PDA

View Full Version : Legal squat ??

bill
08-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Do's the very top of the thigh have to go below knee level to be a good parallel squat? I was never quite sure if they look at the thigh and gauge parallel or go by it going below the knee. Hope this makes since. lol

gopher
08-14-2004, 03:46 PM
The accepted depth for a squat varies from federation to federation. A true parallel squat is when your femers are parallel to the ground. This would basically put the tops of your thighs parallel to the floor.

Anthony
08-15-2004, 04:05 PM
According to the IPF, a parallel squat is when "the top surface of the legs at the hip joint are lower than the top of the knees."

bill
08-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Cool Anthony , thats what I thought and I think I bothered Pete with the same question, he had that answer also. If I recall correctly.
Thanks gopher

ElPietro
08-16-2004, 07:34 AM
You should go below this depth if you expect to get 3 white lights all the time though. Training to hit depth exactly will leave some subjectivity in the judges eyes. So if you are thinking of competing keep that in mind.

bill
08-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Good Point

Saturday Fever
08-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Watch Chris Rodgers squat video clips he posts here. That should give you a good idea what a legal squat looks like.

Flying Knight
08-17-2004, 01:33 AM
Check http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/ , technical rules.

Upon receiving the Chief Referee’s signal the lifter must bend the knees and lower the body until the top surface of the legs at the hip joint is lower than the top of the knees.

at the hip joint

bill
08-17-2004, 11:17 AM
O.K. thanks guys I was pretty sure what constituted a good squat seen video's and all, but sometimes, like Elp is getting @ its hard to tell where you would get a go as opposed to a no go.

ElPietro
08-17-2004, 11:44 AM
It's also good to record your squats to see. I have seen many people "think" that they are squatting deep, but when I watch they are barely doing a half squat.

If you just go straight down, you can probably go as far as mechanically possible and still not be close to depth. It requires form and technique as you have to sit back more with your back somewhat straight, otherwise most guys with some size will have their knees forward, and glutes/hamstrings hitting their lower legs restricting the ROM. But it feels deep so they figure it is.

Chris Rodgers
08-22-2004, 07:09 PM
The USAPL/IPF are the strictest on depth. Your hip joint should break the knee. That's it. They take it to the extreme(pretty much ATF). I used to squat in the USAPL and never got a squat turned down on depth, but I saw many people get called on squats that were definitely deep enough. You can't really judge by the thigh because some people have much larger quads and it may stick up higher than others. Always look at the hip and the knee to judge.

bill
08-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks Chris thats sort of what I was looking for. Now tell me how in HELLO to 5-6-7 hundred pds???