PDA

View Full Version : Need help with diet.

Jabberwocky
08-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Hi all, I have been reading in this forum off and on for about a month now. Since then I have went from doing just random lifts in the gym to the wbb 1 routine. I started out in May at 310 pounds no joke, started going to the gym lifting 5 days a week and doing around 11 miles of walking a day. Where I am at now is at 260 pounds lifting 3 days a week, and doing 7 intense 50 minute cardio sessions a week. I think I am on the right track as far as exercising goes. However, I'm not sure on my diet. When I started in may I just ate whatever the hell I wanted to, but since july I have tried several different things. I have been on this meal schedule below for about two weeks.

8 am. Cottage Cheese 70 cal. 12 g. of protein and 4 carbs
10 am. Protein Shake 220 cal. 46g. of protein and 6 carbs
12pm. two cans tuna 300 cal. 65g. of protein and 0 carbs
2pm. Protein Shake 220 cal. 46 g. of protein and 6 carbs
4pm can of tuna 150 cal. 32 g. of protein and 0 carbs
6pm dinner veg meal 220 cal. 22g. of protein and 29 carbs.

I am looking mainly to lose fat and gain muscle. height is 5'10 and weight is 260. Do I need more calories, protein, carbs? I generally freak when I eat alot of calories, because I fear it is gonna cause me to fatten up again. Hoping to get down to around 230 pounds around christmas time.

Drinking 1 gallon of water a day and taking creatine. Any and all advice is very much appreciated. (The fact this forum is around is very much appreciated also)

Jabberwocky
08-04-2004, 07:08 PM
also taking a multi vitamin.

archanix
08-07-2004, 03:15 PM
I am looking mainly to lose fat and gain muscle.

You need to focus on one or the other. I would suggest going on a cut and losing the fat. Once you feel like your at an acceptable weight, you can then eat lean and slowly bulk up.

As for the diet, you need some more efa's. Fat should account for ~25% of the total daily intake (peanut oil, fish oil, olive oil). Protein consumption looks good. Don't be afraid of carbs. Load up on yams/sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and brown rice. there are plenty of threads around with good low gi carb options.

Have you tried HIIT? Great for losing body fat while retaining more muscle. Tough as hell though.

Vido
08-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Your current diet is working because you are quite overweight (although I must commend you on excellent progress so far!). Your metabolism is going to pretty much be shut down already. You can continue using a diet like that for a while, but it is not the healthiest approach, and once you get to a certain point it will stop working anyway.

Given your activity level, I'm sure you could still lose weight at 12 x bodyweight in calories (so in your case over 3000 cals)...however, this is assuming a properly-functioning metabolism. To get to this point, you'd be best to increase your calories slowly (100-200 cals/per day extra per week).

Your protein intake looks good. You could afford to up your carbs a bit (quality low GI carbs like oats, brown rice, fibrous veggies, etc.), centered around your workouts. The big thing is you need more fat. Fat is what keeps your hormones operating at the level they should be. As your calories increase, try to start having a tbsp of flax or olive oil with each meal.

Archanix is right about HIIT. I disagree regarding the creatine though...it may not be necessary, but it is certainly not hindering you.

Focused
08-07-2004, 08:35 PM
I would drop the creatine too.

so whats wrong with creatine?

he shouldnt take it while cutting?

Saint Patrick
08-07-2004, 09:37 PM
I would drop the creatine too.

Yeah what the hell is wrong w/ creatine?

archanix
08-07-2004, 09:53 PM
after reading over some posts, it seems creatine will actually hold onto more mass while dieting. "the extra ATP stores and hydration levels in the muscle and body will help prevent muscle wasting from occurring. While dieting energy stores and hydration may fall below optimal levels. This will result in decreased performance in the gym. Creatine will allow you to use heavier weights while dieting to force your body to retain more lean mass. Of course, once again, as long as proper nutritional intake is provided."

i guess i was mislead. a lot of bodybuilders have discussed looking softer while cutting and using creatine. i think they just fear the water retention.

perhaps i should read more before giving advice. sorry about that obsoletemodel.

Vido
08-08-2004, 12:32 PM
i guess i was mislead. a lot of bodybuilders have discussed looking softer while cutting and using creatine. i think they just fear the water retention.

Looking soft and losing bodyfat are totally unrelated...this is where you've been lead astray.

Jabberwocky
08-08-2004, 03:28 PM
thank you all for suggestions thus far. Would have responded sooner, but I am currently remodeling my place. What exactly is Hiit? I havent heard of it before. *edit* did a search for HIIT found a sub par site with info on it can anyone recommend a good HIIT link?

Jabberwocky
08-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Also since posting this i have dumped the cottage cheese and switched back to oatmeal for breakfast. So would adding a rice cake with my 4pm tuna and say, some veggies with my postwork out shake be a way to go. And also plan on getting some flax oil next grocery trip.

Feminator
08-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Nice, 50 pounds in 3 months is great, most people will never lose that much! And you're doing it with a thought-out diet and regular exercise, most people will never be that organised and dedicated, so you're off to the best start possible!

Although I suggest you up your calorie intake to at least 1500-2000. At your weight you can eat that much and still lose weight but it will be steadier and you'll hang onto more muscle (which you need for metabolism and having a great body to reveal under all that fat!). Keep it up and people who knew you before won't even recognise you!

And other fat people will sit constantly ask you how you lost weight, and when you tell them what to do they won't do it cos it's too complicated (I know I've been there). You say 'eat 2000 calories a day' and they reply 'if I eat nothing but apples and cabbage will I lose weight?'. Best just to ignore them and go to the gym!