PDA

View Full Version : I'm really out of options now...

Decent
08-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Late last year, I decided I was tired of being out of shape, so I made fitness a priority. At first, I was focusing more on my work out routine, then I realized how important diet was. I stopped eating microwave dinner packages, fast food, etc. To make a long story short, I've lost just over 30 pounds since I started, and I'm somewhat in shape (6'0, 185 lbs).

My problem is, I still have a layer of stubborn fat around my body, and I'm trying desperately to get rid of it. I have the discipline, the motivation, and the time. But nothing I'm doing seems to work. It's so discouraging, but I refuse to give up.

So, for the past few weeks, I've been doing 35 minutes of cardio a day, and burning 400 calories according to the machine. I'm still losing weight slowly, but my body still looks like hell.

My daily diet:

Meal 1: Kellogg's Frosted Flakes
Meal 2: Turkey Sandwich
Meal 3: Tuna Sandwich
Meal 4: Tuna Sandwich

Per day, that's 6 slices of honey wheat bread, about 5 tablespoons of mayo (I use a lot for the tuna), a few slices of turkey, cheese, milk, cereal, and a can of tuna. I did the math on the nutrients and it's about:

1345 calories, 64g fat, 146 carbs, 51g protein

On most days, I'll eat a banana or some frozen fruit mix right before my workout, so that's a few more carbs. I also drink about a gallon of water a day.

Looking at some of your totals, mine seem waaay off.

I'm clueless about what to change though. On my current diet, as poor as it looks, it's helping me to lose weight. It's just that my body looks like trash. I know it's nearly impossible to bulk and cut simultaneously, unless you're really fat. So if I add calories, I run the risk of putting on even more fat. If I reduce calories, I can continue to lose weight, but not really in an ideal manner.

So what should I do? Refine a cut diet, or do a slow bulk to shape my body?

My goal is to just get defined and lose as much bf as possible. I have no desire to put on muscle, but I want the weight I lose to be as much fat % as possible.

I just want to see my six pack.

I just want to have muscular defintion.

I just want to actually see the results of all this working out I've been doing.

Please help.

Thanks

Vido
08-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Eating 51g of protein/day will not allow you to build new muscle, nor will it even allow you to keep what muscle you have...this, and the fact that your calories in general are too low, are why you are losing weight yet don't look good.

You clearly are not aware of the connection between muscle mass and body composition, as you say you are not concerned with it. Without muscle you won't look good, no matter how lean you get. In addition, having muscle actually helps you burn more fat.

Slim Schaedle
08-09-2004, 10:25 PM
ditch the frosted flakes

JTyrell710
08-09-2004, 10:31 PM
nothing wrong with frosted flakes man, maybe you just need to reboost your metabolism, with a refeed every now and then, you do need more protein- and u might even be able to burn more fat while eating more cals and look into High intensity training and other methods

Decent
08-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Eating 51g of protein/day will not allow you to build new muscle, nor will it even allow you to keep what muscle you have...this, and the fact that your calories in general are too low, are why you are losing weight yet don't look good.

You clearly are not aware of the connection between muscle mass and body composition, as you say you are not concerned with it. Without muscle you won't look good, no matter how lean you get. In addition, having muscle actually helps you burn more fat.
Don't I need to have caloric excess to gain muscle? Don't I need to be in a caloric deficit to lose fat? I understand the principles, just not how to apply them to my benefit.

Does anyone know how I can do both?

Slim Schaedle
08-09-2004, 11:05 PM
nothing wrong with frosted flakes man, maybe you just need to reboost your metabolism, with a refeed every now and then, you do need more protein- and u might even be able to burn more fat while eating more cals and look into High intensity training and other methods

Well no, there's nothing wrong with them if you don't mind having almost half your carbs coming from sugar. IMO, there are much better choices.

Decent
08-09-2004, 11:34 PM
how old are you? how tall, how much do you weigh, any idea how much LBM you have?
do you lift? how often do you exercise? how many hours per week?
do you have an active job or a desk job?
how long have you been on your diet?
This is a lot more productive than your original post

Half of these questions were answered, but I'll summarize.

I'm 25, 6'0 and 185lbs
I lift off and on (and by that, I mean I follow routines strictly for 6-8 weeks at a time, then try different wo methods for variation)
I now do cardio for 35 min. daily
I have a desk job
I've been on the diet for a couple months now

djreef
08-10-2004, 01:12 AM
How do you feel?

Decent
08-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Other than the disappointment in my body, I feel fine. My stamina is improving.