PDA

View Full Version : Please Explain...

raven23
07-30-2004, 11:11 AM
There are different types of suger (Dextrose, fructose, sucrose, etc..)
Can someone explain to me
1)which one is best immediately post workout
and
2)where can i get it? are they supplements? or can u get each of those from an everyday food source like fruit, etc...?

Thanx all

Anthony
07-30-2004, 11:17 AM
1) I don't think it makes a huge difference one way or another.
2) You can buy dextrose/etc. as a supplement or you could use juice/fruits if you prefer.

geoffgarcia
07-30-2004, 11:18 AM
1) dextrose and maltodextrin
2) online stores; yes; its cheaper to just buy it pure

ryuage
07-30-2004, 11:19 AM
:withstupi

id go with malto dextrose primarily... if you want to throw in a little fructose go right ahead..

faus
07-30-2004, 03:42 PM
1. In regards to post-workout nutrition, the difference is the the glycemic index of the carbohydrate to spike your insulin. In order, some of the common sugars consumed (highest GI to lower GI) - dextrose, sucrose (table sugar), high-fructose corn syrup (often found in sports drinks), honey (actually depends on what "kind" of honey), and fructose (fruit).
Maltodextrin also has a high GI, though it is a complex carb rather than a simple sugar. As a number have suggested, the perceived "ideal" carb mixture is about 50/50 dextrose and maltodextrin. This assumes, of course, spiking your insulin is what you want to accomplish.
2. Dextrose is just corn sugar. Some grocery stores sell it, though usually you need to find the "natural" markets (Wild Oats, Sun Harvest, Whole Foods). You could buy glucose tablets at a drugstore (diabetics use these), though each tablet is so small, you'd have to ingest entire bottles to equate the amount of dextrose you want.
There are a number of products you can buy online or supplement stores that are primarily maltodextrin.

Does the actual carbohydrate really matter that much? Yes and no. Any carbohydrate ingested post workout can probably be perceived as "good," since your body will need to replenish it's glycogen stores. The actual carbohydrate that you ingest will dictate how fast and efficiently your body accomplishes this process.

raven23
07-31-2004, 03:15 AM
thanks everyone, good stuff faus, but yea, usually i have a tbsp or so of honey or syrup, followed 10 min later by a moderate protien, high complex carb meal. I guess that should be fine since the diff is very minute in the diff kinds of sugar...

thanx