PDA

View Full Version : will milk make a cold worse?

vegetapower
07-30-2004, 08:49 AM
Does drinking milk when you are first getting a cold make it worse? What effects does milk have on the immune system and mucus in the body?

TylerDurden
07-30-2004, 09:39 AM
no, and no effect on the immune system, of course unless your immune to it. i would take 50-100 mg of echinacea, 1000mg of vit c, about 25mg of zinc, and 500mg of bioflavinoids three times a day for the next couple of days. those products boost the immune system and the bioflavinoids have been suggested to be antivirals.

migs
07-30-2004, 09:55 AM
no

geoffgarcia
07-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Cows milk is the number one source of allergies in children, and research links consumption of dairy products, including cows milk, to colic (stomach cramps), chronic ear infections, insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (type 1 or "juvenile-onset" diabetes), acne, obesity, flatulence, constipation, mucus, and a variety of other ailments.

In his world-famous book Baby and Child Care, Dr. Benjamin Spock wrote, "I no longer recommend dairy products. The essential fats that are needed for brain development are found in vegetable oils. Milk is very low in these essential fats and high in the saturated fats that encourage artery blockage and weight problems as children grow."

According to Michael Klaper, M.D., nutritional expert and author of Pregnancy, Children, and the Vegan Diet: "Humans are the only creatures that drink milk from the mother of another species. Its as unnatural for a child to drink the milk of a cow as it is for a dog to nurse from a giraffe! Human children have no nutritional requirements for cows milk and grow up healthy and strong without it. Cows milk and the products made from it are laced with foreign, frequently allergy-inciting bovine protein and often contain hydrocarbon pesticides and other chemical contaminants, as well as health-endangering saturated fat. Clinical experience suggests that cows milk is linked to numerous common health problems (runny noses, allergies, ear infections, recurrent bronchitis, asthma, etc.) that often keep people returning to their doctors offices instead of to their jobs or classrooms. Parents should feel good about giving their children the many nutritious, tasty alternatives to dairy products instead."http://www.milksucks.com/uk/sickkidstop2.gif

Max-Mex
07-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Load of crap, IMO. As kids my brother and I averaged about 5 gallons a week. None of this ever happened to us: runny noses, allergies, ear infections, recurrent bronchitis, asthma, etc. That's just a load of PETA BS. I'm sure the body can survive w/o bovine milk, but the effects of bovine milk on the human body are not as bad as PETA makes it out to be. If you don't drink milk because of animal rights, fine. If you don't drink because of a lactose intolerance, fine. If you don't drink it because you don't like the taste, fine. If you don't drink it because of PETA and their scare tactics, then you might as well stop drinking, breathing and eating anything.

Sorry Geoff, but I hate any articles by vegans.

geoffgarcia
07-30-2004, 11:28 AM
its ok:) I didn't write it, just thought someone might find it interesting

SW
07-30-2004, 02:08 PM
I found it interesting. But I completely disagree with it. I'm no doctor but I can see Spock is from star trek.

Helno
07-30-2004, 07:49 PM
ok, ok, wow... here is what i know/experience, Milk will not cause immune 'problems' but what it will do is cause sinus problems, that is if you have a head cold. you know caughing up the green stuff, it will make that worse. if you are not afraid of some meds i recomend Zicam. I sware by the stuff, when i have a head cold, i start the stuff and the next day i am feeling much better, by the end of day two i feel 90%, just follow the package directions, bla, bla, bla

SW
07-31-2004, 11:00 AM
I have drank plenty of milk my whole life and never had any problems caused by it because the only notable sicknesses I've ever had were strep throat and sinus infection, which the doctor, I'm sure, would've told me was caused by milk. The study is bull****.

vegetapower
07-31-2004, 11:14 AM
well, I have a cold and am coughing up green stuff and have an ear infection. I have been craving fruit, oatmeal, milk, and protein powder smoothies made with lots of Ice. Should I not eat these or can I use water instead of milk? Should I continue working out?

TylerDurden
07-31-2004, 11:21 AM
you can eat that stuff, for god sakes its just a cold. you can work out if you have the energy. but i would suggest reserving the ATP for your immune system. Sleep alot and let the body go into repair mode. Even so, it takes about three days before your body will start making antibodies for the virus. so, do what feels good just don't over so it.