PDA

View Full Version : Simple sugars and fats....

raven23
08-14-2004, 12:02 PM
they say you should not combine the two while trying to lose fat, that the insulin spike will cause the fat to be rushed to "Storage"....but is this just a safety mechanism to keep ppl from overindulging? Because, personally, i love to eat a PeanutButter/Honey on Whole Grain Sandwich....but this is sugar and (mostly healthy) fats....as long as this can be incorperated into my daily calorie allowance....should i refrain from it?

gopher
08-14-2004, 03:49 PM
"They" are correct. PB and honey sandwiches are not a good idea for someone who is cutting. I'm not saying that it is impossible to cut while eating them just very difficult. You would be far more effective if you were careful to not combine sugars and fats in the same meal.

TheGimp
08-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Not true, the fat is slow digesting and will blunt the insulin spike.

gopher
08-14-2004, 06:00 PM
The fat from the PB may blunt the insuline spike a little but not enough to prevent the accelerated fat storage he will get from the sugar in the honey. Even a small increase in insuline will accelerate the rate that dietary fats are converted to body fat.
PB and honey sandwiches are not "cutting" food.

Holto
08-14-2004, 06:34 PM
PB and honey sandwiches are not "cutting" food.

it is if you can base an entire meal on it

I could do that and a protein shake for a lunch

I eat 4 meals a day (aiming for 600 cals/meal)

I eat bagels with lots of butter and peanut butter all the time

the whole wheat bagel is high GI + 70% of the cals in the meal are fat

based on your reasoning I can't lose fat doing this (I'm down 73 lbs)

TheGimp
08-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Anything is cutting food, in moderation.

gopher
08-14-2004, 06:57 PM
the whole wheat bagel is high GI + 70% of the cals in the meal are fat
If you are aiming for a 600 calorie meal and 70% of the calories are from fat that leaves you with 180 calories from carbs and protein. Your bagel has at least 25 gr of carbs (probably much more than that) which leaves you at most 20 gr of protein.
That's not a very good cutting meal IMHO.
Yes you can lose weight eating almost anything as long as you take in few calories than your body uses. However, it gets a little more complicated than that if you are interested in preserving muscle mass while maximizing fat loss.