PDA

View Full Version : Doug Hepburn Setting the Record

chris mason
07-31-2004, 09:21 AM
Here is an old video I downloaded from Doug's site when it was still up. Very impressive for a drug-free man. It is a 380 lb clean using the split style followed by a strict press.

http://www.wannabebig.com/vids/Champ.mpg

Wu36
07-31-2004, 09:49 AM
That press was pretty amazing. Even more impressive was how he lowered the weight, unless that was shot in slow mo.

chris mason
07-31-2004, 09:52 AM
I think the lowering was in slow-mo.

ryuage
07-31-2004, 12:29 PM
:omg: i can do that! no problem...

Adam
07-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Damn! Didn't even show alot of strain on his face.

chris mason
07-31-2004, 03:11 PM
Doug was an interesting man in that he could press more than he could clean (strict press, not push press or jerk). I think one reason for this was his club foot. If you watch the video closely you will see the muscles in lower right leg are very atrophied. It makes his lifting prowess all the more impressive to me.

BigCorey75
07-31-2004, 09:32 PM
is that the record for a clean and strict press???

cause i know in the olympics top lifters clean and jerk over 500 pounds..

once casey hampton (former d-lineman for Texas now plays for pittsburg) cleans 405 once and pressed it over his head..

so is this just the record for the strict press??

still impressive tho

Isaac Wilkins
07-31-2004, 10:12 PM
That video made my day, Chris. Thanks.

chris mason
08-01-2004, 06:18 AM
Corey, that video was circa early 50s if I am not mistaken. It was the record at the time.

First, you will note he did not do a squat clean like the lifters of today, he did used the split style to do the clean.

Second, and this is the reason the press was eliminated from Olympic lifting competition, he pressed the weight in a much stricter fashion than later presses by men such as Alexeyev and Redding. The press become too loose of a lift over time.

Last, Doug was a truly drug free man. His lifts were performed way before drugs dominated the iron game. That is what makes them so impressive. If you look at the lifts in the pre-steroid era they may not seem so impressive today, they may even be commonplace. We make the egocentric error of thinking that it is our modern "advances" in training and dietary practices which make the lifts of today possible. Men knew how to lift 50+ years ago just as well as they do today. Men knew that eating a lot of food would help them to pack on the mass (albeit with a bit too much bodyfat in some cases). Supplements of today such as creatine do have an ergogenic effect, but not one so profound as the difference in weights lifted. The reason lifters of today exceed their predecessors by so much is simply the advent of steroid use. This is why powerlifting records (if corrected for equipment use) have essentially remained unchanged since the early 70s.

bill
08-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Chris do you have any stats on big Doug. He looks like a huge guy?

Wu36
08-02-2004, 01:25 AM
The thing I admire most about Hepburn is how innovative his training routines were, he tried some real crazy stuff.

MixmasterNash
08-10-2004, 09:39 PM
The thing I admire most about Hepburn is how innovative his training routines were, he tried some real crazy stuff.

Like what? That was a very impressive lift.