
Keep in mind that not all Virgin coconut oil is healthy, hydrogenated Virgin coconut oil is just as dangerous to your health as other trans-fats. What you need to look for is unprocessed Virgin coconut oil in order to reap the health benefits.
In addition to the great benefits that come with using Virgin coconut oil for your food, is the nourishment you could provide to your skin by using it as a daily lotion or face moisturizer.
With Virgin coconut oil, you will be able to give your skin a completely healthy and chemical-free treatment on a daily basis that won't clog up your pores.

Below are some benefits of virgin coconut oil.

Virgin coconut oil in sports to boost energy and endurance

Due to their ability to produce quick energy and stimulate metabolism, athletes have been using MCT oils to enhance exercise and athletic performance. It is very well known that during a high intensity or long duration exercise, glycogen from the muscles is used by the body as a source of energy. This leads to a depletion of glycogen which is body’s emergency source of energy. Sustained availability of energy over long period is the main factor behind increased endurance.

A study done on cyclists found that ingestion of MCT before exercise spared their muscle glycogen during high-intensity exercise (6). Since MCT oils provide a source of energy, they help the body in conserving glycogen stores for later use, thus helping to increase the endurance of athletes. For this reason, MCFA are added to many sports drinks and energy food bars in the form of MCT oil.

For most people, adding coconut oil to their daily diet helps in improving energy and endurance levels over time. Consuming coconut oil single time before a competition will not produce any significant effect. Many people have personally told me the performance and endurance enhancing effect of coconut oil on them. Massaging with coconut oil, however, seems to produce an immediate positive effect. On many occasions, my sister has told me that whenever she massaged her two sons with coconut oil, they were more active, energetic and played for long hours.

The Gasman UK
11-30-2009, 04:26 AM
You can get spray pumps for olive oil or whatever oil and one pump/spray is 0.1ml which works out as just under one calories.

Use 20 sprays and thats 20 cals. Job done.

swati123
12-13-2009, 06:20 AM
MeritVCO - High Quality Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

ExcelCombine - India's leading manufacturer of High
Quality Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and popular brand MeritVCO

What makes MeritVCO a popular brand of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is:

* Our commitment to High Quality
* Made from 100 % Organic Coconuts
* Our use of Fermentation Technology
* Trust & Positive feedback of our customers
* Growing number of MeritVCO customers throughout the world

Here are some reasons why people all over the world are
falling in love with MeritVCO Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

WEIGHT LOSS:
Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate; Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats; Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems;

SKIN/HAIR/BEAUTY
Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection; Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis; Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin; Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking; Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots; Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion; Provides protection form damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation form the sun.; Helps control dandruff.

VIRUSES/BACTERIAL INFECTIONS/FUNGUS/PARASITES
Studies have found that coconut oil can kill viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses. It also kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases; Kills fungi and yeasts that cause
candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections; Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites;
Coconut oil may provide an effective defense against many parasites including giardia. Like bacteria and fungi, giardia can't stand up against MCFA found in coconut oil. Research has confirmed the effectiveness of MCFA in destroying giardia and possibly other protozoa. By using coconut oil every day, you may be able to destroy giardia. Another possible use for coconut is for the removal of intestinal worms. In India it has traditionally been used to get rid of tapeworms. In one study it was reported that treatment with dried coconut, followed by magnesium sulfate (a laxative), caused ninety percent parasite expulsion after twelve hours. In India coconut oil is also rubbed into the scalp as a treatment to remove head lice

CHRONIC FATIGUE
By taking coconut oil daily, you may also be eliminating the possibility of developing food allergies, chronic fatigue, and other related symptoms. If you're currently troubled with these conditions, coconut oil used liberally with meals may provide a source of relief. Because MCFA are quickly absorbed by the tissues and converted into energy it seems logical that those suffering from chronic fatigue would gain a great deal of benefit.

DIGESTION
Coconut Oil provides a nutritional source of quick energy; Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance; Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids; Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose; Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body; Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis; Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes;

CURE FOR ROSACEA ( Skin Burn )
Used externally and internally, we read one report on the internet of a 15 year
bout of roscea clearing up within 2 weeks with Coconut Oil!

David Trantham
12-13-2009, 07:33 AM
personally i use macadamia nut oil, supposed to be higher in omega3 than extra virgin oil. also you have to watch out lots of times when you cook with oils they are fine until they are heated/ cooked with , which destroys the omega3 oil. i think macadamia and extra virgin olive oil has a high heat point and they are OK, but macadamia nut oil is the best.

twm
12-13-2009, 07:44 AM
i was contemplating buying some macadamia nut oil recently but went with the EV olive oil because its like half the price. maybe next time I will spring for it

david, do you buy for taste or for the composition? both? probably both.

David Trantham
12-14-2009, 09:19 AM
yea for both

Hwyman
12-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm amused by everyone referencing extra-virgin olive oil. Such a waste! Yes, it's a good tasty and healthy oil...for your salad! Heating it to it's smoke point not only ruins both it's flavor and nutritional value, but it also creates cancer-causing compounds. Not exactly a 'healthy' oil to cook with. The same pretty much applies to any unrefined oil. It's going to smoke at a low temperature (~220F), it's nutrional value will be reduced, and you will pretty much waste your money. Buy a cheap bottle of canola or sunflower oil (smoke points of 400F and 450F respectively)...it's healthier and cheaper for you. Save the extra-virgin whatever for you salad or as a dipping sauce.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=56

TKisner
12-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Canola is garbage. for further reading on it http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/question_of_nutrition_vol_7 Say what you want about t-nation, but Jonny Bowden knows his stuff.

underdog
01-05-2010, 12:37 PM
extra virgin olive is best, but when burnt it turns carsonagenic,