PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needing a little help

Spydr
07-28-2004, 09:16 AM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if what I am starting off with is ok or not. First off, I just went through a divorce so I have decided to start lifting weights and get my self back into shape. I am currently 5 ft 7 in, 200 lbs and I know very little about nutrition. I just bought the following supplements: Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, Optimum Nutrition Glutamine Powder, and Optitmum Nutrition Creatine. I know what proteins to eat and what carbs but I was wondering about eating baked potatoes for supper. Currently I eat 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs for breakfast with a glass of orange juice, snack is usually a banana or apple, lunch since I work construction is usually a turkey sandwich with low fat mayo and low fat cheese with WOW chips, evening snack is usually another piece of fruit, and supper is usually a baked chicken breast and a baked potatoe. Anyone have any advice or comments that could let me know if I am doing things right to start off or not. Thanks.

TylerDurden
07-31-2004, 09:57 PM
Um.. need more info about your stats. your 5'7" and 200lbs? If i were you i would cut the potatoe at dinner, and don't worry about the supplements until you get more involved in a program. try the WBB #1 routine to start. The supplemts are meant to help give you a boost once you've reached a plateau. The protein you can take post workout. I would try cut the WOW chips and replace it with penuts or protein shake. I would suggest cardio four times a week for 20-40 min duration deepending on your current endurance. Maybe you should do some research on this forum about HIIT, and Cyclic ketogenic diet. All in all, im sorry to hear about the divorce. good luck man!

Ğragons
08-02-2004, 09:14 AM
how come u bought all that nutrition supplements?
and u dont know much about nutrition :-s

Spydr
08-03-2004, 06:48 AM
When I say that I know little about nutrition I mean I don't really know how to put together a diet to help me with my weight loss. I've been reading the magazines and know that these supplements that I have bought are needed along with a good diet, to build muscle. I'm just confused on what carbs to eat and when to eat them.

Stray
08-03-2004, 07:55 AM
There's a few good articles on nutrition on the main site you may want to read.

Here's a good one: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=19

You can go check out the journals section and take a glance at some of the diets of the folks on the boards.

As for carbs - stick to high fiber, whole wheat options and you'll be fine.

PiKappaWRX
08-03-2004, 10:51 AM
i thought u said u knew what carbs to eat? anyways, if you're interested in cutting, you will obviously need to cut the carbs and up the protein. the one thing i see in your diet, for someone who weighs 200 lb.'s is a lack of protein and EFA's (essential fatty acids). try to throw a few more chicken breasts in through the day, and you can have more than one for dinner. also maybe try fish or get some fish oil pills or flax pills. ur gonna need nuts also, i.e. almonds, walnuts are the best.