PDA

View Full Version : To be honest

NHSLAX212
08-04-2004, 08:35 PM
OK guys to be honest im 16 and I wanna eat the right way 2 build muscle and get a decent 6-pack im lookin at a 4 now...but i cant really afford to or have the time to keep up with a 6 meal diet or anything...anyone have like guidlines i can follow of things that are good and bad 2 help me out...of any1 got any links to places that may help me?

Jasonl
08-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Just eat as much healthy food as you can given the circumstances.

Saint Patrick
08-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Read the sticky at the top.

AllUp
08-05-2004, 09:01 AM
If you really want it you'll make time, I'm eating tuna as I type this. :D

BulkMeUp
08-05-2004, 11:32 AM
If you really want it you'll make time,
That goes for this and everything else in life!.. IMO :clown:

Holto
08-05-2004, 12:19 PM
there are no additional benefits to eating 5-6 meals VS 3-4

focus on quality and hitting your totals

IdaMAN
08-05-2004, 01:13 PM
there are no additional benefits to eating 5-6 meals VS 3-4

focus on quality and hitting your totals

I was under the impression that it will speed up your metabolism specially when you get up around 6 meals a day. After talking to my PT and a Fitness expert that is what they told me. My PT is pretty hardcore into training and he seems to know his shiznit.

TheGimp
08-05-2004, 02:25 PM
The metabolic effect of eating frequently is overrated.

Not the greatest study I know, but here it is:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=7470437

The effect of meal frequency and protein concentration on the composition of the weight lost by obese subjects.

Garrow JS, Durrant M, Blaza S, Wilkins D, Royston P, Sunkin S.

1. Nitrogen balance, weight loss and resting metabolic rate were measured in thirty-eight obese inpatients on 3.4 MJ (800 kcal)/d diets over 3 weeks. 2. All subjects were fed on 13% protein-energy in three meals/d for the first week. 3. In weeks 2 or 3, using a cross-over design, ten subjects were fed on 15 or 10% protein-energy as three meals/d; fourteen subjects were fed on five or one meal/d with 13% protein-energy; and fourteen subjects were fed on 15% protein-energy as five meals/d or 10% protein-energy as one meal/d. 4. N loss was least on the high-protein week and frequent-meal week: the largest difference was found when these effects were combined (P less than 0.001). 5. When protein-energy was held constant at 13% N loss decreased significantly (P less than 0.01) between week 2 and 3, but when the protein-energy was manipulated there was no significant N conservation in the third week. This suggests that the protein:energy value is more important than meal frequency in the preservation of lean tissue. 6. Weight loss was also least on the 'high-protein' week and 'frequent-meal' week, but this result reached significance only when the effects were combined (P less than 0.05). 7. Resting metabolic rate decreased with time but was not significantly altered by the dietary regimens. 8. Therefore, during the first 3 weeks at an intake of 3.4 MJ/d, a diet with a high-protein concentration, fed as frequent small meals, is associated with better preservation of lean tissue than an isoenergetic diet with lower-protein concentration fed as fewer meals. There was no evidence that meal frequency or protein concentration affect the rate of fat loss.

Spartacus
08-05-2004, 08:15 PM
just don't skip breakfast, and eat something before bed. when you eat in between isn't important.

sublime99
08-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Everyone is different i have found that if i eat every 2 hours small high protien moderate carb meals i gain weight better than if i eat only 3 big meals a day. The other thing is if you want to be bigger and reach certain goals you have tomake sacrifice, i remember when i was in school there was a guy who after every period would eat and after every3rd period he would have a shake and he was huge and not much fat on him either. You have to toy with your diet and make sacrifices or make time for things you don't always have time for.

TBone4Eva
08-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Yes Sublime everyone is different, but you are trying to gain weight. In that instance you want to eat as often as you can so you can get sufficient number of calories in your diet. What they are getting at above is that it's not necessary to eat every two or three hours while trying to cut.

Holto
08-06-2004, 10:36 AM
I was under the impression that it will speed up your metabolism specially when you get up around 6 meals a day. After talking to my PT and a Fitness expert that is what they told me. My PT is pretty hardcore into training and he seems to know his shiznit.

common myth

there are many studies done on meal frequency and fat loss

there was no difference between 2-5 meals and 3-6 meals

and there is not a single study that shows a difference in resting metabolic rate

there are however studies that show frequent meals improves glucose metabolism, however this is very different than RMR

Holto
08-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Everyone is different i have found that if i eat every 2 hours small high protien moderate carb meals i gain weight better than if i eat only 3 big meals a day

were you eating the exact same amount of cals in each case ?

were you accurately counting cals ?

in the case of weight gain more meals makes it easier to get in more cals

which is why it can be a very bad strategy for weight loss